How to remove front parking light plastic covers

Brad Remington

GT Owner
May 25, 2012
Hello all,

First post to the forum!

I'd like to clean the dirt inside my front clear plastic parking light covers. What is the logical sequence to remove the covers?

Thanks!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Welcome to the Forum... are you talking about the fog light lens?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Welcome, and you have been here for almost 4 years...

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
if you are referring to the fog lamp covers, there are 2 speed nuts on the back side of the bumper cover. remove the 2 nuts and then push on the bottom stud from the backside of the lense. usually that will release the captive tabs on the bottom and then the top. pivot the lense cover out and then it will also release the 2 inner tabs that hold it in as well. go easy- they can crack but usually don't.
if you are referring to the parking lamp lenses in the headlamp, those do not come apart.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Wow, great directions NorthwoodGT. Can you reuse the speed nuts?

Ed

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
yes the speed nuts are usually re-usable. the one is a little tough to get at because it's tight to the fog lamp. you might have to use a wrench instead of a socket on that one

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
This is the short version of how we remove the fog light lenses if the front fascia is still on the car.
Place car on jack stands or hoist.
Front wheels come off.
Front splitter comes off.
RH splash shield removed
EVAP canister repositioned
LH splash shield removed.
Washer bottle removed.
Fog lights removed. Only 4 phillips screws.
Then the sheet metal nuts can come off.
11mm socket with a pick behind them and they come right off. We reuse then all of the time unless they are missing from the accident or some other shop didn’t put them back on.
We have done plenty this way.
For us it is about 2 hours worth of work. Drive in drive out.
I’m sure you can shortcut it and fight, cuss, and swear without taking all of that off but that is how we have been doing it for years.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The GTguy are Pros. If I followed all of those instructions it would probably be 6 hours to complete the job.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
yes, but have they ever worked on a GT? :willy:eek:facepalm:

Brad Remington

GT Owner
May 25, 2012
Many thanks, guys. Yes, it is the front fog lamps that have a sandy coating on the inner surface of the covers. I very much appreciate the directions - knew it wasn't a '30 minute job.'

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Rich - I reposted your procedure in the FAQ section of "05-06 Ford GT Tech," so that it will be easy to find in the future - Ralphie

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
The GTguy are Pros. If I followed all of those instructions it would probably be 6 hours to complete the job.
Rich is correct. Most of the lenses we replace, the front bumper cover is already off the car which does make it easier for sure.

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Is it normal for them and the headlights to get foggy when it rains ?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No they should not get foggy.

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
If they do get foggy, what is the solution....replacement??