Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
Got mine in June of 05 10,000 getting ready to put it to bed for the winter
Minnesota

SQUEAKER

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2006
Mount Joy Pa
8 months 1700 miles. Just put into hibernation for the winter. I'm sure I am going to go crazy this winter not being able to drive my toy. It sure seems like spring is going to be along time away. I'm sure I will spend more time in the garage this winter than I have in the past.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
23 days, 430 miles. Lots of thumbs up and smiles.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Five months and 2100 miles. She makes me want to drive her every time I look at her! The others are jealous .... I guess I will have to drive the others soon .... PD

futuregtowner

Sep 16, 2006
SE Arizona
OK.............so I don't call cars "her" or "she". C'mon guys, this is a BIG BAD BOB BITCHIN' guys car. Masculine muscle all the way. I used to get all kinds of scheisen on the Beechcraft forum for tellin' all the old guys over there to quit callin' airplanes "She's a fine bird". Oh puhleeeeeeeeeeease!
This is pure AMERICAN MASCULINE MUSCLEcar to the max!!!

Also, everytime I'd break in a new or remanufactured normally aspirated fuel-injected air-cooled airplane engine it was full throttle, props high RPM, full rich mixture (for cooling) for several hours until the cylinder head temps dropped. (Ergo, rings have seated). And after EVERY flight, I'd always open the cowlings to let the heat dissipate.

Do any of you guys open up the rear to dissipate heat after driving and also do any of you engine guys have any DEFINITIVE information regarding proper engine break-in for the Ford GT?

No insult intended to any of the Forum old guys. :)

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Some summary statistics

Of those who have responded so far, the numbers are this:

Year 2005 (9), average length of ownership = 9.7 months, and average miles = 3,656

Year 2006 (12), average length of ownership = 4.3 months, and average miles = 2,014

Total Respondents (21), average length of ownership = 6.6 months, and 2,717 miles

Range of miles: low = 400, high = 10,000

(I had to estimate some of the year models based on months of ownership.)

Well, it's always dangerous to generalize to a population when each unit in the population did not have an equall and independent chance for selection into the sample size. However, for those of us who have responded, we seem to drive our cars infrequently. Like most of you, I prefer to drive it for enjoyment and not for routine transportation. I wonder if we represent most FGT owners?

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
05 #1377 - 10 months ownership and 1200 miles. Not a daily driver - for pleasure only :eek - and I have a number of others to be serviced as well. In all honesty, I must admit that the last couple of months I have been hesitant to go very far until I get my half shaft bolts replaced (appt. on Nov. 13th - GT Guys) so my mileage is a little short of what it might otherwise be. I will typically drive the GT around 2000 miles per year + or -.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
500 miles - <1 month ownership. Now in hibernation.

To answer futergtowner's question - I open the clamshell every time after parking to disipate heat. Couple of times pushed to 5500 rpm and not over 140mph. Break em in in the direction of how you want to drive em :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBTGT, when you have your axle bolts done, please let me know which ones are on your car. Mine is '05 1297, so I imagine mine are similar to yours. Apparently my prized GT tech at the dealership was injured and is no longer working, so PLEASE pay attention and let me know. Sorry I can't meet you and Spirit in Big D. It really irks me that all the rest of you colors have to have mods to keep up with RED cars! Thanks FJP

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
fjpikul said:
DBTGT, when you have your axle bolts done, please let me know which ones are on your car. Mine is '05 1297, so I imagine mine are similar to yours. Apparently my prized GT tech at the dealership was injured and is no longer working, so PLEASE pay attention and let me know. Sorry I can't meet you and Spirit in Big D. It really irks me that all the rest of you colors have to have mods to keep up with RED cars! Thanks FJP
I'll be happy to, Frank. I'll call you as soon as I find out. The Quicksilver cars really don't need the mods - I'm just trying to get a leg up while I can :biggrin

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Fourteen months, 6,000 miles. Typically driven to work on Fridays if other logistics allow, and my round-trip commute is just under 100 miles (80 of which are along PCH). Also two trips from Ventura to Laguna Seca (one of which it went around the track...).

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
fjpikul said:
........ Sorry I can't meet you and Spirit in Big D. It really irks me that all the rest of you colors have to have mods to keep up with RED cars! Thanks FJP
Dr. Frank,
Wish you were going to go to Dallas; it is always so much fun passing you on the highways as was the case through out Indiana & Michigan.:lol
I do understand your desire to "hide out" form the "other colors" which are both more rare and faster than those common place "Reds" such as yours.:slap
But, we all still love you.:biggrin

Attachments

• F_Logo.jpg
    F_Logo.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 152

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Good one Fred! I was at the dealership Saturday morning and they are training a new tech for the GT. Don't know when he'll be ready, but they are also looking into the axle bolts for me. The owner himself is on the case.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Red Recall

Frank,
I got a letter from Ford saying all the red ones were defective as well as the drivers.
Don

BTW...I think the race car you commented on is Orange....not red....put on your glasses, or borrow mine!!! :thumbsup

Don

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Tungsten, good thing you didn't call me for WORLD SERIES tickets. I'm afraid I'm going to have to put you in the the same class as DBTGT, Spirit and Silverbullitt - you're all the wrong color.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Tungsten said:
Frank,
I got a letter from Ford saying all the red ones were defective as well as the drivers.
Don
Don,
I think I got the same letter right after meeting Dr. Frank for the first time.:lol

Tungsten said:
.....I think the race car you commented on is Orange....not red....put on your glasses, or borrow mine!!! :thumbsup
Don
Yea, Dr. Frank was spreading a nasty rumor a while back that I was color blind; :frown well now we all know who it is that is really color blind.:cool
It is Orange, which is as a "FASTER" GT should be.:banana :biggrin :banana

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
Update November 5th had mine out 10,000 and some miles. up to 160 and hit the revlimiter in 1st & 2nd playing with some porsch's Guy's. They don't look like bad car's in the rear view but they get so small so fast.
November 7th look to be 60 + time for more mile's in Minnesota

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
ROCMAN said:
7 Months, 1400 miles, 695 waves, 1572 thumbs up, and 846 screams! :biggrin

That's for the driver .... not the car :biggrin
Don't forget slowing down so the girls get a good look ! :thumbsup

BELIZE91

GT Owner