Hose support SS springs

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Okay, the springs have been out for a while now... any results/feedback?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
coolant hose springs

My dealer just installed my springs ($292.15 total - labor, distilled water, 1 bottle Water Wetter, 1 bolt #4G7Z-16163-AA). On Oct 5 I take to the track which is the real way to test it. I'll let you know then.

Ed

Aug 25, 2006
My dealer just installed my springs ($292.15 total - labor, distilled water, 1 bottle Water Wetter, 1 bolt #4G7Z-16163-AA). On Oct 5 I take to the track which is the real way to test it. I'll let you know then.

Ed

I chatted with Dave yesterday and he said that he had picked your gal to put her under the proverbial knife; I too remain interested in your results.

It would appear that (as expected) they treated you very well.

Takes care

Shadowman

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Harrold Ford

Hey, my dealer picks up my GT & drives it to the shop. When she's done he returns her to my garage all cleaned up. No extra charge. He has 2 personal GTs & loves them. A dealer who is a gearhead is rare nowadays.

Ed

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Hey, my dealer picks up my GT & drives it to the shop. When she's done he returns her to my garage all cleaned up. No extra charge. He has 2 personal GTs & loves them. A dealer who is a gearhead is rare nowadays.

Ed

Ed that is just FANTASTIC service that stands out big time, other dealers should be taking notes. Harold Ford gets a big :thumbsup. I will have my fleet dept work with them on our next order, because of your note on the great service you have had.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX

Ed

Looking forward to your report!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I installed the springs too with 20% coolant and Water Wetter. I still have the front grill though. I will be at the same event as Ed and we can compare notes on temps.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I installed the springs too with 20% coolant and Water Wetter. I still have the front grill though. I will be at the same event as Ed and we can compare notes on temps.

I am in the same boat as you. I still have the grill in place but I added the springs 20/80 mix and some water wetter. I am interested in the track results. The last time I was on the track, I had to pull into the pits for a little cool-down time.

I haven't noticed much of a change in my daily driving temps but I didn't expect to see much change there. Although I do typically run it at 4000+ RPMs. My GT stays around 200.

Have fun tomorrow and be safe!

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Any update on the temps?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
The track day was cool in the low 70s so my coolant temps were only about 200 all day. Not a valid test.

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Ran mine in Chicago on the weekend. Air temp was about 88F and the newly installed hose springs didn't do SQUAT. Same as usual, run for 10 minutes then approach detonation temp of 242F. THIS SUCKS!!!! :thumbsdow

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Went to Sebring this past weekend with the springs and reduction in coolant to water ratio and a bottle of water wetter. Track temps were a few degrees cooler than last time. Last time the temp needle would rise to 230 shortly after any significant throttle application.

This time, never saw over 220 and I pushed much harder, more boost for longer periods.
Much improved, but not sure it is all due to the springs as multiple changes were made at the same time.

FLASH

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 29, 2006
Atlanta, Ga.
I also had the track overheating problems 235 degrees before I backed off and was very disappointed with the cooling system although the air temp was between 95 & 100. I had the springs installed and also had the engine mapped so that the low and high speed fans come in earlier. Now with cooler temps in Atlanta on the street it runs between 165 & 180, almost too cool. I missed a track opportunity to really give it the track test a few weeks ago but I feel the problem will be solved. I will track it Dec 1 & 2 at Road Atlanta but the track temps will be much cooler. A sfar as the bleeding issue, my technician thought he got most of the air out of the system but he gave my one gallon of 50/50 antifreeze and said to check the coolest level. I drove it for awhile let it cool and had to add about 1/2 gallon. I went through the same process again and added the other 1/2. Since then after several cycles the tank is full.
I'm waiting for Ed Sims results this past weekend, I believe his results will be a good measure.
Flash :banana

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Air it out.

Ran mine in Chicago on the weekend. Air temp was about 88F and the newly installed hose springs didn't do SQUAT. Same as usual, run for 10 minutes then approach detonation temp of 242F. THIS SUCKS!!!! :thumbsdow

I would bet you've got a lot of air in your cooling system. If you've taken the supercharger off of your engine to swap your pulley you have introduced air into your cooling system. I understand it's very difficult to bleed all of the air out. But that's where I'd start.

Chip

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
If you've taken the supercharger off of your engine to swap your pulley you have introduced air into your cooling system.

Chip, the intercooler of the GT is a closed system residing immediately below the SC. As such, the SC can be easily removed and reinstalled without any effect at all on the SC coolant system.

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Chip, yes we made sure all the air was bled out. I'm using Evans coolant .. maybe I should switch to something else. I'm also running the Whipple 3.3L w/ 17psi and 93 octane and flash tuned for the fans to come on earlier. I know hot jet coating my headers and borla would help the heat soak, but that wouldn't help the engine temps would it?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Chip, yes we made sure all the air was bled out. I'm using Evans coolant .. maybe I should switch to something else. I'm also running the Whipple 3.3L w/ 17psi and 93 octane and flash tuned for the fans to come on earlier. I know hot jet coating my headers and borla would help the heat soak, but that wouldn't help the engine temps would it?

No so you'd notice at all - but, it WOULD help the "under clamshell" temps.

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Driveby

The springs, realy don't help normal street driving !!! They realy help the high RPM's track driving, when the water pump can't pull enough water from the radiator, causing a vaccum, and collapseing the hoses.

Last edited:

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca

Evans coolant will make the temp gauge read hotter, not cooler from the info I have found. But it is not supposed to boil, they indicate you are good to 330deg:eek. You may want to call Evans. I know some folks that like it, and others that are skeptical. Basically they are saying the car will suffer no ill effects in performance, detonation, etc. I have not tried it, but seen others run it. I am in the too skeptical or too worried camp. It's an interesting product.

Below is from their FAQ on gauge readings

What will the COOLANT GAUGE read when using non-aqueous propylene glycol (NPG) coolant?
Answer: The normal operating range of standard coolant (ethylene glycol and water) is 160°F to 230°F with some cooling systems able to function reasonably well up to 240°F; although as this extreme temperature level is reached, the engine will almost always operate with ever less power and response until it boils over and stalls. At approximately 330°F the coolant warning light would normally light up; a cooling system operating with the more modern needle gauge would indicate higher coolant temperatures as they developed. As NPG contains no water, coolant temperatures can rise to higher levels without a negative impact on the performance of the engine. In fact, with NPG in many cases the activation of the coolant warning light represents a false warning as NPG works very well at 330°F. Gauges may show the needle at 330°F, a temperature probably located in the red, but again, no concern is warranted with NPG coolant.

http://www.evanscooling.com/main25.htm

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Even if Evans can run hotter your ECU will dial back the timing at coolant temperatures above around 250F. You will still lose power.

Last edited: