How Many Miles Have YOU Driven in a Ford GT? (Poll)

How many DRIVER MILES do you have in Ford GT's?

• Less than 100 miles

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 100 - 1,000 miles

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • 1,000 - 5,000 miles

Votes: 30 28.0%
  • 5,000 - 10,000 miles

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • 10,000 - 20,000 miles

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • 20,000 - 30,000 miles

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • 30,000 - 50,000 miles

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • 50,000 - 70,000 miles

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 70,000 - 100,000 miles

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • More than 100,000 miles

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Approximately how many miles have YOU driven in a Ford GT?

Not how many miles does your car have on the odometer, but how many miles have YOU PERSONALLY driven in all the GT's you've ever been behind the wheel of? This may be hard to pin down for some people for a variety of reasons, but give us your best estimate. Passenger miles don't count, and track miles don't count extra (although they should!).

The poll is anonymous, so no one will know your poll answer (your insurance company will never know if you don't want them to!). But if you want to let the world know, please post your personal miles in a separate thread response.

We all know that Jeff Larson is probably the only one who can tick off the 100K+ box in the poll, but who knows? And there's at least one person who can tick off the 70-100K box. But how many? And how many will weigh in with 100 miles or less? (And yes, I know the comments directed at EP will begin immediately!) Remember that this is an anonymous poll, and remember that the Ford GT community is very welcoming to new owners.

Please tell us something about your GT driving experiences, like how many years (or months), how many different GT's you've driven, what was your impression the first time you drove a GT, etc. By all means tell us stories, especially the funny ones!!! Stories don't have to be related to mileage or driving experience - just whatever you want to tell that's related to the GT.

Now's the time to brag about how much or how little you've driven a GT, and now's your chance to tell us your favorite Ford GT tale. Now's the time for the development drivers to strut their stuff. Now's the time for new owners to tell us about getting to know the car. Now's the time for old heads to dig back into their memory banks and share some of the stories that usually only come out at Rallies.

This isn't the old Bill Murray '70s' SNL skit "¿Quién es más macho?" ("Who is More Macho?"), so please make your milage estimates and your stories at least resemble reality!

I'll lead off by saying that I'm one of those who can't pin down an exact number, but I'm estimating 12,000 miles (in six years, and I've only driven three different GT's - that I can recall!).

Cheers! :cheers
Dick

vecca

Oct 2, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
I've only driven one GT, but it made quite an impression. I have had a few fun cars in the past, including a Porsche GT3 and an Aston Martin Vantage V8. I decided however that I really wanted to buy a car that can keep for a very long time. I thought about Ferrari's, a McLaren, and another Porsche. But each had a negative. Then a friend of mine bought a Ford GT. The first day he got it, he called and invited me to take it for a drive. He didn't have to ask twice... I had always loved the lines of the car, but for whatever reason, never even considered one. Within the first 1/2 mile, I knew there was something special about it. I spent the next 20 minutes in complete awe. The sound, the performance, the "connection" to the car. It was EXACTLY what I was looking for! The Ford GT will be my next car! In all, I've only driven one GT for a total of around 10-12 miles, but I am hooked. For me, it's the perfect car. Now I just have to find my own!

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
I've only driven one GT, but it made quite an impression. I have had a few fun cars in the past, including a Porsche GT3 and an Aston Martin Vantage V8. I decided however that I really wanted to buy a car that can keep for a very long time. I thought about Ferrari's, a McLaren, and another Porsche. But each had a negative. Then a friend of mine bought a Ford GT. The first day he got it, he called and invited me to take it for a drive. He didn't have to ask twice... I had always loved the lines of the car, but for whatever reason, never even considered one. Within the first 1/2 mile, I knew there was something special about it. I spent the next 20 minutes in complete awe. The sound, the performance, the "connection" to the car. It was EXACTLY what I was looking for! The Ford GT will be my next car! In all, I've only driven one GT for a total of around 10-12 miles, but I am hooked. For me, it's the perfect car. Now I just have to find my own!

Welcome to the GT Forum, Vecca, and nice first post! Good luck with the search for your GT. As you've probably already figured out, the members of this forum collectively know EVERYTHING you'll ever need to know about the FGT, and most will go the extra mile (or two, or three) to help their fellow owners and prospective owners. Looking forward to hearing that you've bought a GT!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I remember the 1st time I drove #1079...it was one week and one day after it was delivered. Why so long afterward? Because it took that long to work up the courage to expose that work of art to the 'unclean masses' populating the local roads - that's why.

