Hose clamp failure

GTViperman

GT Owner
Jun 18, 2009
Northern California
I am curious about owners that have had their hose clamps fail on their cars. Has it been mainly the same clamp that fails? Also, are you just replacing them with a normal hose clamp or something special?

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Yes this happened to me about two years ago. There are a number of posts on it. It was a big deal at the time it happened, but no problems since new clamp and cooling system properly tended to.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Never had an outright failure, but a couple of years ago, I spotted some coolant leakage when I would get home, at high altitude (8,000 ft) where the external ambient pressure was lower. The next time I had the car serviced, they did a complete pressure test and found small leaks at quite a few hose connections. We replaced all the hose clamps with good wide stainless clamps, and we put in the Accufab hose springs that prevent hose collapse (because the water pump is so efficient). Never had a problem since.

Last edited:

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
....a shadowy figure told me about breeze clamps...

http://www.normagroup.com/kunden/norma/ttw.nsf/id/EN_Breeze

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
....a shadowy figure told me about breeze clamps...

http://www.normagroup.com/kunden/norma/ttw.nsf/id/EN_Breeze

Gee. I wonder who that kudda been! :lol

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I am curious about owners that have had their hose clamps fail on their cars. Has it been mainly the same clamp that fails? Also, are you just replacing them with a normal hose clamp or something special?

I don't think the reported hose clamp issues were failures. If I recall the clamps came off because they were never tightened properly from the factory

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I don't think the reported hose clamp issues were failures. If I recall the clamps came off because they were never tightened properly from the factory

100% what has happened to me twice. I have never replaced a clamp

GTViperman

GT Owner
Jun 18, 2009
Northern California
Thanks for the information. Has the main hose clamp problem been the first one coming out of the engine going towards the radiator?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Never had an outright failure, but a couple of years ago, I spotted some coolant leakage when I would get home, at high altitude (8,000 ft) where the external ambient pressure was lower. The next time I had the car serviced, they did a complete pressure test and found small leaks at quite a few hose connections. We replaced all the hose clamps with good wide stainless clamps, and we put in the Accufab hose springs that prevent hose collapse (because the water pump is so efficient). Never had a problem since.

I had leakage from both the right front of the engine and the left front of the radiator.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Never failed but I have this on my glass fire wall (see link below), the culprit is the hose clamp as it's not "clamping" uniformily on the hose connection, Kendall will be replacing the hose clamps tomorrow, and hopefully no potential future failure and no more cleaning the window after every drive :banana

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11233

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
OEM coolant line hose clamp

There are a few other threads on this subject. I had a problem with a small leak but Shadowman has a fix for it. It hasn't leaked since the fix.

Ed