Height

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
The suspension height on my 2007 GT500 is too high, probably two inches in the rear not as bad in the front. It also has wicked wheel hop off of the line. What fixes have the members of this forum found? I know there have been numerous threads on this but I haven't been participating in this forum, only the GT one. Thanks!

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Lots of discussion about this topic on the SVT and TEAM SHELBY forums.

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
I am going with the FRPP springs to solve the height issue. Going to replace one part at a time to solve the wheel hop starting with lower arms. Some have claimed that is all that was necessary to cure the problem, some get more in depth and replace everything. To each his own.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I have gone the Steeda route with their lowering springs and swaybars. I have not had any wheel hop. Note, I also added 20 inch American Racing Shelby wheels with Nitto tires.

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
Installed FRPP springs this weekend. Can't believe how much better the car looks. Especially from the back where it will no longer be mistaken for a 4 wheel drive car. FRPP claims 1.2" lower and I would agree with others in that the rear went down a bit more than that. Somewhere between 1.375 and 1.5 if my measuring is correct.Perfect in my opinion though. Just what I was looking for.

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
height

I had the FRPP springs installed by McCoy Ford here yesterday. The height now looks as it should. One problem, though. They could not get the car on their Hunter alignment rack to check the steering geometry. As soon as the snow goes away (again) I'll get the car to my old shop to check this.

KJRGT and 08GT500 did you guys check the alignment after changing the height? If so what did you find?

-Gary

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
Here are some pics of ride height now.

Plan to have the alignment checked when I get the clicking noise sorted out. I have heard others say no adjustment necessary. Did the dealer change the strut mounts when they installed your springs?

Attachments

• shelby 016.jpg
    shelby 016.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
08GT500, I had the dealer install the suspension and wheels prior to picking up the car...I do know they did the alignment afterwards, but don't know what the change was or about your strut question. Sorry.

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
FYI, I solved the problem with the front end noise. Loose sway bar link. The front tires do lean in at the top now and I have been told there is no camber adjustment on the new Mustangs. I have ordered camber bolts to correct the problem. One bolt allows 2 degrees and you can achieve 4 if you use two bolts per side.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
T&A Shocks has been building and selling a Mustang racing Shock package for years.
Actually our customers have won the SCCA runoff championship 5 times.
Twice with Mustangs, once in Touring-2, and once in American Sedan.

And we are working on a performance street / track day setup.

It is not quite ready to sell yet, but we are working as fast as we can.

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
Alignment

I finally took my Shelby in to check the alignment after installing the FRPP springs. I though that the car was handling differently-and it was for a reason. The LF camber was 1 degree 42' and the RF was 1 degree 08'. The toe was the big problem. The LF had toe out of .20 degrees and the RF had toe out of .11 degrees. The caster was within spec.The camber can not be corrected without a camber compensator of some type. Setting the toe to the proper specification returned the handling to normal. I might at some point look into setting the camber but it is not that far out of spec.

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
I finally took my Shelby in to check the alignment after installing the FRPP springs. I though that the car was handling differently-and it was for a reason. The LF camber was 1 degree 42' and the RF was 1 degree 08'. The toe was the big problem. The LF had toe out of .20 degrees and the RF had toe out of .11 degrees. The caster was within spec.The camber can not be corrected without a camber compensator of some type. Setting the toe to the proper specification returned the handling to normal. I might at some point look into setting the camber but it is not that far out of spec.

The most cost effective way is to order camber bolts from BMR. $40 pr. You can also go with adjustable camber plates at about $300 set. As you found out there is no provision for camber adjustment in the new Mustang.