guys who run hoosiers year round

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
how the heck do you deal with the cold weather behavior? I didn't realize how sucky these things are below whatever temp it is to make them sticky. My car is sliding even coming out of my driveway. In fact tomorrow i'm going to swap my bridgestones back on... it's that bad..

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
how the heck do you deal with the cold weather behavior? I didn't realize how sucky these things are below whatever temp it is to make them sticky. My car is sliding even coming out of my driveway. In fact tomorrow i'm going to swap my bridgestones back on... it's that bad..

Tire compounding can result in a "glass Transition" temperature characteristic that results in a very low coefficient of friction below that temperature IE don't drive race tires in the winter. There is no free lunch though, good cold weather tires lose grip at high temperatures. There are all kinds of variations in between but none will have the very best warm weather or the very best cold weather performance.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Living in New England, car parks in october, actually really never moved after the rally, then some time in april or May it will move again, problem solved. Yes I know, not a helpful response.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I have never ran Hoosiers on the street except to leave the track to get fuel. Not made to stick until you have made some hard maneuvers. I do not run on the street because the pickup way to much debris off the road and through it on the car. No tire works good cold but race tires need more that street.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I have used them on the road for years without any problems except in the rain:lol

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Slicks below 50 degrees is pushing it

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
I live where you live and I run Hoosiers year round. No matter how cold it gets they have way more traction than the Goodyears I took off. Those Googyears on a cold night were like driving on an ice rink. Cold tires on cold pavement with big power are a bad combo with any tire. No matter how cold it gets, all serious track racing on dry pavement is done with slicks.

Chip

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I run Hoosiers all year round with no problem. Even light rain is ok - just no standing water. It's 50 now & they are sticking ok. Peiserg - I think you must have something on your tires causing them to be slick. They should be sticker than the Bridgestones or Goodyears at any temp. I love the Hoosiers since they stick for me even cold. The other tires I have tried need to be warmed up more to stick. Your problem is not because of the Hoosiers.

Ed

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
Have to agree with Torrie, Chip and Ed, I also run them year round, I've even been over Tehachapi pass in a snow shower and on the track in light greasy rain below 60 degrees. The only time it gets sketchy is when their is standing water.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Slicks below 50 degrees is pushing it

Negative. It's all about the contact patch. All you have to do is let them warm up a bit - as with any tire.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have always run only Hoosiers. This past August I got stuck driving in a Nor-easter.The worst rain and wind I have ever experienced.I was on Hoosiers of course and had never been so unnerved driving a car .I was doing 25mph with my flashers on a major motorway (I-95.)
I was just so grateful to make it home.Oh yes I also forgot to mention I had no wipers either!After that experience I decide to run Bridgestones for street use.Since I only track my car at the rallies now it made good sense.I do have a The other benefit is I don't have to listen to my wife say ."We can't take the GT because it might rain"! I am also very pleased to say I just got my new low profile wipers from JC HORNE! Those go on next!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I love it - Roketman can't see out the windshield & he's floating all over freeway! If he was scared it must have been bad!

Ed

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Been running them year round for over 5 years now, no problems. Even on a light wet road. Put clear film in all areas where it might kick up junk from the road.