Help! Shuddering And Vibration When Starting In First Gear!

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Hi Stefan,

Its funny - I have had a Hemi Cuda, Z28's, 427 Vette, and some other hot rod cars - and I have never worn out a clutch. Of course I didn't keep those cars for a very long time, like I intend to do with the red rocketsled.

However, for future reference, what clutch do you recommend as a replacement?

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Red Rocket said:
However, for future reference, what clutch do you recommend as a replacement?
Red Rocket,

I have a custom SPEC clutch for the hi torque GT's, same as Piko in his famous TT, got it from HP Performance for reasonable money... Check with Tony from HP, here on the forum as Quickstang.. I think Torrie has the same aswell by now....
Very driveable, Reverse supersmooth, first - off the stop - still breaking it in and getting better by the day, but there is a slight shudder if you leave slowly (not if you nail it). |The kit is super durable though, copper on ceramic, no worries..

My Ferrari guys here that installed it said it's very similar to what they have in the Challenge trophy cars that do the class racing (not streetlegal), and are quite impressed...

I think they call it SPEC 3 plus, but check with Tony from HP to be sure...

cheers

Stefan

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
The GT's high gearing is definitely a potential issue if you don't drive it properly. I'm sure all owners eventually get it figured out, but the learning curve is the killer because it's happening when the car is also brand new, so the clutch's "break-in period" can happen under less-than-ideal conditions. I know that when I've let other people drive my car I make two points very clear:

1. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN 1ST, NOT 3RD

2. EVEN IN FIRST, THE CAR NEEDS PLENTY OF REVS AND RAPID CLUTCH RELASE VERSUS ENDLESS SLIPPAGE

Both items seem obvious, but I can see how getting proficient on these points can take time (and, potentially, damage the clutch in the process). I know it took me a few miles to learn the GT's preferred launch system...thankfully that learning curve happened on press cars. :wink

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Thanks Stefan!