GT vs Viper

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
Hello,
New to this board. Have been looking at getting an 05 GT. Previously I had a 97 Viper GTS, then a 04 Viper SRT-10.

What I'd like to know is those that may have had both at one time, how do you compare them.
I drove an 05 GT today, but it seemed noticeably soft. That said, I recently traded the 04 SRT-10 & got an 04 Murcielago & it has a bit soft ride as well. The Vipers have a rough ride but it feels very nimble, the Murci is softer but is still very tight. The GT seemed much less nimble than any of the others I have had.
Is this normal or might the tires have been low on air.
If this is normal, does anyone do anything to improve it (tires or tires & wheels, lowering, is there a suspension switch for sport mode, etc, etc...???)

My goal is to keep the Murci, get an 05 GT & an 06 Viper coupe.

Thanks for any help!!!

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
supercharged 04 viper, in your face type driving. 05 ford gt sneaks up on you.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Hello,
New to this board. Have been looking at getting an 05 GT. Previously I had a 97 Viper GTS, then a 04 Viper SRT-10.

What I'd like to know is those that may have had both at one time, how do you compare them.
I drove an 05 GT today, but it seemed noticeably soft. That said, I recently traded the 04 SRT-10 & got an 04 Murcielago & it has a bit soft ride as well. The Vipers have a rough ride but it feels very nimble, the Murci is softer but is still very tight. The GT seemed much less nimble than any of the others I have had.
If this is normal, does anyone do anything to improve it (tires or tires & wheels, lowering, is there a suspension switch for sport mode, etc, etc...???)

Thanks for any help!!!

My 06 GT has a smoother ride than my 06 SRT-10 Vert, Probably because the Viper is much less refined than the GT. The interesting part is that the GT will beat a Viper in all speed contests including a road course(It will beat your Murci too). I think all cars take some getting use to, just like the Viper and GT have different clutches and shifters. There are many Mods available for the GT if you do a search you can find them.

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Would love to see a pic of your previous Viper and current Murci!!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I was very surprised at how soft and comfortable the suspension on the Ford GT was the first few times I drove it. I feared the compliant suspension might not perform as well as expected.

However, the chassis is very stiff, and the car should definitely do what you want it to do on the street. It's probably not until track work that some people would need to change it.

The compliance is a plus, as the car remains impressively capable. Of course, I have not had a Viper for comparison, but have had other sports cars with modified suspensions.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I totally agree with Syco. The Gt is set up for the street. I must say that I am still impressed at how well sorted and refined it is.

I am planning on taking mine to the track next month... I think that it will be fine for the occasional DE, but will need some upgraded springs and shocks if you are thinking of serious track work.

Did your Viper have stock suspensions?

The Murci is even more street oriented than the GT. Although it is not much bigger (I think it is just 4-5 inches wider) it is still 3oo lbs heavier than a GT.
It might seem little but you definetly feel them even on street driving.

I think the GT would definetly complete you line up nicely.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Must have been viper fever.

Have had a few vipers with every set up.The gt makes you part of the car.
You can drive it all day and love it.Where the vipers are working on you the whole time.Both my gts have lots of mods,I will be getting a 08 viper.

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
Would love to see a pic of your previous Viper and current Murci!!

Here is the Murci. Looks like I'll have to do another post to include the Viper. The system says the second pic exceeds my quota (hmmmm).

Last edited:

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
......Did your Viper have stock suspensions?
The Vipers have had stock suspensions, both were very stiff.

The Murci is even more street oriented than the GT. Although it is not much bigger (I think it is just 4-5 inches wider) it is still 3oo lbs heavier than a GT.
It might seem little but you definetly feel them even on street driving.
I agree for the most part, after driving the GT, the Murci still feels like the GT was even softer, but the torque of the GT was much more. I guess I expected the GT to be tighter like the Viper for some reason.

I think the GT would definetly complete you line up nicely.
This what I'm hoping too!
I will have another chance to drive on in the next few days, so I'll have a second chance to decide.

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
.......I feared the compliant suspension might not perform as well as expected.

This is exactly what I thought when I drove it.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
The Ford GT is softer than our Porsche Cayenne S.

It's luxurious in ride quality. But it does handle quite well. Just takes getting used to.

BJ Motor

*Supporting Vendor*
Jan 15, 2007
Manakin Sabot, Virginia
I have to chime in as I am a new owner and also a Viper dealer. The car is amazing and I could drive it for hours. I bought with the intention of selling but after driving the car I am in heaven. The car is smooth the only thing that has me a little concerned is the blind spot of the cars next you, but that usually isn't an issue when I put my foot into the gas I know nothing is besdie me. I also have a 750 supercharged GTS here and still the GT is an awesome peice. Summer is going to be fun. I have order the pulley and software just in case I need the extra 100 hp. You will be very happy if you decide to go with one. I actually have several cars I am looking or have spoken with people about purchasing for resale. Good Luck in your decision.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Have had a few vipers with every set up.The gt makes you part of the car.
You can drive it all day and love it.Where the vipers are working on you the whole time.Both my gts have lots of mods,I will be getting a 08 viper.

Exactly!

