GT500 or Z06

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Guys, I need a decision by Monday: Red/White GT500 or Yellow Z-06. I ordered both, but can only buy one. Other cars are: '01 996TT (red) and F-GT (red/white). Both I had since new and plan to keep them f-ever and pass them on to my kids. Thanks.

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Well since the 996 is a 4 seater, you have that covered. Is the GT500 a convertible? If so, thats what I would get, then you would have a nice rounded collection of fun drivers for any occasion.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Daily driver: GT500
1/4 Mile Car: GT500
Road coarse car: Z06
Keep stock: Z06

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Well since the 996 is a 4 seater, you have that covered. Is the GT500 a convertible? If so, thats what I would get, then you would have a nice rounded collection of fun drivers for any occasion.

Calling a 996 a four seater is a stretch:wink

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Calling a 996 a four seater is a stretch:wink

Heheh, true... But closer to a four seater than the Vette :biggrin

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
This is what I call a high class problem :)

I checked out a Z06 today with the nav sys. I consider myself a mustang guy and I'd say the Z06 is a no brainer over that fat ass shelby imho.

bb

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
This is what I call a high class problem :)

I checked out a Z06 today with the nav sys. I consider myself a mustang guy and I'd say the Z06 is a no brainer over that fat ass shelby imho.

bb
YOU CHECKED OUT THE NAV SYSTEM ON THE Z06???? YOU MIGHT BE ON THE WRONG FORUM:rofl

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
The GT500 is a coupe.
No, the TT is not a 4 seater anymore, my kids are 13 and 14.
The Z is 30k more, like the power, but not the looks that much.
Someone suggested to get the GT500 and mod it ???

What's Ford planning to keep up w/competition ? Anyone knows?
There's a pretty good market for hi performance cars out there...

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
I would choose (and did) The GT500

You will get twice the looks and twice the practicality. The Z06 is an awesome car but they are coming out with the blue devil shortly. At least you know the GT500 will be the GT500 for at least 3 years.

You can also put the wife and the kids in the GT500.

What I would really do is sell the 996TT and get them both...all American muscle!

Last edited:

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Got an '02 Z since the latest greatest bad boy on the block...bitchian cars but watch that C6 Z depreciate....then snatch one up from some old fart with almost no miles @ fractions off the sticker :cool

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
bb

ZO6 with a nav sys?? A most functional piece of equipment, kind of like a four slice toaster. And the Z06 will generate as much excitement on the street as Chevrolet's equally soul-less Impala. Mustang guy? Fat ass Shelby?? Wrong on both counts. My GT generates lots of excitement wherever I take it. My new Shelby Mustang and my old Shelby Cobra do the same. People love those cars and they draw crowds. My last Corvette generated NONE, ZIP, ZERO. It was a great handeling, hard accelerating four slice toaster.:thumbsdow It had no soul. I've probably done over 10,000 snaprolls in my aerobatic carreer. I have over 2000 aerobatic hours in Pitts, Extra, Sukkoi, Caps, and Edge aircraft. I have landed all of them at small airports all over the U.S. The monoplanes are like the Z06, faster handleing, higher G, faster, and soulless. The plane that is the most fun to fly is the one with history, the Pitts Special. It's also the one that generates the biggest buzz on the ramp. Everybody comes out to see it. If you want the best handleing street legal car, skip the fat ass Corvette with nav sys and get a Lotus. If you want something that makes you and everybody else smile every time you drive it, buy a Shelby....or a Pitts Special.:biggrin :thumbsup :banana

Chip

Attachments

• s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 240

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
YOU CHECKED OUT THE NAV SYSTEM ON THE Z06???? YOU MIGHT BE ON THE WRONG FORUM:rofl

Yeah, I know it sounds kinda soft, but with a few completely impractical 500 and 600hp cars in my garage, a factory ride with luggage space, 505hp, dry sump, near FGT performance, a reasonable price, warranty and even a computer that tells you what direction to get to the track looks great to me. Never thought I'd admit it, but damn, the car is still badass and light with all the options. Why not get the toys? As much as I'd like to be, you can't always be wide open through the apex . . .

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
ZO6 with a nav sys?? A most functional piece of equipment, kind of like a four slice toaster. And the Z06 will generate as much excitement on the street as Chevrolet's equally soul-less Impala. Mustang guy? Fat ass Shelby?? Wrong on both counts. My GT generates lots of excitement wherever I take it. My new Shelby Mustang and my old Shelby Cobra do the same. People love those cars and they draw crowds. My last Corvette generated NONE, ZIP, ZERO. It was a great handeling, hard accelerating four slice toaster.:thumbsdow It had no soul. I've probably done over 10,000 snaprolls in my aerobatic carreer. I have over 2000 aerobatic hours in Pitts, Extra, Sukkoi, Caps, and Edge aircraft. I have landed all of them at small airports all over the U.S. The monoplanes are like the Z06, faster handleing, higher G, faster, and soulless. The plane that is the most fun to fly is the one with history, the Pitts Special. It's also the one that generates the biggest buzz on the ramp. Everybody comes out to see it. If you want the best handleing street legal car, skip the fat ass Corvette with nav sys and get a Lotus. If you want something that makes you and everybody else smile every time you drive it, buy a Shelby....or a Pitts Special.:biggrin :thumbsup :banana

