How To Remove Battery

cliff

GT Owner
Jun 14, 2013
My battery is completely dead. I can't see how to remove it. Tips?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Start by removing the trunk liner. The battery is in the front below the liner. Be sure to remove the twist locks completely (even if you need to use a pliers to assist) since they will go flying around and land in the belly pan if you don't.

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
In the center behind the battery if looking from the front of the car there is a silver nut recessed. Loosen the nut and it will release the battery from the wedge holding the battery in place

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In the center behind the battery if looking from the front of the car there is a silver nut recessed. Loosen the nut and it will release the battery from the wedge holding the battery in place

Oh yeah, the retainer.

I also find it easier to disconnect the cables by accessing them from the gap between the hood and the snout instead of trying to stand on my head from the trunk side.

Note after having a dead battery (or removing it) the ECU will forget everything so it will probably not pass the OBDII emissions test as several systems will be "not ready".

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It will be easier to remount the new battery if you tie a string or pliable wire to the retaining bolt at the back side of the tray It has a tendency to slip down and it is hard to reach after you have the battery in. Be very careful and pad the fender you are working over because the battery is a dead weight and you will ding the top of the fender with your elbow. I used several thick, soft towels. After you tighten the retaining bolt make sure the tub fits in perfectly. You might miss the hold down on the back side of the tray and the battery looks like it's right, but the tub will not seat properly (about an inch too tall). Loosen it up and re-position.