How Do You Open the Trunk if Battery is Dead?????

Ole Blu

Ole Blu / Ford GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 23, 2008
Covington, LA
Not that this has happened to me yet but since the battery mounts inside the trunk and the trunk access is electronic how do you open the trunk to change a dead battery???? -- Ole Blu:confused:confused:confused

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
With the key and lever on the outside in between the fender and driver door .....

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...The jaws of life...

(No! 'Actually what Shelby said!)

Ole Blu

Ole Blu / Ford GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 23, 2008
Covington, LA
Duhhhhhh !!!!! Thanks guys!!!! Really, I am not blonde !!!!!!!

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Everyone should try their manual trunk latch to make sure it works. Mine doesn't. Took the business end apart to see want was wrong. There is a bulb like thing on the end of the cable that gets pushed into the latch trigger thus opening the trunk when the handle is pulled up. The cable is intact and if I manually pull it from the housing the lever by the fender/door will pull the cable back into the housing when the lever is placed in the closed position. So the problem is on the lever end of the cable. I plan to remove the fender liner next and see what the problem is on that end. If anyone else has already been there I would appreciate any comments. I would guess if the battery went dead and you plugged a battery charger or other jumper source to the vehicle the remote would open the trunk. I have not tried it though.

AJK

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Everyone should try their manual trunk latch to make sure it works. Mine doesn't. Took the business end apart to see want was wrong. There is a bulb like thing on the end of the cable that gets pushed into the latch trigger thus opening the trunk when the handle is pulled up. The cable is intact and if I manually pull it from the housing the lever by the fender/door will pull the cable back into the housing when the lever is placed in the closed position. So the problem is on the lever end of the cable. I plan to remove the fender liner next and see what the problem is on that end. If anyone else has already been there I would appreciate any comments. I would guess if the battery went dead and you plugged a battery charger or other jumper source to the vehicle the remote would open the trunk. I have not tried it though.

AJK

Mine didn't work either, new from the dealer. I got the whole assembly from lever to latch replacee under warrantee by the dealer. Good service, no damage to the car!

:thumbsup

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
...The jaws of life...

(No! 'Actually what Shelby said!)

:lol:lol:lol:lol That's that Pockets we all love. :thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
AJK, the solenoid on my latch went bad. The whole mechanism is one unit, from the inside, center mechanism, the cable, and the fitting leading to the side latch. Pulling the fender liner is a real bitch of a job and we were able to replace the mechanism without pulling the liner completely off. At one time, people thought the SJB (smart junction box) was involved in the remote programming, but it is not. Good luck. Be very careful and don't bend the aluminum fender while screwing with the fender liner.