Have you ever let some one else drive your GT

H

HHGT

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about his new GT experience and it dawned on me that I have let only 2 friends drive my GT and within a month, they both bought one. How often have you guys let a non GT owner drive your car and if you did, did you just toss them the keys or did you go as a passenger?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about his new GT experience and it dawned on me that I have let only 2 friends drive my GT and within a month, they both bought one. How often have you guys let a non GT owner drive your car and if you did, did you just toss them the keys or did you go as a passenger?

'Toss them the keys??? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I have a standing rule: I don't drive other people's toys...they don't drive mine. 'Has nothing to do with being "selfish", or whatever either. (Once burned is thrice learned, IMO.)

(Yes, I know Sam, Clinton, et al - I don't even drive my OWN toys. Shuddup. :bored :biggrin)

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
So far I've let three of my friends/car buddies drive the car, and I'm hoping to let a few more do so before I put it away for the winter. I love watching their face as they push on the "happy pedal". These are serious car guys, with serious $$, and serious respect for the privledge being offered to them. I love to share, but I'm very particular as to who I'll let drive, and yes, I'm in the passenger seat, and have usually spent a lot of time in the passenger seat of one of their cars before I'd let them drive mine.

Last edited:

gwbartlett

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Indiana
NO

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Many, Many, stopped counting them after 100. (Majority were fellow Vintage Racer's.)

The GT Experience is hugely elevated when they get their first ride in the GT - they have to drive it.

And my offer/requirement has only been turned down twice.

Took them for a ride anyway.

At the end of the ride, which they fully enjoyed, I asked why they didn't want to drive the GT. Rather sheepishly they gave me their reason - both had never driven a car with a clutch before. And that took me by surprise, as they were both in their 50's!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Because most of us are car nuts, I let everyone sit in it, thanks to jeff,take pictures, ect, but I never drive other peoples cars just God forbid something happens ...soo......no...
But a foot note if you bought your GT new in 05, alot of carriers were nervous when they first came out,My original policy I needed to Notarise that there would be no other drivers or the insurance was null and void....
just old nostalgia gt stories for years to come...gtjoey1314

AZSTAD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 4, 2008
Arizona
Tanner Foust. NOT Paul Tracy! =) TeamJeff and a select few others that have the "means" to buy a new one if something should happen.

In general, the combination of HP and no traction control hinders me from just letting any buddy drive the car.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I've invited my brother to drive mine on several occasions. I'm always behind him taking in the site of my beautiful car going down the road which by the way if you've never seen your car from a spectator's position, I highly recommend it. It also afford me the opportunity to get some nice pictures and videos. When he is able to find time to get in the driver's seat we always go out very early in the morning on a weekend with no traffic and he is as careful and as experienced with HP as anyone I know. I have never and most likely will never invite anyone else besides him into the driver's seat. It's not that I don't have great trustworthy friends but still... just too much risk.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have let 8 or so people drive my car .One of them my son for his 17th birthday! Another one was a good friends son who I coached in racing .He was 19 at the time and did not want to drive it .
I made him !!!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Not counting various forum sponsors who've worked on my car, I've had 4 friends/family drive it: wife, bro-in-law, friend, fellow who works for us and helps me with our cars. They all understood to be careful. In addition, photographed countless people in or next to it.

I think it's nice to share the experience with folks who might never got the opportunity to drive something so special.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I've let a few people drive mine... my wife, a friend who worked for me, another friend who does the annual state inspections... that's about it. I've got a couple other friends that I'll let take a drive, but I know a bunch more that wanna' drive it, but never will.

Oh yeah, step daughter want's to drive it as well, but requires some basic training on manual transmission operation/shifting before she eventually gets behind the wheel of my FGT.

mardyn

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
well Brian, my friend, drove my blue car from houston to the rally in austin and had exclusive access to it the whole time we were there, it was kinda like his own car for those three days, I drove the black car, does that count? I had only one other friend drive the black car.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
About a dozen people have driven my car. I always ride along.

Chip

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
- both had never driven a car with a clutch before.

Wifey's never driven anything but an automatic either. That's why I bought an automatic equipped P/U...for those rare occasions when it may be necessary for HER to drive it. And there HAVE been a couple.

IMO everybody ought to learn on "stick shift" car just so they'd be able to drive ANYTHING in an emergency. ('Tried to convince wifey of that...'may as well have been talking to a brick wall!)

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Yes ............................. GTJoey and Ron(Rocketman) and Rich Brooks ..............that's it.

Ron took me on a scary ride at Vegas Raceway................he's very good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Roketman is the only person I've let drive my car. He took it from my place to his house to have Rich Roback service it. At the time my car had a pulley and his car was stock... he liked the pulley!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
only my mechanics drive my ridez and i ride with them....

Kendall (nota4re) is gonna take me for a ride in my GT after he puts the 4.0 L whipple and borla headers on it :thumbsup

it is good to be my mechanic because it has it's perks :cheers

Last edited:

Mike Mosing

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 9, 2009
Florisiana
Very few, but one was a good friend with a new ZR1 and so we swapped rides for the morning. He is now looking for a GT and I am going to add a ZR1 to the stables before year end. :)

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Because most of us are car nuts, I let everyone sit in it, thanks to jeff,take pictures, ect, but I never drive other peoples cars just God forbid something happens ...soo......no...
But a foot note if you bought your GT new in 05, alot of carriers were nervous when they first came out,My original policy I needed to Notarise that there would be no other drivers or the insurance was null and void....
just old nostalgia gt stories for years to come...gtjoey1314

GTJOEY,

Didn't you just drive someone else's car? Wasn't it a GT40?

I also have let quite a few people drive my FGT. The first time it only had 5 miles on it when I let someone else behind the wheel. I would never let someone drive it without me being in the passenger seat however. The temptation to drive it too carelessly is too great.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I have never let anyone drive mine, that way everyone's happy! I would let another GT owner drive it, but what would be the point?