Head lamp washers

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
After looking at a couple of Euro cars ... I have begun to think that washers might be a neat item on a driver GT. I wonder what is needed and how much of a PITA it would be to install them on a US spec car?

Bill? :lol

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
washers

Hell, I have never even used my windshield wipers once in 25,000 miles!

Ed

PS Stormcat doesn't even run wipers on his GT.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
After looking at a couple of Euro cars ... I have begun to think that washers might be a neat item on a driver GT. I wonder what is needed and how much of a PITA it would be to install them on a US spec car?

If Jeffey's never expressed a need/desire for 'em - why should you! :lol :cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Hell, I have never even used my windshield wipers once in 25,000 miles!

Ed

PS Stormcat doesn't even run wipers on his GT.

EP never did either, (use is wipers, or his engine for that matter!) :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP never did either, (use is wipers, or his engine for that matter!) :lol

The FORMER is true. The LATTER is not. :slap

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
Who needs a windshield wiper?? :biggrin http://www.vimeo.com/6465120

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
If Jeffey's never expressed a need/desire for 'em - why should you! :lol :cheers

Truly don't need them. Might disturb the dirt/dust too much!:rofl

As I remember it's a EU requirement for all vehicles that have HID lights. As are the multi-colored rear turn signal/brake lights.

Aug 25, 2006

There is no doubt that they could be retrofit and then appear and operate as if OEM however based on the headlight angle I doubt that in the end they would do much except in the case of Europe where they allow the gals to meet the letter of the law.

All the best

Shadowman

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
As I remember it's a EU requirement for all vehicles that have HID lights. As are the multi-colored rear turn signal/brake lights.

You're right.

However, on some cars, (ahem), the HID bulbs were removed, Single Vehicle Approval secured, and then HID bulbs reinstalled - and then washers were not needed. I didn't want them as it spoils the line.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Took mine off,Just keep drivers side in trunk.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I was drove to have a short visit with Shadowman on Sunday and was hit with a small downpour on the way home, definitely used the wipers. Unfortunately, I got a rock ding about the same time in the windshield.:ack

Aug 25, 2006
Took mine off,Just keep drivers side in trunk.

Headlight washers aka the high pressure spray nozzles located in the front fascia...... not the windshield wipers

Shadowman

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Headlight washers aka the high pressure spray nozzles located in the front fascia...... not the windshield wipers

Shadowman

I think he was replying/commenting regarding stmts in posts #2, #4, & #6, Bill.

Aug 25, 2006
I think he was replying/commenting regarding stmts in posts #2, #4, & #6, Bill.

I think that you are correct

Merry Christmas

Shadowman

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I think that you are correct

Merry Christmas

Shadowman

Back atcha, sir! :cheers

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Thanks Bill.

Guys my thoughts were about like this. A good condition higher mileage GT can be had for less than a new 911 turbo and as we all know the GT is much more car. For use as a driver .. it makes economic sense. I have had several GT's and always remove the wipers also .. but the thought crossed my mind as an individual mod that could be both functional and cool (IE rare in USA) and possibly functional....

Bill's comments pretty much laid out what I suspected but ... we share here for a reason.

Thank you for all your comments and thoughts... they are always appreciated.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
It would be illegal in the UK to drive without windscreen wipers - however headlight washer systems are not compulsory although for SVA purposes you would not pass if you have HID lamps and no washer.

The reason, as far as I understand it, is that HID systems generate more heat than a collapsing star and that water evaporating on the glass will leave a residue obscuring the lamp, which will, in turn, overheat and fail.

I hope this has been illuminating.

Jingle Bells.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

I hope this has been illuminating.

Very. And, as usual, cleverly entertaining as well! :thumbsup :cheers

Merry Christmas, Neil!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
.......and a very merry and healthy one to you and your family too.

We have a bit of snow here (not too much), so there's no bread or sugar in the shops (usual UK panic when the first flake arrives), my mother in law arrives this afternoon.... happy days.... :biggrin

EasterSnowcopy-1.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
.......and a very merry and healthy one to you and your family too.

We have a bit of snow here (not too much), so there's no bread or sugar in the shops (usual UK panic when the first flake arrives), my mother in law arrives this afternoon.... happy days.... :biggrin

EasterSnowcopy-1.jpg

WHERE ARE YOUR CHRISTMAS LIGHTS?!!! 'Photo's SCREAMING for 'em! :slap

'Very "classic" Christmas snow scene! (And timely as well!)

BTW, MY mother-in-law...and father-in-law...and sister & brother-in-law, and other various kin of THEIR'S will be here tomorrow. BUT - I'm lucky in that department! They're all a kick in the pants! :lol