How do you know if a Cobra is real?

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
RAD: These debates on Club Cobra are passe' for years especially since the 4th Edition of the SAAC World Registry of Cobras & GT40s was issued which really settled the debate.

Sinovac: Technically you are dead on the money. Read the Registry. Also refer to Webster's Dictionary ; )

I bought my Shelby knowing fully what it was and what it wasn't.
If it doesn't rain this weekend you can bet I will be driving my genuine Cobra thats an exact replica of the original series LOL ; )

BTW the 4th Edition of the Registry has a great history of the 2005-2006 FGT
that is VERY thorough and detailed beginning at page 1217 to 1228. After reading this you will know just about all there is to know about the FGT.

Last edited:

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
There's a thoughtful and non arbitrary approach. Lol.

There's one in every crowd.

I was just having some fun with a very old subject that has been beat to death on several forums.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
:dead: :dead: :dead:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That's a nice kit car you have there!

And I've been seriously asked if my Ford GT is a kit car.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Unlike most other forums, we can have spirited discussions here without the conversation deteriorating into vulgarity and personal attacks.

Waxer-I routinely pay more for Ford Racing parts, even though I can get the exact same part from a different vendor, just because I want the Ford Racing logo, so I know where you are coming from.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Unlike most other forums, we can have spirited discussions here without the conversation deteriorating into vulgarity and personal attacks.

Waxer-I routinely pay more for Ford Racing parts, even though I can get the exact same part from a different vendor, just because I want the Ford Racing logo, so I know where you are coming from.

l Agree 100% and appreciated and enjoyed the dialog.

Subject has been resolved by SAAC and the Registry.

Also for those that post the "beaten horse" icon you are always free to skip over the thread. I would also note this subject rarely comes up on this forum and is not really brought up often at all anymore on Club Cobra in view of SAAC's offical position set forth in the Registry. Also it should be noted it was not me who started this thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO

Coincidently enough at a car gathering last year a Brit car enthusiast suggested I go park by the Cobras, "to be by the other kits".

Last summer I had a guy come up to me when I was refueling the GT and ask "did you build the kit? It's a great job!" He had a hard time believing it was Ford factory built ...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I brought the GT out to Gardena, and met a couple other Ford GT owners. Bunch of photos from the Carroll Shelby Tribute show today. Taken with my wife's compact Sony RX100.

DSC02255_zps59a9f1ae.jpg

DSC02250_zpsf303224d.jpg

DSC02246_zpsf23f2189.jpg

DSC02237_zpsd6e6b973.jpg

DSC02227_zpsa3955066.jpg

DSC02226_zpsb4d1ff24.jpg

DSC02223_zpsd792ce25.jpg

DSC02220_zpsebc0e135.jpg

DSC02219_zps7e503a54.jpg

DSC02218_zps9f15f74d.jpg

DSC02212_zpsbfb68b84.jpg

DSC02211_zps169b01dd.jpg

DSC02209_zpsd24c74f3.jpg

DSC02206_zpsbb50b06d.jpg

DSC02204_zps6a41c085.jpg

DSC02202_zps58ce4c5c.jpg

DSC02199_zps766422e7.jpg

DSC02197_zps89475074.jpg

DSC02194_zps6dc5a2a3.jpg

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
:lol

Great pictures as always. The Essex Wire and copper Kirkham are sweet. Thanks for posting.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Funny, when I arrived at the show, the gate keeper didn't know where to put me. He thought I was driving a kit GT40. Then he jumped back and was, "Oh, you're a Ford GT! (modern)." And another Ford GT owner said that since my car is all black and stripeless it visually looks smaller than the other Ford GT's and he said from a distance, he actually thought it was a kit too at first when I arrived.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
CSX 3047 was in the possession of a friend of mine and Cobra expert (he is also an amazing hot shoe and was very fast driving CSX4027 and his Winston Cup car at many track events around the country) here in NJ for a while. I had the chance to examine the car in his garage before he moved it on.

Rad: Whose facility was the event held at ?

BTW I think Shelby's Series 1 is a definite car to acquire.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

I went to a Street Cruiser and Hot Rod show today as a spectator. I drove the GT. The guy directing parking, and wearing a cruiser club shirt said "That is the nicest kit car I have ever seen." Me: "Dude, I know your head is stuck in the '50s, but you need to come back to the future once in a while." :lol

mrscape

GT Owner
Nov 14, 2011
san diego
:rofl Xcentric, the GT just loss 100k in valve.ha ha ha.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
I don't believe the original GT40's and CSX's were considered "Component Vehices". They were factory manufactured vehicles ready to be titled without the need for additional construction.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I don't believe the original GT40's and CSX's were considered "Component Vehices". They were factory manufactured vehicles ready to be titled without the need for additional construction.

That is correct. The component vehicle ("roller" - finished body sans engine and transmission) allows them to build them without having to meet current emissions and safety standards. It's particularly relevant to Shelby American who has maintained Manufacturer status - remember they won the manufacturer's cup - with the Shelby Series 1 being the last fully manufactured car.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Gotcha, that was my understanding. Thanks.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Cobra Truck

Good bet that if it was delivered on this car hauler...it's a "real" Cobra

461466_10151936908179782_1703595504_o-1.jpg

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Nice, Jeff!!

That Bartoletti transporter has a very interesting history -

It was first purchased by Lance Reventlow for transporting the Scarab Fomula 1 cars in Europe (circa 1959/1960). It went through a number of owners, including Lotus, Camoradi (Lucky Casner's Birdcage Maseratis), Shelby Automotive (for the Cobra Coupes and GT40's), Alan Mann Racing (Cobras & GT40's), and some private owners until it would up in a legal dispute and spent many years in a holding area in Arizona. Don Orosco purchased it in 2006, restored it to Scarab livery for about $600,000, and had it at the 2008 Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races, where it gathered a lot of attention & where I took these pictures.

I Happened to drop by Don's offices in 2008 and saw it there as it was finishing it's final restoration assembly, and, coincidentally when Wouter Melissen was shooting pictures for his ultimatecarpage.com website (he also took some pictures of my GT at the time, as he hadn't seen one with a Gurney Bubble).

A couple of article links regarding the story of the transporter are givin below :

http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...l_american_f1_scarab_transporter/viewall.html

http://www.sportscardigest.com/cars-for-sale/transported-back-in-time-1959-fiat-3062-bartoletti/

An interesting piece in the 1st article is the statement regarding David Piper's ownership:

"David Piper acquired the transporter and painted it in his signature green. Piper rented the Bartoletti - which he described as "an exact twin to the Ferrari transporter" - as a prop for the movie Le Mans. According to legend, it was painted first in Gulf blue to serve as the Porsche 917 car carrier, then repainted red for a scene as the Ferrari 512 transporter."

What attracted me to this statement was the fact that in 1962, not having any lodging nearby, I slept in the Ferrari transporter at the Nürburgring during the Formula 1 German Grand Prix (Obviously, my old Ektachrome slides have not held up too well)

In the last picture, you can see Phil Hill in the light blue pants/dark sweater in the middle, and Ricardo Rodriquez in the white hat/dark sweater towrd the right. The group in the back are looking at Foglieri's new design (to replace the Sharknose 156) for the following year.

Last edited:

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Good bet that if it was delivered on this car hauler...it's a "real" Cobra

View attachment 29059

Can't argue that statement.

Ralphie: nice pics and info. Thanks for posting it.