GT40S Web Site

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Anyone know of this web site? Any Forum members using it for information? Looks like the web site for the "other GT40s".

http://www.gt40s.com/

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
yep - been kicking around on it for ~ 2 yr's. Nielda and FB GT 40 also are there that I know of. Frank from Canada is a sponsor.

Great site for the GT 40's... I'm keeping an eye on the 917 kit coming out :eek

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I believe it is the big replicar and original GT40 site. I've surfed it once or twice over the years.

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Excellent site. A ton of great info and many hi-res pics of original parts from original GT40s for those seeking maximum accuracy in their replica builds. They also have a section for everyone's favorite modern interpretation of the classic. Very knowledgeable people over there. Highly recommended.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
917 kit??????

Info?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Good site!
I used to visit it waiting for my FGT... Well ran, lots of information.

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Great site. Been a member since 2003. My CAV car is there as well CAV Canada products/ works.

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Race Car Replicas make the 917 kit.

http://race-car-replicas.com/rcr917_photo_album.html

cobraownr

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2007
Annapolis, MD
First rate website. A few owners of original GT40s lurk and sometimes contribute, and there are a number of replica owners and super enthusiasts who know more about the specs and parts for the original cars than many owners of originals. Its a good group. They almost all have high praise and respect for the legend's worthy successor, the FGT. Some interesting non-GT40 topics too including original Lolas, 917 replicas, etc. GT40 historian and author Ronnie Spain is a member, but I don't think he has ever posted anything.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Member since '04. Nice people and a ton of info on replicas and originals but there not much into Ford GT's. I think Ron Earp is the Admin and have seen him cruising over here from time to time. I'm waiting to see how the MKIV kit turns out.:thumbsup

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'm also waiting to see what the Mk IV will look like. Talked to Fran Hall at RCR a few months ago but not much news over there about it recently. RCR did have small sponsor decals on the Robertson GT-R MK VII at Sebring. A replica of the Gurney/Foyt '67 LeMans winner would be nice.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Sombody showed up at Cs&C a couple weeks ago with a 917 replica that was just incredible. It had the paint scheme of the #23, red with white scallops. Very well done.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
We'll be meeting up with many of them who are on the Continent in July at Le Mans. The folks on the site were very helpful and welcoming.

J. Salmon

Mar 21, 2008
Lynchburg, VA
I am a regular over there that is now lurking over here getting my fix while Fran finishes up the bodywork on my RCR-40. I'll be one of the few in the little cars to share a tranny with your modern GTs. Just don't ask me what has to be done to make it fit... you won't like the answer :ack

You guys have more videos over here to keep me busy!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
They're a very nice bunch of people and very welcoming...

I let my membership (of the Club) lapse because it's predominantly designed for owners of replica GT40's rather than Ford GT owners.

I even wrote an article for their magazine:

"Like many readers, the blank spaces were never empty for too long. The back cover was also full. The front cover was equally defaced. I think I even made a ‘flip page cartoon’ in a geography text book, for which I was probably beaten. I could simply not stop drawing cartoons of the GT40 at school – jotters, maths books, even Agricultural Science text books would show cattle being mown down by angry GT40’s along with the occasional enigmatic phrase from a Steely Dan lyric.

‘That’ shape had always appealed, low, naughty looking, purposeful and yet graceful. Elegant and angry in equal measure – I doubt it has ever been bettered. I had to have one.

I heard through well placed sources that Ford were going to launch a recreation of the GT40 and that some lucky customers in Europe might be able to buy one. At the time my top toy was a Murcielago but I was deeply unhappy that I felt such a knob driving it – whilst it had the performance and, in truth was quite beautiful – I am not Rod Stewart, nor am I Puff Diddy MC Hammer. Getting out at petrol stations in Godalming became an exercise in bravado – it was simply too vulgar. The new Ford GT40 (as it was then called) had to be mine!

I was informed that I needed to demonstrate an association with the GT40 to secure my place on the list – easy I thought, a very distant relative discovered the vulcanisation process. Um, no, too distant. OK, I like cars and have some – hmm, not compelling enough. So after much chin rubbing I composed a decent enough letter to the powers that be at Michigan Avenue and found myself on the waiting list – only to be politely ignored/knocked off about 10 months later.

