Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The way the door casings are installed 'round my garage doors, entry via the above method just 'ain't' gunna happen...unless crowbars/chainsaws are used to remove everything.

(Besides, there are no windows in the doors for a crook to see through anyway...and, yes, I saw the 'crooks-can-do-this-by-feel' portion of the vid. A crook would very likely 'hit' some other place on the block that has windows in the garage doors. They're lazy. That's why they're thieves.)

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
This break in method seems to depend on having a window...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
This break in method seems to depend on having a window...

According to the vid, a 'good' thief can do this by feel. But, as I suggested above, it's more likely a crook would choose a house that has windows in the 'doors - unless there's some specific reason he wants to gain entry into into a specific garage/house.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You can also install automatic side latches that prevent the door from being raised. These are options on the Liftmaster openers and most others. They engage when the door is closed.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I agree Herb, Liftmasters are the bomb! I've had 4 of them installed for over 6 years now without a single problem and not a chance will their side locking system be opened with a coat hanger.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
No way to do this on my doors. Solid wood panels and my doors go straight up. The latch is 20 feet up.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The 'emergency releases' on the units in my downstairs garage have to be pulled straight down to disconnect them...and it's a real bear to accomplish that when standing directly beneath 'em inside the garage! 'Bottom line is no thief is gunna be able to use the subject method to get my 'doors open.

When wifey and I will be off gallivanting around for a week or two, I always disconnect the 'pull arms' from the drive motors so that anyone using one of those electronic garage door override goodies can't get in that way either. I then screw a couple "C" clamps onto the 'tracks' ahead of a couple rollers on each door and engage the manual side latches on the tracks as well. Good luck bypassing all that.

And then there's the alarm system...

"I don't mess around, boy." (- Rickey Nelson)

Paranoid (but protected) Pockets

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I agree Herb, Liftmasters are the bomb! I've had 4 of them installed for over 6 years now without a single problem and not a chance will their side locking system be opened with a coat hanger.

I went this route after talking to you Steve, and others here on the Forum after I heard about the coat hanger trick. And you don't need windows to see the center-pull quick release. The wood wedge is enough.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Liftmaster jackshaft motor - the end.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ Got those. Also have two big windows on one wall and one big window opposite. So, I rely on...

protectedbyglock.png

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I use this one

$(KGrHqJ,!pYE+LtjJwVdBQFD!I!Hg!~~60_35.JPG

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^Mossberg is good. Along with your .44 magnum. :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
^^^Mossberg is good. Along with your .44 magnum. :)

I have one of those too, but the Mossberg is easier to aim and shoot and even a 12g pump has faster follow up shots than a 44 Mag.

Longhorn

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Houston
I take some extra precautions when we're away:
1) I drilled some 5/8" holes in the track and a Kryptonite lock (designed for the front disc brake of a motorcycle) goes there.
2) On the opposite side of the door, take a motorcycle tie-down strap and secure the door down by hooking one end to one of the roller/followers, and the other end to a slot in the door track. Even if they trip the release, the door is going nowhere.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
My doors still have manual locks on them. If I ever leave the home for an extended period of time I turn off the remotes and set the manual locks.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Liftmaster jackshaft motor - the end.
My choice as well.
Track locks on the doors with regular lifts when out of town.
Doors not going anywhere.
There was a group using chain saws thru building sides.
Those problems require HK/LWRC and a good security system.
M

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
My home security includes HD video surveillance as well as other 007 traps. Not my design, the first owner was an electrician/security by trade and he went wild. Not complaining though. Oh yea and my sweet 100 lb rot.

Vince H

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Putting some Heavy Duty Commercial grade 2 1/2" Shackle locks in roller-track of doors is an easy fix

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043EVDAU/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1