Help - battery dead?

ShankGT

GT Owner
Apr 19, 2006
I had not used the car in the last 2 weeks, and now the key fob wont work- maybe the battery is dead? how else can you open the drivers door. I noticed the keyhole, but when i turn left and right...nothing happens. Anyone know?

Thanks

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I would suggest opening the front bonnet and using a charger to charge up the battery.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
ShankGT,

I don't know how long you've had your car but if you don't drive it regularly you'll need to connect it to a trickle charger. I have a European car and it came with one and I believe all of the American cars did as well. Failure to do so will lead to a dead battery and/or intermittent problems with the gauges after start-up. There are some related threads on the Forum which explain this issues in depth. I'd suggest doing a search to learn more about what has been written in the past.

Rob

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
ShankGT,

This may be unrelated to your problem, however it will probably help some newer members:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6459#post6459

I am not sure what to say about your problem. If I get time tonight, I will try and research this problem for you.

Good Luck,
Jay
www.gtsaver.com

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Further headaches

nota4re said:
I would suggest opening the front bonnet and using a charger to charge up the battery.
Ditto..... and while you're at it, buy a Battery Tender and hook up the quick disconnect lead to the battery. It makes it real simple to connect and disconnect the Battery Tender whenever you want to and saves you further headaches. Plus, instead of unbolting the battery clamp bolts, just use nylon ties to hold the positive and negative leads against the battery posts. I did and it works excellent! :wink Michael

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Gierkink said:
ShankGT,

I don't know how long you've had your car but if you don't drive it regularly you'll need to connect it to a trickle charger. I have a European car and it came with one and I believe all of the American cars did as well. Failure to do so will lead to a dead battery and/or intermittent problems with the gauges after start-up. There are some related threads on the Forum which explain this issues in depth. I'd suggest doing a search to learn more about what has been written in the past.

Rob

Not all American delivered cars came with a trickle charger. Early 05's did not. They started shipping with the trickle charger in approximately mid year.

Dave