GT40 at MECUM auction

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I got an email from Mecum auction about 1966 Alan Mann Gt40 going up for sale.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_d..._medium=email&utm_campaign=SC0509_030609_GT40

I don't know if it will be on TV or not (Fri, 5/15 8:25PM), but thought someone might be interested...I have nothing to do with the auction. Looks like they have a Daytona Coupe (L242) and Cobra (L244) too.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think they will be selling one of the six original Daytona Coupes at this sale.... I expect to see huge money trade hands...

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Estimate(s) on the '40 Bony? $2Mil +?

I assume the sky is the limit on the Daytona Coupe.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
One of the magazine writers suggested the Daytona could go for well into the 8 figures, which I would assume is at least in the teens. :cheers

H

HHGT

Why sell in this economic climate? Are these cars immune from a market slump? Are all three owned by the same individual?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Why sell in this economic climate? Are these cars immune from a market slump? Are all three owned by the same individual?

If you thought the cat is out of the "bag" a few years ago on historic important cars... We joke on here about "Picasso's" and liken them to our cars... Well if you're wealthy and you're a man, then a useable piece of art like these cars is still one of the smartest places to put your money. You can use it and look at it, and it is "art", and it will always be worth big money, even in down economies. In the 90's, guys really didn't look at it quite this way, but now they do, and there will always be someone with big money in a recession that can pick these up, as he considers it a bargain just to be able get a chance to buy it. I personally don't think we will ever see truly important cars like this one downturn dramatically again like they did in the early 90's. And if you need to money, or the actual collector has passed, I don't think it makes that much difference anymore as to the timing, some difference, but not like it used to be.

Last edited:

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Better tune in before 8:00PM if the Daytona Coupe makes it on TV...

H

HHGT

???

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

I think the answer is yes, they will bring market price, these cars have amazing history. There where only 6 Daytona Coupes, Gentleman Tom's Cobra was a famous race car with great history.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I think the answer is yes, they will bring market price, these cars have amazing history. There where only 6 Daytona Coupes, Gentleman Tom's Cobra was a famous race car with great history.

Bingo. One of only six real "Picasso's" There are lots of folks that have been waiting for this car to come up for sale.

silver1331

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2008
Chicago, IL

would be interesting to see if all 3 are owned by the same person. I would imagine more of a forced sale - after all over $50 trillion has been lost in the last year alone!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
They are not, and all have substantial reserves. Based on Scottsdale prices the market for quality cars is very solid.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
bony,

How much cash to you have on hand? If we go in together and it stays with me in LA is this a good deal for you?

your genuine good olde pal Doc :cheers

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL

I think this auction will be televised on DiscoveryHD channel. I'm hoping the coverage is centered around the Daytona coupe. The car before the coupe is scheduled for 7:55 PM, but auctions might not run to an accurate schedule. I'd hate to miss it by tuning in at 8:01... Of course it will be re-run a few times if I miss it live.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
http://www.rmauctions.com/FeatureCars.cfm?SaleCode=AM09&CarID=r188&fc=0

1963 Le Mans Cobra (roadster w/ hardtop) - this weekend

cobraownr

GT Owner
Jul 16, 2007
Annapolis, MD
Estimate(s) on the '40 Bony? $2Mil +?

I assume the sky is the limit on the Daytona Coupe.

AM2, the ex-Paul Hawkins GT40 that was owned by the late Jack Launtz, was offered in the $3 million range after Jack unexpectedly passed away. This is a very historic car with huge race history. Jack's 427 Comp Cobra, CSX3020, one of three cars with a dry sump motor, was offered at $1.75 million. There were no takers after a good number of months. I believe both cars were bought recently by a dealer as a package and now consigned to Mecom.

An original Daytona Coupe was recently offered quietly at $15 million and didn't change hands. One sold for $8 million a good few years ago. Another might have gone for $12, but I am not sure about that.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Someone recently paid 28 million for a chair!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/24/chair-bought-for-28-milli_n_169600.html

28 million for a chair in todays economy.........these cars may be worth a billion a piece!

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
Daytona Coupe on Good Morning America. they estimate $10-12 million!

http://editor.ne16.com/he/vo.aspx?F...7f535605b387&MemberID=86650673&MailID=9087375