Highway Driving Rant

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Okay, this may seem minor…..but every year it gets worse. I am talking about people driving in the passing lane at or below the speed limit when the right lane is wide open. Now correct me if I me wrong, but when I learned how to drive the left lane was designated for passing not meandering. I have no problem with people driving the speed limit. (okay, maybe a little problem :wink) However these people who drive in the left lane like they are defenders of the minimum highway speed making car after car pass them in the right lane drives me absolutely :willy.

And while they are at it, check the rear view mirror from time to time. I came up on this guy today doing 60 in the fast lane (speed limit was 70) with the right lane wide open and no one in sight. I came up behind him and decided that instead of passing in the right lane like I usually do I would perform an experiment on the limits of idiocy and wait until he noticed me in his rear view mirror and moved over. After about five minutes the guy finally glances in his rear view mirror and is so startled by the vision of a vehicle behind him that he slams on the brakes. :thumbsdow So I sucked it up and ended testing the principles of idiocy and passed him in the right lane.

Now, I may be in the minority but getting a license to drive is too easy and keeping it should require more than paying a renewal fee every five years. Sorry for the rant but there were more morons :ack than usual on the drive back from Vegas today. At least the my stay was great....

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
On my way to work this morning I came up behind a similar idiot, but when I finally passed her on the right, she had a notebook open in her lap and was texting on her phone!

Here in Texas, it's illegal to drive in the left lane. It's for passing only. There are even signs posted on the interstates that state "Left lane for passing only".

I guess not being able to read and not being able to drive go hand in hand.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for going too slow in the passing lane. What pisses me off even more, is the guy pulling onto a multi-lane road with plenty of space, immediately crossing all the way to the leftmost lane and then proceeds to go about 60 MPH in a 65 zone! :mad

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The only bigger PITB is the guy following behind someone in the right lane who sees YOU closing and about to pass in the LEFT lane - AND PULLS OUT INTO THE LEFT LANE CUTTING YOU OFF and then just SITS there for miles "pacing" the guy he was just following!!! :bang:bang:bang

It should be obliglatory to SHOOT these people on sight. In fact, there ought to be a $1,000 BOUNTY on these jackasses. :mad

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The only bigger PITB is the guy following behind someone in the right lane who sees YOU closing and about to pass in the LEFT lane - AND PULLS OUT INTO THE LEFT LANE CUTTING YOU OFF and then just SITS there for miles "pacing" the guy he was just following!!! :bang:bang:bang

It should be obliglatory to SHOOT these people on sight. In fact, there ought to be a $1,000 BOUNTY on these jackasses. :mad

Yes, that tops my post!

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho

Now that's what I'm talkin about!! :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think we should rename this post Highway Road Rage. Calm down, boys, and be like Spirit, enjoy the ride.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I like to get in front of those people doing 5-10 under and do 10-15 under in front of them..... causing them to pass me on the left.... then when their passing me, my finger is usually up my nose with a really stupid look on my face...... :cheers

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
What really amazes me is being in an ambulance running with lights and sirens and the person in front of us doesn’t notice. It blows my mind and it happens on alomost every call I go out on. Every light we have is on, we’re changing cadences between sirens and people don’t get out of the way. I can almost understand not seeing a GT in your rear mirror because we’re so low, but a 23,000 lb ambulance?

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I like to get in front of those people doing 5-10 under and do 10-15 under in front of them..... causing them to pass me on the left.... then when their passing me, my finger is usually up my nose with a really stupid look on my face...... :cheers

:rofl:rofl:rofl Too funny now I wish I had FEDEX'd that special ed helmet to you!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
this guy must get around cause Ive been behind him too.:biggrin to me life is too short to worry about the guy who made you pass him on the right, I usually just pass on the right or the left sometimes both at the same time :lol and give it a good rev that usually gets their attention. then i go about my way never giving a moments thought to that moran, until I get to the next moran.:lol

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
At times I wish a little love tap would be legal.:cheers We have the "we own the road" mentality.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
At times I wish a little love tap would be legal.:cheers We have the "we own the road" mentality.

"Double tap" would be more effective and would pbly have more backers. Oh...sorry...'forgot myself there for a sec.:bored

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I will say..... that if I am in my big truck.... it sometimes, through osmosis, causes me to become a little arrogant and drive exactly where I want..... always five over and if some one is gaining at a moderate pace, I get over... but if they're gaining at a ridiculous pace (a$$hole pace) I stay right where I am...... ok... I admitted it... but I'm not that guy.... swear...:wink

STUNTS

Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
:rofl:rofl:rofl Too funny now I wish I had FEDEX'd that special ed helmet to you!
is it on its way?

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I will say..... that if I am in my big truck.... it sometimes, through osmosis, causes me to become a little arrogant and drive exactly where I want..... always five over and if some one is gaining at a moderate pace, I get over... but if they're gaining at a ridiculous pace (a$$hole pace) I stay right where I am...... ok... I admitted it... but I'm not that guy.... swear...:wink

Guys in a Hyundai who come up behind you at ludicrous speed deserve to be blocked.....then double tapped EP style. You are not that guy you are that guy. :thumbsup

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for going too slow in the passing lane. What pisses me off even more, is the guy pulling onto a multi-lane road with plenty of space, immediately crossing all the way to the leftmost lane and then proceeds to go about 60 MPH in a 65 zone! :mad

The lack of enforcement is a major part of the problem (together with poor driver education). The laws in most, if not all, states designate the left lane for passing only and require vehicles entering a roadway/intersection to use the CLOSEST lane, after which proper lane changes can be made. Just think how smoothly traffic would flow at intersections if turning vehicles all used the proper lane. Multiple cars could safety enter the intersection at the same time since all the drivers would be on the same page.