How my GT died at Willow Springs

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
I was at the Ford GT school at Willow Springs on tuesday. Neil and Richard exceeded my expectations again. Unfortunately my GT died. About 5 months ago I pulled the supercharger off and had it polished by stiegemeier. After several hours on the track, I had a failure between the snout and the housing. Oil sprayed the inside of my engine compartment and my day was over. Upon investigation it became apparent the sealant between the snout and housing failed.

I have not pulled the charger yet, but the snout looks burnt. Perhaps it is time to move to a whipple. Stiegemeier.com agreed to repair the charger, and I will keep the forum appraised of my progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 493

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Bummer.. But the new Whipple should make up for that !!!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Upon investigation it became apparent the sealant between the snout and housing failed.
It's much more likely that the shaft seal/bearing failed.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
It's much more likely that the shaft seal/bearing failed.

I think Joe is right. There is no gasket between the snout and the supercharger body - just a thin layer of sealant. I think it was the shaft seal and, as such, probably nobody's fault. In fact, I would assume it is a warranty item. It is messy, but this is probably a pretty straightforward fix.

Alternatives are, of course, the Whipple but you should also consider the Kenne Bell which will give you a newly designed snout and one that is vented to prevent this exact thing from happening. You can add virtually any HP you desire from stock to wild as you will get 5 pullies to choose from.

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
bubbles along the seam

Bubbles of oil appeared to be coming out of the seam. Neil Hanenman (ford engineer) was at the track, and mentioned there is no gasket but a thin layer of sealant, he also felt the sealant was the point of failure. When the polisher reasembled the charger, they may not have gotten the sealant perfect. It may be the seal at the end of the snout, but it did not appear that way at the track. We had done 50-60 laps at willow (2.5 mile) before the failure. Hammering the car for 140 miles located the weakest link.

Attachments

• IMG_0043_text.jpg
    IMG_0043_text.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 406

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Sorry to hear about this. :thumbsdow But the S/C looks grreat!!:thumbsup

Whipple Charged

Dec 9, 2005
Bubbles of oil appeared to be coming out of the seam. Neil Hanenman (ford engineer) was at the track, and mentioned there is no gasket but a thin layer of sealant, he also felt the sealant was the point of failure. When the polisher reasembled the charger, they may not have gotten the sealant perfect. It may be the seal at the end of the snout, but it did not appear that way at the track. We had done 50-60 laps at willow (2.5 mile) before the failure. Hammering the car for 140 miles located the weakest link.

If it came out there, then that means is was not sealed properly, whether it was warped during polishing and/or not the right type or right amount of sealant. The temp of the oil had to get near 350deg F during track running, and therefore, it can break down a number of different sealants. The oil is Ester based, and is highly corrisive.

Thanks,
Dustin

Edson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 28, 2007
Santa Monica
I was considering using a smaller pulley on the stock charger, now I am having second thoughts. A smaller pulley would increase temps and pressure in the supercharger snout. Perhaps a whipple with a 17lbs pulley. Is there any news on the new whipple?

I do like the look of the polished charger, it matches my LA lifestyle:)

Aug 25, 2006
I was considering using a smaller pulley on the stock charger, now I am having second thoughts. A smaller pulley would increase temps and pressure in the supercharger snout. Perhaps a whipple with a 17lbs pulley. Is there any news on the new whipple?

I do like the look of the polished charger, it matches my LA lifestyle:)

Edson

First of all I have seen this situation after units are polished because the mating surfaces get disturbed. Typically after polishing we will hand dress the mating surfaces making certain that they are both flat and not shiny and then use TA-16 with no issues.

Now as for a smaller pulley; this would have had not affect on this situation.

So the options; repair it, cetainly this is an easy option and inexpensive, install an alternate snout; not real value and the track record with them leaking has been high, or install a Whipple and take care of the leak and the potential smaller pulley interest at the same time

Takes care

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The polisher may have buffed the mating surfaces and rounded them off! I would think the preferred method would be to buff the unit with the snout fully assembled. That way you will never touch the mating surfaces and insure that polishing abrasives never enter the internals. You should inspect the seal area after disassembly it insure that they are untouched. If not I would just go for a Whipple and not look back. Why take a chance on something that may fail again. Besides the extra torque and horsepower transforms the car into a beast!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Whipple

Go with the Whipple!

Ed

PS I recommend Shadowman or GT Guys install.