helmet advice

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
And as I live in Miami and need to be fashion conscious, I got it in silver to match the gt.

Thanks again to all --

Manny

Hmmmm, are you sure you aren't trying to match the new Exige?! :wink :lol :lol

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
I got the shoes to go with that one.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Can you line it with those little, mini taco shells? Probably kind of crunchy.

somelee

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 9, 2007
New York & SoCal
hey everyone........I'm in the market for a helmet as well. I want to go to a place where I can try several on to see what I like and see how the fit is. I'm going to be out in L.A. in a week or so and would like to do it while I'm there.....do any of you Californians know where I can go in the southern california area to check out a wide variety of helmets? I could order one online but then I can't really check it out.....
thanks alot
Lee

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
hey everyone........I'm in the market for a helmet as well. I want to go to a place where I can try several on to see what I like and see how the fit is. I'm going to be out in L.A. in a week or so and would like to do it while I'm there.....do any of you Californians know where I can go in the southern california area to check out a wide variety of helmets? I could order one online but then I can't really check it out.....
thanks alot
Lee

Simpsons has a super store in Harbor City in southern LA. They won't have competitors helmets, but they have everything Simpson.

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/company/torrance.aspx

Craig

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I found that the thickness of the helmets can vary a lot. An Arai gave me the most headroom, a Bell was no way.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Funny how heads are different, I have a Bell, and am on my 4th. Tried EVERY simpson, none fit my mellon.

One other thing I had not seen anyone chime in on. I would strongly recommend a belaclava (head sock), because you can wash it. The helmet will last a lot longer, with an extra layer of sweat absorbtion.

Dec 7, 2007
I think in both cases, you guys should contact www.winecountrymotorsports.com they are in jupiter florida and stock all the helmets from bell, hjc, and sparco. give them a call or stop by, the store is really cool with tons of product and memrobilia. good people too...

oh and here is my rule of thumb on helmets: if you got a ten cent head; get a ten cent helmet...

t32b

Verde
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 21, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Many good points here but I have to reiterate, having purchased quite a few helmets (motorcycle) that different brands model different head shapes. I'm an Arai guy. Tried many others but they just don't work for me.
So in addition to all the good advice here, try on a swath of brands, focus on the fit, and if they don't have the model you want for that brand, have 'em order it. The fit will be the same, and you'll have a safe and happy, um, head.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Looking for one before the rally. Any new updated suggestions???

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Make sure it fits well and spend the extra money for a carbon fiber model. Helmets protect your most important asset, CF is lighter, stronger and looks so cool :)

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Make sure it fits well and spend the extra money for a carbon fiber model. Helmets protect your most important asset, CF is lighter, stronger and looks so cool :)

Have to go try on a few, Gary. No other way around it. The fit between brands is vastly different, depending on the size and shape of your head.

While carbon fiber is great material (strength/weight), it's also very expensive. If you have a few thousand $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, go for it. Not to say you should skimp on protective equipment, but if you're only a very occasional track day driver, you can get something that will provide equivalent protection at a fraction of the cost.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I got an Arai. I tried a couple of others but I gained an inch since the inside of the Arai add less height to the top when wearing it. I also got open face. I wear glasses and getting a helmet on even through the visor is hard because of the snug fit. I used it last year at the driving class and it was comfortable the whole time. If I ever do the Formula Mazdas again at Bondurant I'll just use one of their helmets.

I dry fit it in the GT and it ought to be OK. The Simpson required me to recline the back of the seat too far and thus the seat was too far forward - an unworkable situation. The Arai lets me keep it mostly in a normal configuration.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
There are many varieties available, so it's important to find one with which you feel most comfortable. Thus, you must try them on, as each person's head is different. Then, shop on-line for the best deal - try Summit Racing, Jegs, etc. Make sure that it is a Snell approved for automobiles, as most motorcycle helmets won't meet the requirements of race tracks for cars - there are standards also for motorcycle helmets.

You can look up the certs for any helmet at

http://www.smf.org/cert

Helmets are usually certified for 10 years of usage - so currently the Snell SA2005 and SA2010 standards apply. Most of us with SA2005 Helmets will have to replace them next year, to meet the new SA2015 standard (http://www.smf.org/standards/sa/2015/SA2015Final3252014.php). If you can wait another year, or find one with a SA2015 Certification, you'll be ahead of the game!

I'm partial to the Bell X-15 full face helmet, and just saw that it's on sale at Jeg's for about $33. (http://www.jegs.com/i/Bell-Helmets/145/1120/10002/-1)

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Thanks for all the info. Probably not use it except at the rally's so want something effective but don't need anything fancy. There is a summit racing store near me will look there and try some on

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is the date of production. Every helmet has the date of production stamped on the strap or inside somewhere. This is important because helmets are only good for 5 years and then should be replaced (per mfg recommendations). Often, a helmet bought off the shelf is already 1-3 years old!

I also can't emphasize enough that you should try on a wide variety of helmets. The shells can be quite different: I can't wear a Shoei (for rounder heads, too short front to back) but an Arai (more oval) fits me perfectly.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA

Since you are local, I would highly recommend you talk to Ron at Discovery Parts. They used to have a location on the south side of ATL, but they may have moved everything to the showroom at Atlanta Motorsports Park in Dawsonville. Ron would be happy to let you try on anything in the showroom.

If you are just looking for something for the Rally, you are welcome to borrow mine.

Hard to go wrong with Aria if you dont mind shelling out the dough.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I can't wear a Shoei

Another reminder to check if the helmet is for automotive or motorcycle use. I don't believe Shoei makes automotive racing helmets. I could be mistaken.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Your neck muscles will appreciate, the day after, the lightest possible helmet.... In addition to the added safety benefits.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Thanks for all the info. Probably not use it except at the rally's so want something effective but don't need anything fancy. There is a summit racing store near me will look there and try some on

You don't want to use the helmets the track provides? I haven't gotten any cooties yet.