Guerin Design - Large storage trunk - experiences?

Laurence

Apr 24, 2010
Looking to tick off a 10 year dream in the next few months and pick up a Ford GT if the funds permit... but one of the things I'd like to do to it is the reverse clamshell kit and large storage trunk making it a bit more suited to overnight hotel road trips.

ClamShellKit-.jpg

4-29-2010%20185.jpg

4-29-2010%20190.jpg

I see these on the Guerin Engineering website but the website seems to be done in 2009 and I'm not finding much on the forum search - at least in the last few years. Does anyone know if they are still offering these kits and has anyone dealt with them recently?

Have shot them an e-mail but would also like to hear if other GT owners have positive experiences dealing with them, or experiences with the large storage conversion?

Anyone taken measurements of the temperatures inside the box? And any effects on engine temperatures?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Bernard lives in this area. Forum member Steve Woodrough has that kit on his GTX1.

As a spectator you can't send PMs. If you'd like, I can ask Steve if he minds giving his email address.

p780253201-6.jpg

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you don’t do the Guerin thing .We can help you on how to pack your car for traveling.Myself,Mark McGowan and spouses traveled from Vegas to Detroit/Boston .It was a 2,700 mile trip for myself /wife.We sucessfully packed everything we needed.With a little ingenuity it can be done.Let me know if you need some advice.
This how much Mark was able to pack in his car! Bare in mind Mark and Lynn are tall people!

Attachments

• IMG_6986.jpg
    IMG_6986.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 594

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Looking for an invitation to Share your tips? Just let them come in ;)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Ok so what we did was got 3 Ford GT car cover bags and used them for our travel bags.One goes in the trunk and even with the bag you can still stuff some shoes and a few other other items in ,one in the passenger foot well ,it can go all the way forward as a foot rest or you can put it right next to the seat as a lounge chair!Lastly you can straddle it in the passenger foot well .I left those decisions to my wife.I also put one behind the drivers seat. Depending on your height,Im all of 5ft 6inch so I have plenty of room behind my seat.I also have some really nice custom made saddle bags that replace the netting on the rear panel So I was able to stuff items into that as well. I also ditch the owners manual and use that space too.
Marks approach however is a bit different.He lays all his clothes out flat in the trunk .Which seems to work very well.He than uses suction cups with hooks that he mounts on the rear glass behind the seats to hang his clothes. Again the foot well gets some good use too.
It is however important to remember NOT TO put anything liquid in the trunk or combustable as the trunk can heat up to 150 degrees.
I will say after traveling 2,700 miles across the country this past summer the car is really a wonderful car to travel in.The seats are very ,very comfortable on long trips.I also learned (from Mark) that the gas gauge is also a clock! Yes a clock... Every 1/4 of a tank is one hour of travel time and about a 75 miles The only problem was our bladders were only good for about 300 miles give or take! We averaged about 25-26 miles per gallon!
I hope this helps you.But more importantly.I hope that you go and travel in this wonderful car! Every time you stop for gas ,its like being a celebrity!
Also remember to pack a tire plug kit just in case. Next rally we are driving Boston to Detroit!

Last edited:

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Every 1/4 of a tank is one hour of travel time and about a 100 miles (at aprox 75mph!)

What I've gleaned from the above is that the GT does not understand 'travel time', but rather 'time travel' and is akin to a time machine, in that it is able to do 100 miles in one hour at only 75 miles per hour. Most cars would only go 75 Miles in one hour at 75 mph (or would need to go approx 100 mph to travel the same distance). :biggrin:lol:thumbsup

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
what i've gleaned from the above is that the gt does not understand 'travel time', but rather 'time travel' and is akin to a time machine, in that it is able to do 100 miles in one hour at only 75 miles per hour. Most cars would only go 75 miles in one hour at 75 mph (or would need to go approx 100 mph to travel the same distance). :biggrin:lol:thumbsup

lol!

[video=youtube;Qhm7-LEBznk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhm7-LEBznk[/video]

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What I've gleaned from the above is that the GT does not understand 'travel time', but rather 'time travel' and is akin to a time machine, in that it is able to do 100 miles in one hour at only 75 miles per hour. Most cars would only go 75 Miles in one hour at 75 mph (or would need to go approx 100 mph to travel the same distance). :biggrin:lol:thumbsup

:lol

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Only got to 1:16 and it was just to damn painful. :facepalm:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Only got to 1:16 and it was just to damn painful. :facepalm:

A true blonde moment. You have to go to about 4:30 to get the whole blonde understanding though.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
fixed it duh

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Ha!

A few years ago in my "social period" - I had the chance to fly a MiG supersonic. One of the gals I was dating (coincidentally she was a blonde) asked what it was like to fly faster than the speed of sound. I told her that it was really weird. That because you were traveling faster than the speed of sound, the guy in front ended up answering questions before the guy in back could even ask. She thought that was cool.

Dear Laurence, even if you are at this time a spectator, i do take you serious, because you get really into the subject, planning future trip-possibilities with you Ford GT once you have brought one !
I have one in Switzerland, midnightblumetallic, around 40000 miles driven to date now. Aside i had a F430 F1 and a F 575M F1, which had enormous space for luggage in comparison with our GT's.
Nevertheless my wife and myself travelled in my F. GT in Winter 2007/2008, when there was no snow at all in sight from Zuerich, in Switzerland to London for almost a week, and back.
Mileage about one way with little detours 800 miles. We had driving shoes, wintershoes for outside the car-use, Two thick winter jackets, pullovers, woolen sweaters, a big nitted winter-hat for Jutta which is always freezing, a samsonitebeautycase, two not to big bags, of course not full ( as the ones for the car covers are used ), T-shirts, 5 for each of us, underwear, socks, an umbrella (as it is often raining in London) a thermo with hot tea, 2 plastic teacups and we were not at all uncomfortable or unable to enjoy the ride. The seats are able to give enough comfort for such long trips, the first day we have driven almost 600 mls from Switzerland to the french coast in the north of France near the town of Calais. I did not have any problems sitting so iong in those oem-seats, i tell you that because my backbone is damaged, as i had some years ago two discs in the kidney area dislocated, with enormous pain( the accident occurred outside a car, when i fell on a icy road ).
sincerely

Felix

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

This also explains how roketman gets 26 mpg. I have never gotten better than 21.

Now I know that all I have to do is drive 25 miles further in an hour on the same amount of gas. Why didn't someone tell me this a long time ago?

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ha!

A few years ago in my "social period" - I had the chance to fly a MiG supersonic. One of the gals I was dating (coincidentally she was a blonde) asked what it was like to fly faster than the speed of sound. I told her that it was really weird. That because you were traveling faster than the speed of sound, the guy in front ended up answering questions before the guy in back could even ask. She thought that was cool.

Are you by any chance related to Steven Wright?

"So...if you're in a car traveling at the speed of light and you turn your headlights on, does anything happen?"

:wink

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Unloading after return from one of the rallies.

Attachments

• 330_32053671602_3713_n.jpg
    330_32053671602_3713_n.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 199

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I am really curious on those two standing bags on the left. I could only imagine that you and your wife/girlfriend are not very tall and you can move the seats forward so they fit behind. Right ?

Something totally different: Best possible color combination (don't ask how I came to that conclusion ;) )

Last edited:

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
5'7"....avoid anything breakable in the tall bags, put behind the seats and push back. They are narrow enough that some of the long cylindrical containers will fit alongside behind the seats. (have an alterations guy put a zipper down a lawn chair baggie - great for shorts and socks - haven't found anything commercially made to fit the bill.) Red & black bag as knee rest in front of the passenger seat. Rollerblades, bike helmet, mini tent, summer sleeping bag in the front trunk. (Rearranged 4 or 5 times until all fit.) The rest is mostly soft stuff, hoodies & wind shells, lay across the top of the airport roll-alongs behind the seats. I also baggied some detailing gear, which went in the spot for the oil cooler.
No bike carrier, had to rent in Moab Utah.