has anyone ordered a challanger SRT8?

jkgt

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2006
Colorado
Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is a good looking car other than me. I am working with my dealer right now. They are stuck on $10 grand over sticker.

Joe

side note why only make it with a auto?

0506FordGT

Jan 29, 2008
Maryland/Georgia
I like it... but the 6 speed is said to come out next year!

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
Just wondering if anyone else thinks this is a good looking car other than me. I am working with my dealer right now. They are stuck on $10 grand over sticker.

Joe

side note why only make it with a auto?

ordered 1 last dec 3 over sticker.. coming in end of march.. I believe waiting will be the right choice for list...

Good Luck

Gino

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
I love that car!

But....

I'll be waiting until the '09. 6-speed, more colors, no feeding frenzy.... I got no patience for markups and waiting lists. Besides, I have a Magnum SRT8 wagon, and the new Chally's drivetrain is basically identical, and not all that thrilling with the slushy auto trans. Even with harder shifts programmed, it's still like driving a car over the internet. Mucho delay and lag to driver input makes everything happen about 500ms after you think it will. It's entirely possible to quickly floor the gas and release the pedal before ANY response from the drivetrain, except for a slight increase in revs that occurs AFTER your foot is off the pedal. DBW, slow trans computer, whatever.... it lags like a beeeotch.

samthejeepman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 14, 2005
new jersey
ordered mine 12-03-07 at 9:24 am
supposed to be the first ordered in jersey--lol
the auto/stick bothers me, but i wanted to be in the first orders that get the dash badges etc.
probably later on i will order another with a stick and hopefully gobs of horsepower ???

sam

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
They'll be flying off the showroom floor, Ahhhh, more American muscles :thumbsup

DodgeChallenger.jpg

Jim H

Nov 27, 2006
Florida, Tampa Bay
They are a much better buy, in my opinion, then a 70 or 72 car...and they will be faster, handle better, and stop too...hard to beat computerized engineering.

The folks paying over 100k for the old cars will be lucky to see the rear end of the new Challenger, Camaro, and Shelby GT500 in a street or strip race...and...at least for the Camaro, (using a Corvette motor) will get decent mileage...maybe more important when gasoline hits 3.50 or 4.00 per gal...

I think Dodge, Chevy and Ford are hitting home runs with these cars...too bad they waited so long.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think Dodge, Chevy and Ford are hitting home runs with these cars...too bad they waited so long.

Until the greenee eco nuts and government regulations stop the party. The American automakers have enough problems without adding roadblocks from eco nuts that can pass high school math and the government! These idiots are always talk about increasing the quality and number of American jobs and then turn around and pass new laws to do the opposite thing.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Until the greenee eco nuts and government regulations stop the party. The American automakers have enough problems without adding roadblocks from eco nuts that can pass high school math and the government! These idiots are always talk about increasing the quality and number of American jobs and then turn around and pass new laws to do the opposite thing.

+1:thumbsup

My son was hot for one of these but with the mark up he decided to wait for the new Camaro. Thinking it will split up the market a bit and drive these to sticker. He and his buddies argue about the two cars. The opinion pole form my garage is that if the new Camaro comes in lighter looks like it did in Transformers and gets Vet like fuel economy, it wins with the 24-30 crowd.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I wish I had a bigger garage. :lol

red gt 1442

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 23, 2005
NY Metro Area
They are a much better buy, in my opinion, then a 70 or 72 car...and they will be faster, handle better, and stop too...hard to beat computerized engineering.

The folks paying over 100k for the old cars will be lucky to see the rear end of the new Challenger, Camaro, and Shelby GT500 in a street or strip race...and...at least for the Camaro, (using a Corvette motor) will get decent mileage...maybe more important when gasoline hits 3.50 or 4.00 per gal...

You are right Jim, they will stop better, handle better, but I doubt they will be faster..I have a 70 440 6 pack challenger, and it will burn rubber till u take your foot off the gas pedal,,,,,,, nothing comes close to it (other than a vintage hemi) it will surprise you of the power it has... braking and handling, well that's another story...

