Hurricane Idalia comin'

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Good luck to my fellow FL GT owners 🤞 🤞 Right now it's predicted to run almost directly over us in Gainesville FL. We just hoped it's weak(er) by then.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I just finished my hurricane prep on some properties. I passed this on my way home…
IMG_5552.jpeg
Looks good to go.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Good luck and stay safe! (from Pensacola)

Reactions: RPM217

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
That seems like ostrich approach to the problem 🤨

Reactions: dshears

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Cheaper than taking it to the dump.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good luck with power lines overhead

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That looks like they are going to try to go sailing with the wind.......

I do hope everyone fares OK (we are relieved this one is further north than Ian)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Good luck with power lines overhead
Yeah, that is a pet peeve of mine. That and then planting trees under the power lines. I’ve been involved with developments where the permitting authority required that oak trees be planted practically under the power lines. When I raise the issue about power line interference I get blank stares.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Godspeed to all in its path.
Stay safe.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Idalia stayed offshore just far enough that we only got a little wind and a little rain. Driveway and yard had a light layer of sticks and branches.

@Sinovac How did you fare?

Last edited:
Reactions: 69b302

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Cheaper than taking it to the dump.

That probably played a big part in the decision alright! 🤣

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Idalia stayed offshore just far enough that we only got a little wind and a little rain. Driveway and yard had a light layer of sticks and branches.

@Sinovac How did you fare?
No major problems. Thank you. The worst of it was at a vacation river property in north Florida. Power lines down everywhere, but miraculously, no damage to our property.

You can find humor in anything, and this was no exception. I brought a chainsaw, knowing that I would be fighting my way to the property. I stood at one road block caused by a downed power line pulled tighter than a banjo string to within 4’ of the ground by a large tree. I didn’t want to touch that obstacle even though the power had been turned off.

A half (or completely) drunk guy in a tank top and flip flops grabbed my chainsaw, jumped on the forks of a tractor and expertly cleared the tree in about 5 minutes, with the last piece of tree being flung into the air when the power line sprung upward, him casually stepping aside when the tree crashed down where he was standing.

I love watching experts work.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I've been known to be an "expert" from time to time.

Glad your damage wasn't too bad.