headlamp bulb replacement

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
hello again is it an easy job to replace headlamp, high beam and side light bulbs or do I need to replace a whole sealed headlamp unit. cheers paul

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
I recently replaced the headlight and signal light bulbs on my car and it is quite simple. This is as long as you are only changing the bulbs. As described in the headlight tech thread if you lose low beam the headlight assembly would have to be replaced.
I removed the inner fender liners to gain access( the hardest part of the job -see threads on this) then removed the evaporative canister assembly on the right side.
Once this is out of the way you remove the small box shaped plastic cover on the back of the headlight, unplug the electric cord (no clips, pulls straight out), remove the screws that hold the retaining strap or the screw that holds the bulb and remove the headlight bulb. The signal light bulb is easier as you give the holder a turn to remove.
Good luck with it. If you would like more information, please reply and I will post some pictures.

Last edited:

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
many thanks Art

paul uk

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2011
cheers much appreciated paul

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The big pain in the ass the fender liner. Work somewhere that is warm and use a hairdryer to warm it up. The big problem is bending the aluminum fender while taking it out. Once they are out, the rest is fairly easy until you have to reinstall them.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The big pain in the ass the fender liner. Work somewhere that is warm and use a hairdryer to warm it up. The big problem is bending the aluminum fender while taking it out. Once they are out, the rest is fairly easy until you have to reinstall them.

I found it not as bad as people make out. Now I did do it at about 70F and with the car on a lift so that I could work with better leverage.