help needed - vibration / rattle in dash

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
My '06 now has about 17,800 miles on it and just recently picked up an annoyingly loud vibration / harmonic rattling noise that sounds like it's comming from the dash area, perhaps behind the speedometer. It only happens under medium to heavy throttle and starts at about 2,000 rpm. It varies directly with throttle and load placed on the engine and gets quite loud.

Has anyone had a similar problem?
How hard is it to remove the dash to have a look inside there??

Any advice on similar rattles or dash removal is greatly appreciated.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Similar rattle on my 2006 was caused by the hard plastic trim piece at the bottom of the windshield (small channel section that 'finishes off' the bottom edge of glass). came loose. fixed with a few dabs of clear silicone caulk and pressed back on..
AJB

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have a similar rattle on my 05 since new. At Rally I, John Pfeifer (sp?) went for a ride with me and we could not locate it. Over time, I isolated it to to the area over the tach. The bottom of the top of the dash vibrates against the gauge faceplate. I bought some black felt, rolled it into a tight jellyroll, and wedged it between the top of the tach and the bottom of the top of the dash. Cured. At the Rally coming up, we will replace my fuel gauge and I hope to find a better fix then. I'll keep you posted. Removing the gauge faceplate is not an easy job, and I'm hoping the GTGuys can get rid of the rattle permanently. I isolated the rattle by pushing up with my thumbs on the bottom of the top of the dash.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
fjpikul; I isolated the rattle by pushing up with my thumbs on the bottom of the top of the dash.[/QUOTE said:
With two hands on the wheel Frank?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Three of my GT's had the same problem. It was a very easy fix. Turned out that the steel clips that hold the lower portion of the dashboard (above the footwell) come loose. I found that the dash fasteners had slipped out of their steel clips that mount to the steel bulkhead. Check that out first before going to any large-scale diagnosis. (As a side-note, I also have experienced the same problem with the windshield trim piece, but no noise there.)

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I have a similar rattle on my 05 since new. At Rally I, John Pfeifer (sp?) went for a ride with me and we could not locate it. Over time, I isolated it to to the area over the tach. The bottom of the top of the dash vibrates against the gauge faceplate. I bought some black felt, rolled it into a tight jellyroll, and wedged it between the top of the tach and the bottom of the top of the dash. Cured. At the Rally coming up, we will replace my fuel gauge and I hope to find a better fix then. I'll keep you posted. Removing the gauge faceplate is not an easy job, and I'm hoping the GTGuys can get rid of the rattle permanently. I isolated the rattle by pushing up with my thumbs on the bottom of the top of the dash.

I had the same issue and discovery by pressing the dash with my finger. Then again, the buzz I had was only on one, inordinately long, stretch of road. I was going to try to put a felt wedge in as the good doc has suggested, but after traversing that one section of road, the problem disappeared and I forgot about it until the return journey on that same road. I'm really lazy, so I'm just avoiding that road now. :thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
There is also an TSB on an underdash rattle. It is : TSB 04-25-3 .
The TSB's were on an old " Center Punch" Post. There is a PDF file somewhere on this site !! :biggrin

Last edited:

zrchris

GT Owner
Aug 12, 2009
Brentwood TN
I also have a low level rattle all the time, around the gauges or column. I can't figure it out. I can't understand what the TSB is talking about, I look up in my dash and it looks about like the sketch and already has a zip tie about where they show it. I don't understand what they mean by "re-route" or how that is causing a rattle. Car was built 10/29/04, Oasis report has no record of the TSB being performed.