How do you like your Crispy Fried.... cars???

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
http://jalopnik.com/this-600-000-po...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

k-bigpic.jpg

FYI - It was my GTR on the truck... once car was a couple of days late we finally got a call from the transport company stating that there was a fire and that the car might have some smoke damage... when i finally found the car and flew and saw it, it was quite a bit worse... deja vu...

PM me for the names of the trucking companies, which funneled through one broker, to another broker, to the final transport which did not have enough insurance to cover the load....

not good...

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't even know what to say about that dude. Ugh. That is just crazy. Technically they weren't lying, the car did end up with some smoke damage. :ack

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
This is the email notice that went to the owners from the transport company with sensitive names taken out due to legal action which has been filed... pretty pathetic...

I have received some phone calls inquiring about my previous broadcast e mail I sent you earlier this week. I apologize if I was not clear as to its purpose but l will try to explain its ramifications more fully…
1. We have completed inspections of the six damaged cars as of last weekend. I expect that we will be able to circulate the appraisal we did to each individual owner later this week. When you get those documents, please take a look at it to verify accuracy.
2. Although we presently do not have the dollar numbers to provide, it appears for certain that the total damages for all six cars will exceed policy limits of $350,000. When such situations arise, each car owner will incur a partial loss of their financial interest in their car.
3. Neither [COMPANY NAME REMOVED] nor my company have any ownership interest in your cars. Given that even despite the loss, some residual salvage value remains of the cars, you as individual owner(s) of the cars may want to protect that remaining financial interest. We have arranged to pay the tow shop in full for the tow and storage costs to all of the six cars. If some or all of you wish to pick up your car(s) from the tow yard, all you have to do is present documentation of ownership of the car and the car will be released to you. No tow or storage fees will be presented to you by the tow yard for any of the six cars.
4. If you choose to pick up the car or otherwise dispose or sell it, you will need to do so at your own expense with your own driver, tow vehicle or other means of transportation.
5. I have spoken to the owner of the tow yard about time tables as to how long he will continue to allow the cars on his premises to not be charged additional storage fees. He promised to be "reasonable" in this respect as long as the cars are picked up as soon as possible. The daily charge he would normally be charging for a car towed to his yard is $35 per day.
6. I know that the ownership interests involved collectively for the six cars is widespread across the USA so I want to make sure you have time to remove your car(s) if you choose to do so. We will not be allowing any additional storage fees beyond 4/25/2013 in recognition of that factor.
7. Please keep in mind that tow yard operators can and do file lien rights on vehicles that are abandoned on their premises. We just want to impress upon you that you should not look upon the tow yard as a rent free storage location on a long term basis. You do not want to be surprised if one day you find out your car is no longer at the tow yard and you find out it has been sold to other(s) for whatever reason.

Most of you in this memo are probably well versed in the ramifations of tow yards and how they operate. But I just wanted to be clear that removal of your car(s) requires actions on your part and by acting promptly you can avoid any later loss of value regarding salvage. If you have any questions, please call.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...2. Although we presently do not have the dollar numbers to provide, it appears for certain that the total damages for all six cars will exceed policy limits of $350,000. when such situations arise, each car owner will incur a partial loss of their financial interest in their car. ....

wow!​

Last edited:

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
What an effin' bummer. SCM just had an article in their "Legal Files" section about this. It covers what happens when a friend, mechanic, or transporter damages your car. Ray...you've experienced 2 of the 3 scenarios and I truly feel for you.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Jesus!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Makes you pause whenever you have to ship a car. Most carrier are underinsured I haven't seen one with more than 1 mill. I assume payments will be made prorata, so if a Veyron is traveling with your car you don't have much coverage at all.

Last edited:

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
I used to work in trucking. Double/triple brokering is a common problem. Your safest bet is:

Ask the company you are talking to if they will use a company truck or a brokered truck to haul your car. I advise against brokered trucks but I'm not saying all are bad.

Request an insurance certificate showing all of their coverage amounts.

If you can't be present when the car is loaded, insist that whoever is handling the loading calls you before it's loaded. This way you can verify the name on the truck to the name listed on the certificate of insurance.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
So sad.. :frown :frown Sorry to hear this happened to you Ray...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That really stinks. Your insurance company will cover the car if you had coverage. They will then file a subrogation action against the companies involved. This is a good example of why it is important to have your own coverage in place when your car is being transported. Many people won't insure a newly purchased car until it is delivered to their doorstep, which is taking a huge risk. I've been careless with this in the past but had luck on my side.

On the subject of insurance, those with agreed value coverage on their GTs should review the coverage limits in light of the run up in prices.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Damn Ray...that really sucks. Unbelievable!

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
ATTENTION: Do check your coverage on your GT as I just renewed my policy and raised my value considerably because of current sale prices on our GT'S. We all should never be uninsured.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
ATTENTION: Do check your coverage on your GT as I just renewed my policy and raised my value considerably because of current sale prices on our GT'S. We all should never be uninsured.

I'm not very insurance smart, other than to insure anything of significant value as soon as I am the legal owner, but...as far as I can tell, the only policies that let you have agreed value also limit mileage. I drive my car more than the Hagerty and Classic limits. Am I missing something?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm not very insurance smart, other than to insure anything of significant value as soon as I am the legal owner, but...as far as I can tell, the only policies that let you have agreed value also limit mileage. I drive my car more than the Hagerty and Classic limits. Am I missing something?

If you don't have an agreed/stated value policy, you don't need to worry about it. If your car is a total loss, your comprehensive or collision coverage will pay fair market value (ha, ha). Those with agreed/stated value policies must understand that those policies are a 2 way street. The company is only required to pay the agreed value even if it is substantially less than the fair market value of the car. I would think that cars in the 5-10k mileage range (excluding the Heritage cars) should be insured for no less than 200k.

Last edited:

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
State Farm is well aware of the increasing value of my car. Changed the rate code and increased the premium a bit at renewal in March. Rate code is for cars over 200k.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
What is it with you and cars? Sorry, good luck.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Jeeez Ray - why does this happen to you? Even then, you are never personally even 1,000 miles of where the car is.

After reading that letter posted I even felt violated. You've just been Grin F'd ...........and by the way remember tow companies charge $35 per day for the destroyed car.

Sorry to hear this.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
State Farm is well aware of the increasing value of my car. Changed the rate code and increased the premium a bit at renewal in March. Rate code is for cars over 200k.

I'm sure if the value plummets, the good neighbor will voluntarily reduce your premiums too.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
This is a good example of why it is important to have your own coverage in place when your car is being transported. Many people won't insure a newly purchased car until it is delivered to their doorstep, which is taking a huge risk. I've been careless with this in the past but had luck on my side.

On the subject of insurance, those with agreed value coverage on their GTs should review the coverage limits in light of the run up in prices.

Ditto on the bold. Not anymore. The moment I get involved in a car, I call Classic and have Drew put it on the policy.

If you don't have an agreed/stated value policy, you don't need to worry about it. If your car is a total loss, your comprehensive or collision coverage will pay fair market value (ha, ha). Those with agreed/stated value policies must understand that those policies are a 2 way street. The company is only required to pay the agreed value even if it is substantially less than the fair market value of the car. I would think that cars in the 5-10k mileage range (excluding the Heritage cars) should be insured for no less than 200k.

x 2 again.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
That sucks! I didn´t see any pics of your car - is it as damaged as the others?

Do they devide the total Insurance into 6 equal portions or do they make a calculation based on each cars value vs total load value?