Help needed: CAT Removal

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Michigan, Upper Peninsula
I recently purchased a set of Ford Racing cat-delete pipes. Removed the muffler, belly pans and airbox; no probems. Removed the driver side catalytic converter; no problems-- disconnected the two cat-to-manifold bolts, removed the two oxygen sensors and lifted the cat pipe up and out of the engine bay. I am running into clearance problems with the transaxle shifter pivot ( the metal plate on top of the trans that the shifter cables attach to) on the passenger side cat. Help from anyone who has performed this surgery would be appreciated. :ack

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
This is timely, as I purchased mine about two months ago and have not gotten around to installing them yet. Just looking at the car I wondered if things were going to be tight, and it sounds like they are. You will probably resolve it before I get around to doing mine, so PLEASE keep us posted. If I figure something out I will let you know....

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
No issues with mine. Seemed to clear fine. You may need to loosed the clamps ensure clearance and then tighten everything back up. Did you keep the stock muffler?

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
No issues with mine. Seemed to clear fine. You may need to loosed the clamps ensure clearance and then tighten everything back up. Did you keep the stock muffler?

When you took out the passenger side cat pipe, did you swing it up and out of the engine bay or pull it out the bottom? I called John from Accufab today and he stated that I will need to disconnect the passenger side halfshaft in order to gain sufficient clearance to take out the passenger side cat pipe.

What clamps are you referring to that you loosened?

I am using the Ida exhaust now.

team c

Nov 24, 2006
pass. side cat removal

well larry, when we were building the cars, we put the half shafts in way before the cats you shouldn't need to remove..just so happen's i did the pass. side of the car...from start to finish..you must pull back then up on the back of the cat....to get the cat out.. team c was just to marquette mnt. skiing 3 wk. ago...might come back phil..

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
well larry, when we were building the cars, we put the half shafts in way before the cats you shouldn't need to remove..just so happen's i did the pass. side of the car...from start to finish..you must pull back then up on the back of the cat....to get the cat out.. team c was just to marquette mnt. skiing 3 wk. ago...might come back phil..

Hi Phil, I'm over in Houghton. Let me know the next time you are up this way for skiing! I did try to pull the cat back and then up, but couldn't seem to get it around the metal plate that sticks out from the top of the transaxle that the shifter cables attach to. I'll try it again tonight.

team c

Nov 24, 2006
pass.cat

very good larry, well i'm trying to picture in my head the plate i built in the ball park of 600 cars before the buyouts came and i bailed...i know the plate your talking about...i hooked up many a shifter cable to..and that to was before the cats went in...it was a struggle to get it in even at the factory..to let you know...phil

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
When you took out the passenger side cat pipe, did you swing it up and out of the engine bay or pull it out the bottom? I called John from Accufab today and he stated that I will need to disconnect the passenger side halfshaft in order to gain sufficient clearance to take out the passenger side cat pipe.

What clamps are you referring to that you loosened?

I am using the Ida exhaust now.

Did not have to do that at all. BUT disconnect battery so it doesn't short out when removing passenger side cat.

Dave

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Disconnecting the battery is a must b/c the cat is very close to the starter. Otherwise, I believe we removed it out the back. It was tight, but it should clear with some work.

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
Hey Dave and lthlvpr,

Thanks for the cautions about the battery, already have that covered.

It sounds like there are no other parts I need to disconnect, beyond those I listed above in my first post? Back to the garage it is. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
To those with these in place - did you turn off the rear O2 sensors via the tune, or use MIL eliminators....?

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
To those with these in place - did you turn off the rear O2 sensors via the tune, or use MIL eliminators....?

turn them off via tune.

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006

Ditto. Had them turned off when I got my SCT tune for the 2.7 pulley; knowing that I was likely to scuttle the cats in the future.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Now for the big question - what does the car sound like without the cats? I have a typical X or H cat-back pipe (the Kinetic pipe) which probably sounds very close to most others out there, and I can't wait to hear the car without the cats. The FRPP pipes have some baffling in place of the cats, but does it get louder without the cats? Any info is appreciated. How about increased flow/HP?

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Now for the big question - what does the car sound like without the cats? I have a typical X or H cat-back pipe (the Kinetic pipe) which probably sounds very close to most others out there, and I can't wait to hear the car without the cats. The FRPP pipes have some baffling in place of the cats, but does it get louder without the cats? Any info is appreciated. How about increased flow/HP?

Very loud, not for everyone.

Dave

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Very loud, not for everyone.

Dave

But for some !:biggrin

wouldn't want to go back....awesome !

PRDATR

GT Owner
Jan 9, 2006
This is timely, as I purchased mine about two months ago and have not gotten around to installing them yet. Just looking at the car I wondered if things were going to be tight, and it sounds like they are. You will probably resolve it before I get around to doing mine, so PLEASE keep us posted. If I figure something out I will let you know....

Busy week, finally getting around to reporting on this past Sunday's project. Thanks to several helpful souls on this forum the passenger side cat pipe has been successfully extracted.:thumbsup From the suggestions I had received, it was apparent that people have used several different approaches. I decided to expand my fledgling mechanical skills, thinking now was a good a time as any to learn to take off the decklid (with a modicum of trepidation to be sure).

I began by covering the lower decklid edges and the adjacent area with green tape and some strategically placed towels in order to protect the paint. My wife and a friend then held each side of the decklid while I disconnected the struts, the wiring harness, and knocked out the hinge pins. They then lowered thr decklid slightly and it came free of its moorings. The decklid is much lighter than I imagined it to be. The entire procedure, sans protective tape application, took only a few minutes. Thanks to Phil (team c) for his encouragement and suggestions.

With the decklid removed, the stock passenger side cat pipe was readily extracted (with judicious turning of the movable flange on the manifold end of the cat pipe, as the movable flange was manuvered past the narrow opening next to the starter). Savored moment for the novice diy'er!!! Next phase, assembly and listening.:cheers

Attachments

• small file 2.jpg
    small file 2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 110