I've told this story on the FGT Forum before:

That day, wifey and I took the GT to our favorite 'breakfast restaurant' (it was on a Saturday). Dear God, what an experience. Once the GT was parked (in a VERY safe space, BTW), and before I could even get OUT of the darned thing, the entire staff of the restaurant descended upon the car (having abandoned their duties inside!) - cell phones in hand - asking my 'permission' to take photos of it! That was my first experience with the "Custer at the Little Big Horn" syndrome.

I had let wifey out at the main door of the restaurant so she could go inside and get us a table...where upon I drove the GT around the building to the afore mentioned "safe" parking place. Once I had parked the GT, it literally took me about 10 minutes(?) or so to make it from the GT to the main door of the restaurant (normally a 10 second walk) because of all the people who stopped me to ask questions about the car. Wifey actually came outside LOOKING for me at this point because it was taking so long for me to come inside! We were subsequently interrupted several times during our breakfast by people wanting to know this-and-that about the car. It was unbelievable. NEVER have I owned a car that garnered that much interest/attention...and I've owned 'one or two' darned nice cars.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
That explains why you didn't drive it anymore after that. :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Eeeeeeeeeeeh, shuddup, Clinton!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I've probably driven about 10 GT's but the only one I've driven much is my own. About 13,500 miles. I've pulled it in it's Trailex probably twice that distance going to and from all 8 Rallies, Heffner in Florida, Texas & Mojave Miles, and countless performance shops. #34 has been everywhere.

Chip

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Gimme a "not enough" option !

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Turned 36,000 miles on Rally 8. But hey, Flagstaff has long winters.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Nearing 13,000 miles. The car had 3,000 when I bought it in July 2012. I had never driven a GT. Never even sat in one. Never saw one on the road...and that holds true to this day (excluding meets, shows, etc.). My first drive in my car was 3 days and 1,000 miles from Chicago to Virginia. The smiles haven't stopped yet.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
2500 +. The longest drive was up to Rally 8 this year. Looking forward to many more as I can't get the joy of that drive out of my mind. So hooked.

Vince H

550rwhp

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2012
North of Dallas, Texas
new wheels profile.jpgI first drove a FGT in 2009. It was a TT/SC done by Hennessy and a co-worked owned it and just gave me the keys to drive. I couldn’t stand how hard it was to drive and didn’t understand why it was so slow off the line. I drove it for 10 minutes and that was it. Upon further reflection, I had it in third gear and didn’t know it. Even though the driving experience wasn’t positive I have always loved the car and purchased one from a friend in Lufkin Texas about a year ago. The day I went to pick it up was the first time I actually saw the car and I was blown away. I have put some 3,000 smiles on it and catch myself smiling every time I see it in my garage. My wife teases me, asking if I kissed it goodnight. I tell her I am just making sure the green light on the battery tender is on and ensuring she closed the garage door. The car is my escape both when I drive it and when I clean and wax it. I love to push the start button and listen, then drive. It’s an amazing car.

Last edited:

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Turned 36,000 miles on Rally 8. But hey, Flagstaff has long winters.
Ooooh, plus about a 1000 miles from the drive back from New Orleans when my sender went out at NOLA Motorsports and the speedometer and odometer quit ($36 for new sender)! And I will never have to check off the statement that the odometer reading is not correct on the sale of my GT, cuz it ain't never getting sold.

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
As of last night my odo shows 107,890.8.

A little over 10,100 since the first of August.

Still going strong and no real issues. Thanks Ford.

(and according to the poll results I'm a 1%'er)

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

You're a 1%er in a lot of ways, Jeffey! :thumbsup

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Me too, for now....

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
As of last night my odo shows 107,890.8.

A little over 10,100 since the first of August.

Still going strong and no real issues. Thanks Ford.

I assume when you say no real issues .You are referring to the car

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I assume when you say no real issues .You are referring to the car

I must have been thinking of you when I typed that portion of the post. Or was it Dr.Frank? Or the florida kitty,kitty cat fellow? Trouble is at my age I just don't remember.

I have serious issues. Speed limits that are generally artificially too low and having to accept the fact that stupid drivers seem to be multiplying.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Me too, for now....

Your #1 in my book, even though #2 is a bit broken, you'll be catching me.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Although this is my second GT and I've put on 53,000 plus miles, I did 22,000 odd miles on the first car. I guess that is a total of 75,000 miles. I have driven the GT to every single rally ( 8 so far ) as well as a few other additional events. I've not only tracked the car but donned it with more power, hoosiers, bigger brakes, track suspension and many personal appearance tweaks. The car is perfect for me as it may be best described as my lifestyle. That is, like I treat and appreciate everyday as a special day or gift to be fully taken in, so I feel the same about my GT. The GT and my experiences as a result are a boyhood dream come true!