GTX1 passes California Emissions

Yogi

Photographer
Aug 28, 2006
Green Bay, WI
Just a quick FYI: Recently we have received word that the GTX1, including those vehicles equipped with the HP upgrade and the Genaddi headers with cat back silencer, does in fact pass California's Air Resources Board (ARB) emission ratings. If you have further concerns please let us know.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Are you saying a car was tested at a Smog Station and passed the sniffer test or are you saying that CARB has certified the car with these modifications and issued an EO number? Two very, very different things.

kiknyass

Jan 10, 2007
dosen't every aftermark accesory part have to have an CARB number to be steet legal? dose these parts have one, or every x1 owner going to get fined for illegal parts?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't think every part needs an exemption, only those the CARB believes can affect emissions, including, but not limited to,

1. Headers
2. Pulleys
3. Cams
4. Cat delete
5. Heads
etc.

Stuff that doesn't need exemptions,

1. Door handles
2. Light bulbs
3. Seats
4. Radios

Grey area

1. Mufflers,
2. Cat back system
3. Porting heads
4. Air intake systems

Now I would assume useless the GTX folks publish an EO number, a pulley change, or headers would technically be a problem in CA depending on who tests your car. There is the emissions test and the visual inspection. It is the visual where you may get nailed.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I don't think every part needs an exemption, only those the CARB believes can affect emissions, including, but not limited to,

1. Headers
2. Pulleys
3. Cams
4. Cat delete
5. Heads
etc.

Stuff that doesn't need exemptions,

1. Door handles
2. Light bulbs
3. Seats
4. Radios

Grey area

1. Mufflers,
2. Cat back system
3. Porting heads
4. Air intake systems

Now I would assume useless the GTX folks publish an EO number, a pulley change, or headers would technically be a problem in CA depending on who tests your car. There is the emissions test and the visual inspection. It is the visual where you may get nailed.

Great post, the little birdie told me they eliminated the ash tray in the GT so the occupants would not smoke and polute our pristine air.... come to Fresno, we are in the top 5 bad air cities in the country.... I hate the rules in this state...

Yogi

Photographer
Aug 28, 2006
Green Bay, WI
As I understand it, the car passed a smog station test.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hey Yogi,

Good info that it passes. Cars are also subjected to a thorough (mandated) visual inspection in addition to the sniffer test. As the GT is relatively rare, an inspection may not catch the fact that the car has headers - potentially beliveing that this is a factory exhaust. However, any modification to exhaust components upstream of the CATs will/should be looked at. So, an owner could "get lucky", and pass the visual with headers - but others may not be so lucky. In my own personal experience (not with the GT) I "played dumb" when the inspector asked about the headers. I said, yes, I thought they were factory. Unfortuantely the guy didn't want to believe me and said that he wouldn't test the car until he could verify it on Monday. (I intentionally went to the station on a Sunday.) Needless to say, I didn't go back but chose to drive 5 minutes down the street to another station. He shrugged his shoulders at the headers and said that if it passed the sniffer, he was OK. It passed and I was on my way.

kiknyass

Jan 10, 2007
Aftermarket parts manufacturers who make nonstock performance parts for engines, the fuel, ignition or exhaust systems must apply for special certification for any parts they want to sell as being emissions-legal. The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has been the leading government body in this respect, so most submit their proposals to CARB.

First, they must submit detailed proof in the form of laboratory dyno test that document their part does not have an adverse effect on exhaust emissions. These tests are very expensive and must conform with specified test procedures. CARB then reviews the data and may or may not ask for additional information and/or testing. If the product meets CARB's criteria, CARB issues an "executive order" (EO) number (also called an "exemption" number) certifying that the part is in compliance with the applicable clean air rules.

An EO number means the component can be legally manufactured, distributed, sold and installed on a street driven vehicle in the state of California. It also means the component is legally acceptable in all 50 states because the federal Environmental Protection Agency also recognizes the CARB exemption program as meeting their "Memorandum 1A" requirements for certifying emissions legal parts.

Virtually all stock replacement parts are emissions-legal regardless of who makes them. But if you're buying any nonstock performance parts, heed the following to make sure you're "safe" from an emissions standpoint:

* Look for wording on the box that says the product is emissions legal or emissions certified for street use in compliance with the EPA and/or CARB rules.

* Look for the EO (executive order) exemption number issued by the California Air Resources Board on the box, product or in the catalog. Remember, the product must have an EO number to be street legal.

* If there is no EO number and one is required to be street-legal, it cannot be legally installed on a street-driven vehicle. Period.