Gino

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
I think this is one of the better looking retro cars out there. I am waiting for the stick or sure. Also I understand the ragtop will be out next year as well. The real problem is the power. The 6.1 srt 8 engine in todays time is too underpowered for the group this thing is competing with. There are too many other cars out there over 425 hp. This is the real drawback to this car, I only hope that chrysler looks at the power plant again and come out with something 500 hp or over.
Also I thought the rule of thumb was never buy a car the first year it comes out !! hehehe:willy

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I have one coming in, the first one in our area... loaded to the hilt, orange with stripes... I have not made up my mind completely yet as the 09 looks like it will have the 6 speed so I will let the board know if I pass on it...

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
The new Challenger looks like a great car, Definitely will attract alot of attention to start. I am considering one my dealer wants $20K over, A little closer to MSRP and I might buy one, Orange of course. they will make 5,000 the first year so prices should come down quickly. Where can you get the looks this car has for a $41K MSRP.

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
You are right Jim, they will stop better, handle better, but I doubt they will be faster..I have a 70 440 6 pack challenger, and it will burn rubber till u take your foot off the gas pedal,,,,,,, nothing comes close to it (other than a vintage hemi) it will surprise you of the power it has... braking and handling, well that's another story...

Gino

I agree with Gino. I have a Magnum SRT8 (same drivetrain as the new Chally SRT8), as well as a stock 70 Cuda 440-4 convert, AND a mildly worked 70 Charger 440-4. The SRT8 will pull away from the Cuda by a slight margin, but probably becuase the Cuda's 440 is a tired low-comp 440 out of a Dodge motorhome. :bored

The worked Charger is another matter, however. No comparison... not even close. The Charger is an easy 2-3 seconds faster in the quarter, and it will scare the living you-know-what out of you. Equipped with the popular "Wander-O-Matic" steering, "Thump-O-Matic" TorqueFlite, and "Hop-O-Matic" rear suspension, it's a real handful to keep it between the lines at full song..... and then the "No-Vacuum-O-Matic" brakes will give you one last scare at the end of the run! But the thing is so much burlier and faster than the new car that it is kind of embarrassing. I'm talking easy 11's compared to 13's and up.... Maybe with a different tune the SRT could gain a sec, but it's a two-ton grocery getter, so who cares.

If there happens to be any turning involved, the 70 cars sound like an episode of "The Rockford Files" followed by an episode of "Emergency!", whereas the SRT8 just locks into the groove, so in terms of actually driving the thing, the choice is clear! :thumbsup

BTW: I heard Chally converts aren't going to happen until 2010my (if Dodge lasts that long)!:ack:lol

nthfinity

Apr 18, 2006
South East MI
Dodge_Challenger_SRT8_1s.JPG

I'm told the first deliveries are only about 3 weeks away :)

0506FordGT

Jan 29, 2008
Maryland/Georgia
I'm told the first deliveries are only about 3 weeks away :)

Nope they've already started delivery:
http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23841

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...The 6.1 srt 8 engine in todays time is too underpowered for the group this thing is competing with. There are too many other cars out there over 425 hp. This is the real drawback to this car, I only hope that chrysler looks at the power plant again and come out with something 500 hp or over.

Chrys is REPORTEDLY going to release (in the fall) a "Challenger SS". This WILL HAVE a 392 cu in (6.4), 500 hp Hemi in it.

The alarming part of the report is that the car will not be street legal & won't even have seats in it (other than for the driver). THAT makes no sense to me. WHY would they wanna limit their sales/market??? I strongly suspect THAT part of the story must be garbage.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Did you read the owner's post? Says he is thinking about storing it as an investment. :lol

0506FordGT

Jan 29, 2008
Maryland/Georgia
Did you read the owner's post? Says he is thinking about storing it as an investment. :lol

Yeah I know... as my user name is 04Fire. I doubt it will bring big money down the road as I can foresee a number of people doing this storage thing... same thing goes for the GT500.

But last I checked I’m no fortune teller so you never know.