Heat Issues

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Has anybody looked at changing the front of the car to allow more air to exit? Similar to the old GT40s? I am definitely going to fabricate some type of front lip to create a low pressure area back there but I might attempt to rebuild the front bonnet if it is feasible.

Anybody have a broken or used front bonnet?

Attachments

• Ford_GT40_(front).jpg
    Ford_GT40_(front).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 363
  • Ford_GT40_Mk_IV.jpg
    Ford_GT40_Mk_IV.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 325

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Yes.

Has anybody looked at changing the front of the car to allow more air to exit? Similar to the old GT40s? I am definitely going to fabricate some type of front lip to create a low pressure area back there but I might attempt to rebuild the front bonnet if it is feasible.

Anybody have a broken or used front bonnet?

Yes. The New Zealand FGT race car has a full width hood radiator extracter like that.

Chip

Attachments

• NZGT.jpg
    NZGT.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Looks like they are pulling air in thru the foglight bay as well.

Thanks for the info.

H

HHGT

I saw a bonnet on ebay last night for $2500

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Heating Issues

Fubar, you might want to look into a less expensive alternative which is the Bob Ida solution of installing something like in your pictures, but removable. I think Rocketman, and BaronDW have installed it on their cars and it seems to be working. I will have it installed in the next couple of weeks, including the brake ducs, which seem to work fine for those guys....

Good Luck

Gino

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Fubar, the supplier of the second version of the gt hood till the end of production is working on one as we speak. Can call him....pm if you want the number, he has all the dimensions, looks cool, remember ford had there reasons why the hood looks the way it does. A/C and all has a big part with the extractor.....gtjoey1314:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A/C and all has a big part with the extractor.....gtjoey1314:thumbsup

I guess the hot air from the radiators will get sucked into the ventilation intake.

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Looks like they are pulling air in thru the foglight bay as well.

Thanks for the info.

Fog light ducting was for brake cooling on std front
we now have a matech front on her, the brake ducting is in the main opening
I have attached some pic's of our front hood and wicker
Neil

Attachments

• 12 hr after 009.jpg
    12 hr after 009.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 368
  • GT3 wing 005.jpg
    GT3 wing 005.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 365
  • FORD GT- R 002.jpg
    FORD GT- R 002.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 363

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Hyundai plastered on a FORD GT.....

Now there's a sight to behold!

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Hyundai plastered on a FORD GT.....

Now there's a sight to behold!

It pays the Bills :thumbsup
Neil

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Hows the baby my friend...long time no speak...enjoy gtjoey1314:thumbsup

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Hows the baby my friend...long time no speak...enjoy gtjoey1314:thumbsup

Gidday mate
Jesse is now 2 1/2 and doing great, number 2 is due july 23,
how are you and your family,hope all is well
:cheers
Neil

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Roketman has at least 2 additions, one is the elimination of the screens that are just aft of the fans, and he also chose to have the intercooler radiator cut down (literally removing fins and rows of coolent area, and patching up the end tanks) to allow more cooler air through the coolant radiator. The GT Guys did this mod last winter, if I recall correctly.

Fubar, you might want to look into a less expensive alternative which is the Bob Ida solution of installing something like in your pictures, but removable. I think Rocketman, and BaronDW have installed it on their cars and it seems to be working. I will have it installed in the next couple of weeks, including the brake ducs, which seem to work fine for those guys....

Good Luck

Gino

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
what about placing channels around the radiator to improve flow. seems like there is a lot of turbulence due to the lack of laminar flow around the core.

I looked at the lotus elise design with the horizontal radiators and marveled at how efficient the system looked. other bright spot was when LEO's aimed the laser there ... there was nothing to hit.:bored

not enough room to do that in a GT but the flow issue likely would improve efficiency more than enough to get a substantial gain.

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Roketman has at least 2 additions, one is the elimination of the screens that are just aft of the fans, and he also chose to have the intercooler radiator cut down (literally removing fins and rows of coolent area, and patching up the end tanks) to allow more cooler air through the coolant radiator. The GT Guys did this mod last winter, if I recall correctly.

I believe Ron has Bob Ida's wicker and it's removable too.
Bob has made several R&D wickers to find an ideal height and offers several other heat reduction things.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I believe Ron has Bob Ida's wicker and it's removable too.
Bob has made several R&D wickers to find an ideal height and offers several other heat reduction things.

Is there a way to get ahold of one of these "wickers?"

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Is there a way to get ahold of one of these "wickers?"

Just call Bob

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX