Guages not working at startup

futuregt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 25, 2005
Occasionally when I start my car, the tach, oil pressure and fuel guage don't work. If I turn it off and on a couple times, everything works fine. Anyone experience this. I only have 80 miles on the car.
Thanks

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
This is nothing to worry about. I've had the same issues and upon checking into it got this explanation from Roush:

“The issue with the tacho not reading is due to low battery voltage on start up. You can have enough voltage to start the car but the instrument cluster needs a higher voltage to activate. When you run the car for a while switch it off and then on again the voltage will have built up sufficiently that the gauge works straight away. I have seen this frequently on cars we have here as we are often storing cars for some time without significant battery charging. It’s not something to worry about and if the car is used more frequently you shouldn’t see this at all.”

This all checks out as the only time my tach doesn’t work is after start-up when I haven’t used the car for two or three weeks and I haven’t had the trickle charger plugged-in. After running it for a while everything works fine.

Rob

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
FutureGT you now need to change your screen name to PresentGT! Also I bet that's very good news from Rob! Interesting info too.

Why not get a trickle charger? I don't use my GT much at the moment as it's winter over here, so it sits on a charge 24/7.

futuregt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 25, 2005
Thanks

Thanks, I thought it was something related to not driving/charging enough. The car had not been driven for months before I bought it. I've only driven a couple times, just waiting to get my Registration sorted out.

mymach5

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne, Florida
I found that I have no failures if I turn the key to the on position and wait for all the gauges to power up (3 seconds) before I push the fun red button.:willy

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I found that I have no failures if I turn the key to the on position and wait for all the gauges to power up (3 seconds) before I push the fun red button.:willy

Also no problems if you guys would drive the freakin' car. Drove mine to my high school reunion last night in a blinding rainstorm with 2 slick rear tires(factory GY). No problems at all.....just ran cooler in the rain.

Last edited:

mymach5

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2007
Melbourne, Florida
Also no problems if you guys would drive the freakin' car.

I have 9500 miles on mine!:banana