Gt3 or ford gt?

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Okay here is the scenario. Willow springs september 9th.

My friend bought a porsche gt3 and he loves it. The gt3 has 5 point racing harness, racing tires, roll cage and its cambered for the race track.

My Ford gt has a borla exhaust, long tube racing headers and is lowered one inch in the front and3/4 in the back. The only reason I lowered the car, was because he was talking a lot of smack:ack, saying that he would smoke me at willow springs.:thumbsdow

I am a pretty good driver and so is he. The GT has a lot of power but the big track at willow springs doesn't have a huge straight away. If the gt had racing tires i wouldn't even break a sweat and still pull away. My question is do you guys think that the GT can keep up with a race ready gt3 at willow springs?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
It typically comes down to the driver.

Something more objective - His car is a dime a dozen on the street and he is talking smack because he's jealous. Your call is the definition of 'COOL'.

You have a smile on your face no matter what!

BTW - you car sounds awesome....does his? I know it doesn't :thumbsup

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Going to be a close race. Your use of driver applied traction control will decide the race. The GT is better on the track than I ever expected (even with the good years).....

Best part of the day, having fun!

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
The porsche gt3 is a POWERFUL CAR about 400 hp. Also it's 400 lbs lighter.
With 9 turns at Willow springs .......................................

well.........................................................................

My money's on you Kave.:biggrin

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
I would put money on the GT3. Race tires make a huge difference.

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
It typically comes down to the driver.

Something more objective - His car is a dime a dozen on the street and he is talking smack because he's jealous. Your call is the definition of 'COOL'.

You have a smile on your face no matter what!

BTW - you car sounds awesome....does his? I know it doesn't :thumbsup

It is a friendly kind of smack talk, nothing serious of course.:cheers And the sound of the car, ohhhhh WOW. Of course everyone loves the three foot flames that come out of the exhaust.:banana

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
Going to be a close race. Your use of driver applied traction control will decide the race. The GT is better on the track than I ever expected (even with the good years).....

Best part of the day, having fun!

I can handle anything, I am just worried about the brakes. How do they hold up, from 170 to 90 turn one? Any brake fade or overheating?

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
south FL
Don't sweat it. Have a fun and safe time.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I can handle anything, I am just worried about the brakes. How do they hold up, from 170 to 90 turn one? Any brake fade or overheating?

I did a 165 to 0 hard brake (standing on them) on the street just to see how quickly the brakes start to fade.... I could tell they were losing effectiveness around 40-50. They will get hot but they cooled rdown really fast too. You won’t be on them like that but you need to know how the car acts before you start drafting your buddy or vice versa.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
You should level the field with some Hoosier R6 Tires. Find some posts by Ed Sims. He Tracks his car a lot. He runs Stock brakes, Whipple, Hoosiers & Penski shocks. He says the stock brakes hold up well...
Also for what it's worth Car and Drive Mag is using VIR as it's bench mark track for testing The GT was last years record holder at 3:00.7 They just tested this years group. The 2008 ZO6 just set the new bench mark at 2:58.2 The Porsche 911 GT3 best was 3:01.8 which is slower that last years test of the GT. See Aug 2008 issue for details.

It should be a close match.. have fun!! I'd snag some Hoosiers fom the Tire rack and Show the GT3 that lovely rear end !! :biggrin

Last edited:

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas

Willow Springs is actually very easy on brakes. You don't use them much. Entering turns 1, 3, 5 and 9. I would definitely run the Hoosiers.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
have you ever driven a car on willow springs BIG track? if so, what kind of car and what were your lap times? same goes for your friend. with that said race him in the winter time when your blower will experience less heat soak. so how many laps are you guys racing?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Don't try and catch a competent car on race tires with the hard as a rock Goodyears...

One thing that you should know, if the car starts to get too hot (which it will), using 3rd instead of 2nd will significantly lower the temps.

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
You'll have a hard time unless you put on some Hoosier R6 tires. The goodyear F1's are the weak link on the track. With the Hoosiers you will have a very good shot. I also recomend replacing your brake fluid with Castrol SRF, installing some street / track brake pads and adding the transaxle cooler.

Have fun!!

Last edited:

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I just had the Hoosiers installed last week. Aside from the Whipple, the Hoosiers have made the biggest difference in performance. In fact, without them, the Whipple is almost wasted power in my opinion. Now the car hooks up like it should. It feels like you're driving a car literally planted in the road with monumental grip. Those tires with 800HP on tap in this chassis design is heaven. I also felt the steering input improve. Just when I thought I was driving the best handling, performing car I have ever owned (Diablo 6.0, 360CS, Porsche Turbo, on and on...), it got way way better!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I think the circuit is going to play a part in this particular contest.

I've raced against a 1973 911 lightweight around a small track and had some real difficulties in the turns keeping up. Eat him on the straights though :biggrin

My money's on the GT3 it's more suited to track work.

Prove me wrong - but do be careful, I think the GT is a hard car to catch if it goes at speed.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Pilots PS2 work well for me

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
I been tracking cars and racing since I was eighteen, and I have been to Willow many times, I can't wait to get out there with the ford gt.

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Bony, There are Michelin Pilot PS2's that fit a Ford GT???

Do tell...

John B

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Bony now has aftermarket wheels 20" rear and 19" fronts. I don't know of any ps2 that fit stock size rims.