How long to wait to cover your GT?

GTme

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
How long do you guys usually wait to let your GT cool down before putting a cover on it?

teej

GT Owner
Jan 12, 2010
West Los Angeles
I tend to open the clamshell when i park it at home, and then before i sleep I tend to close the clam shell & cover it up

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
I would be reluctant to put a cover on a car that has been driven until it has been cleaned. Even small amounts of dust or dirt can scratch your car when the cover moves around on it or during covering or uncovering.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
How long do you guys usually wait to let your GT cool down before putting a cover on it?

1475 days, so far.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

1475 days, so far.

I never covered mine either. 'Used filtered h.p. air to blow off dust, etc.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
1475 days, so far.

Exactly....here too!:agree:

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Don't own a cover.

tmctguer

GT Owner
Jan 11, 2010
dana point, CA
i kept my 911 Speedster under a thick felt-like car cover at all times so day-to-day bumps in the garage would not mar the finish. for my GT, i bought an indoor car cover that keeps dust away but is not thick enough to protect against small dings. i really bought the wrong kind and am thinking about selling it on this board because i don't think i can return a custom car cover. i will most likely buy another cover that does the same thing as my Speedster cover. to me, a car cover is better than having scratches that come garage dings.

but to answer your question about how long i wait, i definitely open the clam shell for 30 -60 minutes to allow engine heat to escape before i cover it. i do it to cool down the clam shell, not for protecting the car cover.

Last edited:

GTme

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2010
thanks!

Thanks for all the great responses, really appreciate it!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Exposed.

The only car cover I use is my garage. I don't drive my GT every day but I do enjoy it every day. I admire it before getting into my Taurus to go to work. A car cover would ruin that daily study.

Covering a GT in your garage would be like being married to a supermodel and making her wear a burka. I want her naked at all times!

Chip

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I'm with Jason Heffner on this topic, I've seen far more damage done than would have been prevented over the years by people using car covers. To each his own though, I personally would rather spend the car cover money on a water deionizer to wash and rinse my car spotless every time. :thumbsup

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
5yrs or so no cover

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Never use cover. Mine is still in the original black plastic bag, never opened.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Never use cover. Mine is still in the original black plastic bag, never opened.

+1

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Any minor sctatches caused by fine grit under the cover can easily be polished out. I use two covers; a CCC Dustop underneath the factory cover - so I have a nice look and enhanced ding protection in the garage. After a drive I open the clamshell for a couple hours to allow the engine bay to cool and then install the covers. The last ten minutes of the drive home is essentially a cool down lap so the car is not too hot when I finally shut it down.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I have a stretchy "gucci" Cal Cover, but I find I do not use it. I have started using thin painters plastic (2 mil). something like $50 for a roll. Use it, and toss it. Sadly, up here in the NE, we go several months with out the car moving, nice to keep the dust off it.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
My garage door opens over the car, so I often have fine debris falling on my car from the wooden ceiling/door - no air filters in my garage. I'd never dream of leaving my car uncovered so I can protect it from garage dings, dust, bird crap, insect crap, etc. I don't use the original car cover, but instead bought one from Calif Car Covers that is padded and keeps the dust off.

I don't have a time limit as to when to cover the car because it depends on the outside air temperature. I usually park the car and then just before going to bed, I cover it. I also feel above the lid vents with my hand and if I don't feel any heat escaping, I cover it.

OzarkGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 4, 2009
Hmm good question, I was wondering the same thing. I keep 4 cars covered on 2 lifts in my garage, to me, it seems to help keep the dust off and protect the paint from any ultra-violet rays that may shine thru the garage windows.

But I am worried about trapping heat under the cover (after driving) that may cause some of the plastic warping that I have been reading about. Is this what causes the warping? Or is it just from normal driving?

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Here's an idea thats somewhat different. I took two Kingsize sheets and sewed them together (high thread count,and soft) and use them when I'm driving my GT often. If I don't want to cover my car I use the sheets. Works well for me as I keep my autos at my office and building (man cave). I wash the sheets often and it drapes well over the GT and keeps it very dust free. Tomy Hamon PS For winter storage I use Car Bubble wnich is time consuming.