Has anyone put down a deposit yet?

jvmax

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 13, 2008
Hi,

Just curious if anyone has put down a deposit or been put on a list yet at a Ford dealership?

Dolph

GT Owner
Dec 25, 2012
Ruston, LA
Not yet, but plan to camp outside my Ford dealer's front door Sunday night with checkbook in my pocket.

Dolph

mopar

GT Owner
Jan 23, 2014
grosse ile mich
see it 1st

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I asked. They looked at me like I was talking nonsense

campbell53

Sep 28, 2007
I am a Ford dealer and I know nothing about it. And I sell more Gt500s and Saleen Mustangs than any dealer I know. So I consider my store somewhat hi performance oriented. I do know that I will be keeping one considering I let an earlier GT slip away. But I am on pins and needles waiting to see what this new supercar is......

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I asked. They looked at me like I was talking nonsense

same thing....

But in early 2004 when I walked into the dealer with a $150k check they looked at me like I was a red headed stepchild. They never had anybody offer to pay for the car 1 yr beforehand when they had no ordering info etc... Even then, I'm not wasting my time thinking about deposit for something I've haven't even seen... FGT we knew what it was.

The new one I'm just not sold yet.

And I don't think the ecobeast is for me.... Even to the point I think my next truck will be a Dodge

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
same thing....

But in early 2004 when I walked into the dealer with a $150k check they looked at me like I was a red headed stepchild. They never had anybody offer to pay for the car 1 yr beforehand when they had no ordering info etc... Even then, I'm not wasting my time thinking about deposit for something I've haven't even seen... FGT we knew what it was.

And I don't think the ecobeast is for me.... Even to the point I think my next truck will be a Dodge

This is such an exciting time. The anticipation of this event and the fact that they have kept it under wraps for so long is really unbelievable. I am very optimistic about the design of the new car. IMO they will go an entirely different direction and present something that will "wow" us all. Ten years ago, most of us wouldn't have imagined that Ford design (and American car design in general) would be able to come as far as it has. When I look back at Ford's lineup in 2005-2006, there were a few nice cars, but IMO nothing like they have today. They have made me a believer, and I think that as a whole, this turn around started with our FGT which you may recall was labeled "the pace car for an entire company. Can't wait!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I strongly advise you don't pre-emptively give money to a dealer at this point.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Keep in mind, small Dealers will never get an allocation for such a rare production vehicle if produced and sold to the general public. As a former Ford dealer I know as I had to purchase my GT from another dealer. Good Luck. Quite often the Dealer is the last to know about production. Watch publications and press releases. Right on Dave, don't just throw money to a dealer.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Keep in mind, small Dealers will never get an allocation for such a rare production vehicle if produced and sold to the general public. As a former Ford dealer I know as I had to purchase my GT from another dealer. Good Luck. Quite often the Dealer is the last to know about production. Watch publications and press releases. Right on Dave, don't just throw money to a dealer.

This

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
They looked at me like I was talking nonsense

We all look at you that way Ron from time to time ...... :wink

Sorry, just too good to resist :lol:biggrin:rofl:facepalm:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

Ominous.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

I was just advising against it for the same reason Tomy stated above. 3,000+ Ford dealers. Anyone telling you they will take your money now on the assumption they can get you something low-volume that hasn't even been shown to the public, be it a specialty Mustang or anything else, is just taking a dice roll and borrowing your money.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Even then, I'm not wasting my time thinking about deposit for something I've haven't even seen... FGT we knew what it was.

Regardless of the car's looks, the amount shown on its window sticker together with the heft of the dealer premium that we all know will be added to it (the amount of which will drastically escalate in direct proportion to the production volume of the car...or rather the lack thereof) may mean a lot of wives will be getting new houses instead.

And I don't think the ecobeast is for me....

Nor for a number of others, I suspect...myself being one of them. But, even if it's powered by a TT V8, by the time the abacus is done smokin', my own cheap self isn't likely to pay what the new car will probably cost anyway - even if one were made available to me...which isn't likely either! :leaving:

Last edited:

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

utttt ohhhhhh

Shoboat

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 23, 2005
Toledo Ohio
I bought my 2005 in November of the same year for sticker, no premium. I simply waited until the dealers had raped the early buyers. I am anxious to see the new car and hope to buy one.

campbell53

Sep 28, 2007
Rape implies that the 'early' buyers had no choice. Its offensive. The market is never wrong. As a dealer why should I sell a car to you for MSRP that you can immediately flip for a profit? I wouldn't be doing my job by leaving money on the table. Good for you for having the patience to wait it out but I vehemently disagree with your perspective.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Rape implies that the 'early' buyers had no choice. Its offensive. The market is never wrong. As a dealer why should I sell a car to you for MSRP that you can immediately flip for a profit? I wouldn't be doing my job by leaving money on the table. Good for you for having the patience to wait it out but I vehemently disagree with your perspective.

Is why the avg Joe dislikes dealers; adds cost, not value.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I certainly don't like the idea of paying over sticker, but I agree with Campbell53. What added value is there for the people selling their GTs for two to three times sticker today? Why is a dealer doing something wrong for asking market when I doubt there is a one of us that wouldn't accept the huge increase in market value on a GT, or anything else they were selling, house, boat, stocks, - especially if it was for considerably more than you paid...

and I am in line, sans deposit if it is for real - hopefully for no more than MSRP... :biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A question for people upset with dealers using ADMs: should I feel ashamed paying over $10k less than MSRP for my 2014 F150? Did I rip off the dealer?

The free market isn't a one-way street.