Chip

Yeah, OK, you're right and I'm wrong . . . I'm sure NOBODY appreciates a c6 Z06. Whatever you say. Yes, I'm a "mustang guy" with a well tracked 00R in the garage (my 2nd 00R), an 88 with 520 at the wheels, and a minor road racing career started in racing and winning in mustangs. I've owned enough mustangs to lose count. So, excuse me for pointing out the fact that the shelby is a heavy car that is no match for a Z51 let alone a Z06, that's all. I like the car, really, I do. I guess I like toasters too.

As a ford enthusiast, it's a shame that the best ford can do is kill SVT and supply an expensive 4,000lb car with a live axle that can't approach the PERFORMANCE of GM's efforts. If ford sold cars that were inspiring, they wouldn't be a broke future subsidiary of Nissan. Only a few of us are lucky enough to be able afford an FGT. Fortunately for ford, most buyers aren't worried about the road course or world class performance and the mustang sells well.

Oh, I'm a 6,000 hour ATP and aviation professional with a few snaprolls in my career too :biggrin So if we're going to draw the airplane analogy then we can both romanticize all day long but don't tell me that pilots don't appreciate a Sukhoi. It is a winner after all and isn't winning what gave the GT it's heritage? I agree, you have to love them, but how many world aerobatic championships have been won in a Pitts lately? :wink

cheers,

bruce

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Either car is a great choice. In the case of the Z06, a 2007 is a totally different car from the 2006 and earlier models. It is truly a race car with the amenities of a luxury car.

Sal Z

Spectator
Jun 26, 2006
No Brainer....

GT500...:thumbsdow

Z06 5year, 100,000 mile warranty..:thumbsup

Beat it to death... and Enjoy..

Last edited:

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Absolute no-brainer. The stock Z hangs right in there with our stock FGTs (yes I own/owned both). A stock GT500 is not even in the same league in any category (brakes, handling, ride, suspension, power). The GT500 is easy to mod, and you will have to to come close to stock Z's. If the two-seat thing bothers you then the choice is clear, but the Z can haul a lot of stuff in the back, so road trips are a dream (and 27 to 28mpg at 80mph can't be touched by any other performance car out there). As far as Z's not getting any looks - that was not my experience at all - those who know the subtle differences between the Z and the base C6 go out of their way to acknowledge the Z.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Z06 3100lbs, 50-50 weight distribution, drag coefficient .34, low cg, fantastic stock handling.

Shelby gt 4klbs, substantially nose heavy, drag coefficient .39, high cg, mediocre handling.

I guess it depends on what your looking for, a great sports car, or a heavy production vehicle with a legend's name on it.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Shelby gt 4klbs

FYI...I know someone who has weighed their Shelby with the stereo that has the heavier sub and a 3/4 full tank and it weighed 3850 on the scales. Ask anyone who owns one, it drives like a car that weighs much less.

You really have to quantify what you want the car for. One is a muscle car, one is a world class sports car. One costs 70, one costs 45. One has 4 seats, one has two. Personally, I had an order for a C6 Z for a long time intending to trade my C5 Z for one. I canceled it when they showed what it looked like.

My guess is that with a 996TT and FGT already, your choice will have less to do with which one fills up a stat sheet and more to do with which one you really want.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I have had 2 different Z06's, and I loved them, for about 2 months, both times. They get boring, and the build quality lacks. Yes, the C6Z performs great, but I have been down the Z06 road before, and probably will not go down it again. I never say never, but I doubt it.

Also, they are far from collector cars, so when you want to get rid of it, prepare for a low blow. I lost over $50K on my last Z with only 6K miles. That is enough to sour the taste!

The Shelby, it is nice, but it is still a mustang. My wife likes them, and I like the look, but I got into my moms mustang GT to back it out of our driveway, and I barely fit. It reminded me of those little old ladies that drive so close to the steering wheel that it looks like they are having a mammogram.:biggrin

With all that said, the next one I can see in my driveway is a Shelby, cuz my wife likes it and she said "NO MORE VETTES", and I always listen to my wife.:wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
With all that said, the next one I can see in my driveway is a Shelby, cuz my wife likes it and she said "NO MORE VETTES", and I always listen to my wife.:wink

We are carbon copies on that front. My soon-to-be wife keeps bugging me to buy a Shelby so she can secretly appropriate it for herself. She was never a fan of my Vettes, and was exceedingly happy I was displeased with the look of the C6 Z.