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Do you have a photo of your Murci at your home in your garage? I love that color...

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
That is the art of tuning suspensions. The gt has little if any body role. It can soak up the imperfections while maintaining great contact on the pavement and providing great feed back. A "soft" ride is a very simple term but not descriptive as to how well the suspension works or performs. When suspensions were less complex 20 years ago it meant it was a luxury not a sport type ride. Now a soft ride may simply mean the ability to soak up bumps preventing the vehicle from being upset during aggressive driving. Now springs can have progressive compression ratios. Rebounds can be adjusted. One can change the camber and toe-in. Part of the greatness of the GT is the suspension. Simply put it is brilliant. Much effort and time went into tuning the suspension with the help of experts such as Rousche and Lotus. I don't think they were recruited for their expertise in "soft" suspensions. A great suspension can make you feel like a soft ride but outperform the most "tightly" sprung cars. Don't let that feeling fool you. Porsche is another brilliant suspension tuner. They have taken a less than perfectly balanced car and through suspension and staggering tire sizes tamed the beast.

Omega_man

GT Owner 2005 #248
Mar 19, 2007
S. Florida
Thanks for all the input from everyone here!!!! I really appreciate it. So I guess I need not worry about the ride (which is actually nice) & not compare it so much to the Viper which is very stiff to start with.

Thanks!!!!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Hello,

Thanks for any help!!!

I currently own two GT's a 2006 Viper Coupe (FE), a Lamborghini Gallardo, a Ferrari 360, and several other cars including a race prepped Porsche GT3. I have to say that none of the cars are "soft", they ALL differ quite a bit in terms of damping and spring rates. For example I find that the Viper feels over sprung and over damped, while the GT feels "softer" due to the fact that it seems a bit over damped and undersprung. The 360 feels much more "connected" to the road compared to the Gallardo (which feels much softer to me than the 360). I also just purchased a Shelby GT500 and own a Saleen s281 Extreme. The Shelby feels very soft compared to the well damped and sprung Saleen. I definitely plan to change the dampers and springs on the Shelby, as it feels like I'm riding on a big pillow. In every case, whether on the track or street, what I always look for is a balance in the spring and damping rates (both rebound and compression).

Back to your specific question about the FGT. After running Ferrari 360 Challenge cars on the track and owning a street 360, I was very interested in comparing the FGT to the 360, as the Ford engineers used the 360 as the benchmark for the GT development. After my first few miles in my 2005 GT, I instantly saw some similarities, but did not feel as "connected" to the road as the 360. It felt "heavy" in comparison, but could not say it was soft, just different. Again, adjustments in damping rates (rebound and compression) alone could radically change the nature of the GT, as would other chassis set-up adjustments such as camber and toe alignment. Another significant factor that we have learned on the racetrack is actually driven not by the tires, springs or dampers, but... believe it or not, the seat. I'm not kidding, my Viper for example on paper has much higher spring rates per pound than my Lambo. However, the soft, cushy seats insulate the driver and change the perception of the ride quality significantly compared to the more firm and supportive seat of the Lambo. In short, there are many factors, all of which need to be addressed, understood and adjusted to suit the tastes of each driver and the requirements of the track or street mission that each car is intended to fulfill.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I currently own two GT's a 2006 Viper Coupe (FE), a Lamborghini Gallardo, a Ferrari 360, and several other cars including a race prepped Porsche GT3. I have to say that none of the cars are "soft", they ALL differ quite a bit in terms of damping and spring rates. For example I find that the Viper feels over sprung and over damped, while the GT feels "softer" due to the fact that it seems a bit over damped and undersprung. The 360 feels much more "connected" to the road compared to the Gallardo (which feels much softer to me than the 360). I also just purchased a Shelby GT500 and own a Saleen s281 Extreme. The Shelby feels very soft compared to the well damped and sprung Saleen. I definitely plan to change the dampers and springs on the Shelby, as it feels like I'm riding on a big pillow. In every case, whether on the track or street, what I always look for is a balance in the spring and damping rates (both rebound and compression).

Back to your specific question about the FGT. After running Ferrari 360 Challenge cars on the track and owning a street 360, I was very interested in comparing the FGT to the 360, as the Ford engineers used the 360 as the benchmark for the GT development. After my first few miles in my 2005 GT, I instantly saw some similarities, but did not feel as "connected" to the road as the 360. It felt "heavy" in comparison, but could not say it was soft, just different. Again, adjustments in damping rates (rebound and compression) alone could radically change the nature of the GT, as would other chassis set-up adjustments such as camber and toe alignment. Another significant factor that we have learned on the racetrack is actually driven not by the tires, springs or dampers, but... believe it or not, the seat. I'm not kidding, my Viper for example on paper has much higher spring rates per pound than my Lambo. However, the soft, cushy seats insulate the driver and change the perception of the ride quality significantly compared to the more firm and supportive seat of the Lambo. In short, there are many factors, all of which need to be addressed, understood and adjusted to suit the tastes of each driver and the requirements of the track or street mission that each car is intended to fulfill.

Holy crap, he just schooled me. Good info... when is the test?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Tim Cantwell wins. :thumbsup