Hoosiers

Black 907

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 9, 2006
I had posted previously that I was going to return the stock Goodyear rubber to my gal after mounting the R6 Hoosiers for the street as other members have. The information I read on their website got me extremely concerned about daily street use...suddenly blow outs death..etc..etc..However, I recently had a long informative session speaking with Jeff Speer from Hoosier Tires who put things in a more realistic perspective. I was wrong..Have now put several hundreds miles on them reporting much stickier and enjoyable.. tighter responses with some very mild tracking at times..Braking also feels improved. I have had the grooves cut in that will help if caught in the rain but the dry is where you would want to stay..

Jeff is a very nice guy that knew his product and our cars...and took the time to answer all my questions.. I would encourange anyone with concerns to call..changed my perspective..

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I had posted previously that I was going to return the stock Goodyear rubber to my gal after mounting the R6 Hoosiers for the street as other members have. The information I read on their website got me extremely concerned about daily street use...suddenly blow outs death..etc..etc..However, I recently had a long informative session speaking with Jeff Speer from Hoosier Tires who put things in a more realistic perspective. I was wrong..Have now put several hundreds miles on them reporting much stickier and enjoyable.. tighter responses with some very mild tracking at times..Braking also feels improved. I have had the grooves cut in that will help if caught in the rain but the dry is where you would want to stay..

Jeff is a very nice guy that knew his product and our cars...and took the time to answer all my questions.. I would encourange anyone with concerns to call..changed my perspective..

Good to hear! When are you bringing Blackie by? I need to get your feed back on something.. B.

Last edited:

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I have these as well and they are awesome.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
They are fantastic tires developed directly in concert with Ford specifically for this car. Not many of those around. As soon as I can get a spare set of BBS (anyone want to ditch theirs???) I'm getting a set.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
The car feels much safer in my opinion on the Hoosiers. Grip, braking, and turn in are all greatly improved. The car does a much better job of doing what you tell it to do.

gtkurt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 25, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
1878 miles on mine so far. Lots of burn outs and hard use they are a much nicer tire to drive on than the Goodyear. I am thinking about putting the Hoosiers on my other set of wheels as a detected set for road course. I just cant stand driving on the Goodyears anymore.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Why size R6's are you guys running? I have the A6's on second set of wheels on my GT3 and Lotus for autox and they are a little wider than other tires so the Hoosier 315's and wider than the Goodyear 315, I would imagine. Did anyone get wider R6's than stock?

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
1878 miles on mine so far. Lots of burn outs and hard use they are a much nicer tire to drive on than the Goodyear. I am thinking about putting the Hoosiers on my other set of wheels as a detected set for road course. I just cant stand driving on the Goodyears anymore.

Wow, 1878 miles on a set of R6!!! That's a lot of miles. And how much more tread is left? My autox Hoosiers usually only last me less than 75 laps, or about 100 miles at the very most. It'd great to know the R6's on the road would last much longer than A6's on autox. If the R6's can last 3000 miles on the road w/ a track day in there once in a while, I'd definitely go for a set of these.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Wow, 1878 miles on a set of R6!!! That's a lot of miles. And how much more tread is left? My autox Hoosiers usually only last me less than 75 laps, or about 100 miles at the very most. It'd great to know the R6's on the road would last much longer than A6's on autox. If the R6's can last 3000 miles on the road w/ a track day in there once in a while, I'd definitely go for a set of these.

We're running P245/40ZR18 & P315/40ZR19. There have been several guys with a few thousand miles and a couple track days mixed in.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I was able to get close to 4000 miles on my front Hoosiers & 3000 miles on the rear set. Almost the same for the OEM Goodyears. Now that I have my CC Wheels with slicks I put my OEM Goodyears back on the stock rims. I hate it. It's like driving on ice! The only drawback to the Hoosiers is that my fronts leaked 1 lb every 36 hrs. The rears are fine. I spoke to Jeff at Hoosier & he says it's common for high performance tires. It's from the bead seal. My Goodyear slicks leak 1 lb per 72 hrs so he must be right. He's a good resource like Black 907 wrote. I also drove over 1000 miles round trip to the GT Rally & didn't have any problems with the Hoosiers other than people complaining I was cheating at the Saleen AutoX!

Ed

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
The only drawback to the Hoosiers is that my fronts leaked 1 lb every 36 hrs. The rears are fine. Ed

I have found this to be true as well, and my rears drop pressure too (very slowly). I check the pressures before going out, but just in case, I am going to install this low-tech solution to be sure I don't miss low pressures. Anyone have any experience with these. I've had a set on my truck for about a year and they seem to work great.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=46621&search.x=21&search.y=10

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Don't use these caps, the leak! I tried several sets, all leaked. Sorry.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I ordered mine last week. Cant wait to get them.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I got a set of Hoosiers for the track. It was warm enough last week to finally try them at the track. Heat cycled them for the 1st session. What a difference once they came up to temp. The Goodyears make the car feel like its a snowplow on ice compared to the Hoosiers.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Hoosier is a 1st class company. I have worked with them for 8 years in racing and testing their products.
Jeff Speer's is a straight up guy . It illustrates what a pleasure it is to deal with a small American company .
Going from street tires to R compound tires is like ,well becoming a tire junkie !
As Ed states wait till you try slicks!!

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Just tried these at an Audi Club event at VIR weekend before Thanksgiving. Very confidence inspiring. The only thing that I noticed was on the second day I had some vibration in my steering wheel during fast high speed turns (>90 mph going up the climbing S's)...I wasn't sure of the reason at first but I believe it was because my tires had picked up some rubber, rocks, etc...Have any of you experienced this at the track with the Hoosiers?

I have an extra set of wheels and trailered my car for the first time as well, changing out the set of stock Goodyears. Thanks to Ed and his pics of the central jack point, easy change out!:thumbsup

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Don't use these caps, the leak! I tried several sets, all leaked. Sorry.

I have a had a set on my Van for a year and they haven't leaked yet. Where did you get yours, although I think the same company makes them all.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
autosport. bought three sets, they all leaked.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
JEFF.
I would like to know more about this system as well.