Heat Gun & Vinyl Side Stripes.... Help!

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
OK guys, I am going to remove my vinyl side stripes. Primarily because they are a bit ragged behind the front wheel, and the driver door rubs it big time when fully opened (on the wiring harness, which I will have to figure out how to "move" just a tad to prevent the rubbing). Anyway, I would rather not have the stripes in place, than have the ragged edges, so I am going to remove them BUT leave the FORD GT like several on this forum have done. I figure that if I don't like the look, I can always get new ones.

Here is the question - does a guy use a heat gun to gently warm them to remove them? Any tips, or cautions?

Thanks in advance!

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Check in Tech :confused

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
OK guys, I am going to remove my vinyl side stripes. Primarily because they are a bit ragged behind the front wheel, and the driver door rubs it big time when fully opened (on the wiring harness, which I will have to figure out how to "move" just a tad to prevent the rubbing). Anyway, I would rather not have the stripes in place, than have the ragged edges, so I am going to remove them BUT leave the FORD GT like several on this forum have done. I figure that if I don't like the look, I can always get new ones.

Here is the question - does a guy use a heat gun to gently warm them to remove them? Any tips, or cautions?

Thanks in advance!

I have removed mine. I used a heat gun on low setting. A hair dryer on high may give the same results.

One tip; make sure when you start to peel the stripe up you peel the adhesive with the stripe. It is possible to peel the stripe and leave the adhesive on the car and then you have a real mess to deal with. Take your time, the stripes come off pretty easy.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
everetto,

I would lift the vinyl at a low angle while it is being heated. If you try to sharply pull it back over the top of itself, it will have a greater change of leaving adhesive behind. Also, try to carefully regulate how hard you pull on the vinyl as it's being removed.

Good luck and let us know how it went!

Jay

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Thank you all for the replies. She is already done! Used the heat gun on low, worked slowly - very little adhesive to clean up. What do you think? I kind of like it - think it looks kind of "clean";

4cu6c20.jpg

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Looks very, very good.

I've always like it sans side stripe but with lettering.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Looks very, very good.

I've always like it sans side stripe but with lettering.
I agree with Dave, it's the cat's ass! :thumbsup

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Looks great. :thumbsup My Midnight Blue looks the same.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
It looks Good.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Anyone has a line on having a set of side stripes made with the original GT 40 logo in lieu of the Ford GT?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Anyone has a line on having a set of side stripes made with the original GT 40 logo in lieu of the Ford GT?

Somebody posted a source several months ago, do a search. I would, but I am headed over to your dumpster, the vacation was expensive.:lol

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I think it looks great as well. Does anybody have any pictures of a '05 Quick Silver GT with the side stripes removed?

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area

Many, or some may not agree, but I think the "Ford GT" looks naked without the stripes.

I would not agree with that removal for my car. I like it much better with the full stripes.

Just one man's opinion.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Many, or some may not agree, but I think the "Ford GT" looks naked without the stripes.

I would not agree with that removal for my car. I like it much better with the full stripes.

Just one man's opinion.

Ditto

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Looks great. FloridaChris-can you post a photo of your blue w/o the stripes?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Looks very nice, you did a great job.

But I'm not so bold !

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Somebody posted a source several months ago, do a search. I would, but I am headed over to your dumpster, the vacation was expensive.:lol

Found it... I have them on order.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Thanks for the input guys. Sometimes I like the look, sometimes I am not so sure, but overall I think I like it. I would not have been bold enough to consider removing them if they weren't a bit ragged. Here is one more shot from a front angle;

4g5g31d.jpg

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Looks great. FloridaChris-can you post a photo of your blue w/o the stripes?

It's on a lift at the moment. I'll drop it tomorrow and shoot you a pic.

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Looks great Everetto. Here is a picture of an all red one. :thumbsup http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s200/GTTECH_photos/Red GT/?action=view&current=RICH-1.jpg