How special the GT is....

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
So I realized a life long dream and purchased a Ferrari. I was going to be happy with a 360 but was told that if I could write the check for the 430,,,do it. The reason I was given, along with many others, was the fact that I drive a FORD GT and the 360 just would become dull after about 4 weeks. So I got the 430. A magnificant car!!!! Not a stch out of place, not a ripple in a fender. ....But the problem is , it is just not a GT.I do in fact love this car, but at the end of the day, the GT is far more pleasing to drive. Yes with all the electronic driver aids the 430 makes everyone on the planet look good but the GT make you work for it. And, surprisingly enough, it's easier to manage around town and more comfortable.

I realized this when I drove GTJOEY home from Lucas FORD where he parked the silver "around the world" GT for the winter. When I got home (after driving the 430) I tookt the Gt out for no reason other than just to compare. The bottom line is,,,,it shifts like butter, is more comfortable, gets more thumbs-up, sounds better and,,,,,,justs feel better.

Go figure, some piece of junk from Detroit,,,I think not. This car is a car for the ages. All who own one need to hug thm once and a while and thank the fine folks in Detroit who made this car come to life.......

Enzo you did some really good cars,,,but,,,,Camilo , Fred & Co.,,,,,you did them one better........

6s219

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 30, 2010
Covina, CA
:agree:Well said!!

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Before I bought my GT, a good friend of mine offered me his 430 drop top, for less money than I ended up spending on the GT, and fact is, the dealer sold it for him for 25 grand more than he offered it to me for. His car was a proper 3 pedal car, well optioned, good colors, etc. but it wasn't what I wanted. I don't need a Ferrari to be able to say that I own one. I tend to drive my cars, I turned over 12,000 miles yesterday on the GT, when I got it a little over a year ago, it had just 4,000 miles. Jimmy, you said it well, the Ferrari is a good car, the GT is just better!!!!!

Last edited:

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
RPM217,,,,,,,Thanks for mentioning (proper 3 pedal car).:thumbsup Yes this 430 even has a 6 speed and it still doesn't give you that connection to the drive-train like the GT. And, it's not an easy car to start out in either. You really need to feather the throttle and clutch (almost slip it). The GT on the other hand, well, lets just say "it's so easy a caveman could do it"!:driving:

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
agree. I looked hard at the 430 and every time I came close I knew I would be disappointed. (the Italia may be a different story. Jason Verlander, Cy Young winner belongs to our golf club and showed up in one recently--nice)

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Ironically - I've heard and seen this more than once....

Had a friend local in town who moved his FGT for the 430.. Just didn't have the zip as he FGT was his view... he sold the 430 in one month.

Now has a LP640 which "is an exotic - but still not as fun as the FGT"

FGT :thumbsup

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I have both a 430 F1 and a GT and I like them both. They are just different cars. I like the GT cause it is an American and it is very powerful and an exotic..........

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Do any of you that own both work on your own cars? Can you work on the Ferrari or is it impractical?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I agree 100%.

That GT clutch is like a swiss watch.

My brand new Corvette's clutch has nowhere the finesse or calibration.

The GTs shift lever engagement is like a Purdy v. Remington rifle

ps, I understand F car dealerships need to invest in $100Ks in F hardware/software that cannot be done elsewhere....

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Do any of you that own both work on your own cars? Can you work on the Ferrari or is it impractical?
Back in the "old days", I used to do lots of things to my 65 Mustang, real easy to work on, nowadays, I don't want to "F-up" my cars, I pay the professionals to do it right, rather do that, than pay them to correct my mistakes. There are many here that do a great job wrenching their own.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006

I am lucky. I have two guys here locally that have worked on Ferrari's for 20yrs. Now with the F1 clutch I would have to send the F car to phx to change. But, anthing else they can do oil, engine ect. They also work on my Lambos oil change ect....... Modern F cars and Lambos are very reliable

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I drove Mousecatcher's F430 6-speed back to back with my FGT. The 430 has great steering input & feel - equal to the GT. The footbox was perfect for me (5'9" size 8 foot) in the 430 - way nicer than the GT (sorry Kip). Lots of immediate response to throttle in Race (not the rip snorting' torque though like in my GT).

Given the choice I would take the GT any day since it's an American icon & world racing legend. Ferrari is world famous but the 430 hasn't won LeMans or anything really. It's a 20,000+ unit car destined to go nowhere (except the price - which is destined to go down!).

The GT is timeless & a true hot rod in a road race body. The GT can do anything.

Ed

PS I think I'll spend around 20 minutes this weekend to change the plugs! F430 plug change time?

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
I do what ever I can by myself on the GT. Anything big goes the Rich & Denis (The GT Guys) . Why would we trust our GT's to anyone else?

As for the 430,I'm a litle new at this one so I elected to take it in for a "seasonal service" (basically a fluid change and visual inspection). The folks at Ferrari of L.I. couldn't have been nicer. Didn't bang me for crap I didn't need. Wow, now there is a shocker!
And at $1,200, I didn't think that was too bad.......Going FWD, I will learn more about this car and go after the basic stuff myself.

GTJIMMY

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Well said Gtjimmy......yes I can attest to what he is saying, Gtjimmy had just got his car lift and had all 4 wheels off the ground waxing the under carriage.....trying to invent some kind of air scoop in the front headlites with the gtguys....true blue......Now 6 years on, the car is still the real deal....enjoy it my friend.....soon the 430 will go and an ASTON will be in the garage....but the GT will stay forever.......gtjoey1314

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
Ah Yes....The GT will stay forever... :thumbsupThe I-talian stallions will come and go,,,:thumbsdowthe British sloppy jaloppies will come and go,,,,:ackbut the GT will stand forever; an American Icon......!
:usa:usa
Respectfully Yours,
Littl'e Peep

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Fluid change and "visual" for $1200 and thats not bad? Sounds like reason 2,471 why I don't own a Fcar......

GTJIMMY

Permanent Vacation
Jun 12, 2009
Lloyd Harbor, NY
Hay MNJason,

I look at it this way,,,,,,If it was a 360 Modena it would have been like $6k.:eek In the Ferrari world I guess that makes the scheduled maintenance on the 430 a bargin!:thumbsup

And, it's $1,200 less that I have to give to my wife for some stupid kitchen appliance...Uh, sorry Honey, I spent that money on the car already. Guess you gotta buy a hand-mixer now! (he,he!):biggrin

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
(your) reason # 2472 is because there is no decent F-Car service in Minneapolis.. I almost bought an '08 Scuderia (beautiful car), but I really don't care to send the car to Chicago every year for service. That was my reason #3.

Bought the FGT - no regrets.

(though I'll buy something Italian one of these days to get it out of my system) :biggrin

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
+1000
had the choice in '07 between a red 430 with the badges, three peddles and near delivery miles and my red FGT. Sitting side by side at the dealer. Wife as expected wanted the Ferrari and kept pointing to the FGT badge on it's nose saying "but" that's a "Ford". I remained resolute for the FGT. It was the only argument I won in 20 years and my wife reminds me the only time I've been right in 20years.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Had 'em both, wrote a pretty long review of my experience. Its on here somewhere. Ferrari is gone. GT still here.

Ordered a 458, January build, March delivery. Full review to follow...