HI! New Member, New Car. Bringing Garage Queen Back to Life.

rvflyboy

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I've been lurking for a year but finally bought a 2005 red 3 option car (no wheels). It has been a garage queen (518 miles), but it won't be for long!:banana

Thanks for answering a few questions:
1) I'm taking the car this week to our local Ford dealer with some GT experience. Plan is to drain and replace all fluids, and some hoses. Does anybody have any experience with bringing one of these cars back to life that has been sitting for 6 years? What should we be looking for/replacing? Will probably need tires--definately before this car sees the track. What needs addressed?
2) I visited Heffner's shop last week and decided to take the car to him for a blower upgrade/headers/exhaust/etc. Decided to not get the TT because we will be tracking this car regularly--SC likely a better choice for this.
3) Where can I find a set of option wheels?

Thanks!
j

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Congrats and welcome. I would suggest you make sure that the axle bolts have been changed.

AJK

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Have Heffner due item # 1 - fluids, hoses etc... He will likely be more familiar with these cars than just about any Ford dealer.
Also, Axle bolts a must if not done.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Welcome and congrats.

You shall receive plenty of advice here from very qualified folks about how to put your GT back to op status, so I'll pass on that.... but I'm intrigued.. how does a 518 mile car lose its wheels?

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Congratulations. There are several qualified people to discuss refreshing your car. I know Kendall at Cooltech is scheduled to do that very thing to a friends 66 Mustang that has been sitting for 20+ years. :eek
Looking forward to hearing all the cool things you are doing!:thumbsup

H

HHGT

Oil Pump Belt should be your major concern followed by normal fluid changes and a fresh battery. Check all TSB as well including the half shaft bolts. Welcome and congrats.

rvflyboy

GT Owner
Jun 26, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Welcome and congrats.

You shall receive plenty of advice here from very qualified folks about how to put your GT back to op status, so I'll pass on that.... but I'm intrigued.. how does a 518 mile car lose its wheels?

The wheels aren't lost. It has factory wheels... not "option" wheels.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO

:wink Hard to keep track of all those options.:skep

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
:wink Hard to keep track of all those options.:skep

Get an Oasis report from the Ford dealer when you take it there. That will tell you what changes have been done.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Sam,
Can the oil pump belt be stretched if it only has 518 miles?

rdjmp

GT Owner
Feb 6, 2011
DFW Texas
Have Heffner do item # 1 - fluids, hoses etc...
Also, Axle bolts a must if not done.

+1. Heffner will do at least as well as any dealership and way better than most plus they're going to be in your engine anyway.
Congratulations also!

H

HHGT

Someone reported that they dry up. Its probably a cheap insurance policy.

TCT

Apr 24, 2006
Have the Heffner crew do it all.

They have built / modified / rebuilt these cars from the ground up, sideways, up and down.

Your local dealer may have limited experience with these cars. Good luck and Congrats.

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
:

Welcome to one of the greatest Forums on the web.........and please note that most here are happy people..........so, finding your lost wheels was just a funny observation...:lol....you'll get the spirit sooner than later.........Congrats on your purchase

Gino

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.

Jcohen

Jun 5, 2011
Heffner for service

Just had my 2006 yellow gt at Heffner for oil change , exhausts , pulley , powder coating of wheels, They under stand the car and get you in and out quickly.