There was nothing else for it – build my own. What a complex process this seemed – daunting. I would need some oil, spanners, a couple of wheels, an engine, some rags, engine bits, light bulbs, a jack and some screwdrivers…. Forget it! Sold the Lamborghini and bought a Vanquish to quench my thirst for beauty in aluminium and tried to forget about the GT – I won’t see them on the roads, so it won’t irritate me. I let a couple of dealer friends know that ‘should you ever come across one’ I’d be interested. Fairly immediately I was offered one for the meagre price of £249,000 – I was tempted, but it was too much money for not enough car. Finally a year later, I heard of one that was coming into the UK from Las Vegas and that the buyer had dropped out. It was mine!

The waiting was awful – I sold the Vanquish as the S was just coming out and mine would soon be yesterday’s car and finally went with a pal (and a trailer as it was promising rain – come on, you can’t drive a BRAND NEW car like that in the rain) to pick it up. The sun shone and I drove it home – setting off in third gear as first is slightly spring-loaded and I assumed the spring was protecting reverse – eeek!

The GT is, to my eyes, an instant classic. Even my wife – who was sad to see the Vanquish go – said she thought that the GT evoked cars of the 60’s (d’uh yeah, that’s the whole point) ‘do you think so dear?’ I say rather meekly, fearful of the financial reciprocity that any purchase normally stimulates. I cling on to the fact that I bought Jane a brand new Subaru Forrester 9 months ago and assume she’s forgotten about the other Astons and my recent bad behaviour at the Bonham’s auction.

In terms of driving, it’s a straight line monster, just a tad under 600bhp (550 is a very conservative estimate from Ford) and armed 500 foot pounds of torque. I think it handles ‘OK’ - there’s a fair bit of suspension travel (compared to the 40’s and perhaps the Murcielago) – but the brakes are superb, which inspire confidence. The steering is neutral, more ‘pointable’ than anything else I’ve had – but it’s the linear power of the GT that always surprises, it’s like the hand of God pushing you forward. The fact that it sounds quite quiet, 98db at 4,000 rpm (according to the Fun Police at Goodwood) is the only thing that is irritating. Having stepped out of the Vanquish (for which I think the town of Petworth was deliberately designed to test the exhaust tone) and the wonderful roar it produced, the GT feels a bit muted somehow. I guess it’s a compromise and keeps the moaning minnies happy whilst they hug trees and knit yoghurt.

On the road it has instant respect – whilst a yellow Lamborghini wins an instant ‘tossss-eeerrrr!’ shouted as you drive by and an Aston gets a nod of subtle approval, the GT gets both thumbs and wild ferreting about for a camera. Having a GT in the rear mirror is disconcerting – they’re quite big (wider and lower than one might think) and rather menacing. Most traffic moves out of the way. To stay legal, there’s little point going beyond 3rd gear out of the 6 available. I have seen 195 ‘somethings’ on the clock (in a land, far, far away officer) and, unlike the Vanquish, the GT gets there rapidly. The 212mph top speed seems conservative, particularly as it’s achievable in 5th.

The GT40 Enthusiasts Club were a most welcoming bunch in Le Mans and I was very pleased to recently join the club. You’re a hospitable crowd.

There was a bit of discussion on the Forum recently about ‘would you swap your 40 for a new GT?’ Of course you wouldn’t. I didn’t create my car – I simply handed over an obscene amount of money and drove it out of a shop. The relationship is different. Would I swap my GT for a 40? Nope. But having seen the 40’s at Le Mans I’m tempted to have a 40 and a GT…… I may need to upgrade Jane’s car first…."

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Excellent article and post, thank you!

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Gt40

Neilda –

What a great article. I too share a passion for both. From an early influence in my teens hanging around race tracks in South Africa and meeting hero’s like David Piper, Peter Sutcliff, Paul Hawkins, David Hobbs, Mike Spence, John Love, Colin Crabbe. My Dad and girlfriend’s father, both worked for BP, who sponsored most of the drivers. So we got to be “pit brats” observing the lives of these swashbuckling salts and many of the F1 stars of the time. A fortunate upbringing for sure. A fun bunch they were in a relaxed, off-season holiday “on the house”. Amongst all the cars of the era – the GT40 just stood out. It was beautifully raw but with a charm and grace you could never quite put your finger on. The sounds and smells - I will never forget.

Like many, I left it too long to pursue an original, so have had to make do with a ‘recreation’ (CAV). A completely different car form the FGT that’s for sure. But driving the old style car gives one new respect for the old school drivers that muscled the brutes around at 200 mph speeds. Quite incredible.

Would I swap? No, I don't think so. The GT is just too special.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
Neil, thanks for sharing the post. Looking forward to our Le Mans run with you in July.