GT steady, Corvette follows grooves

leon

GT Owner
May 29, 2006
Hilton Head Island, SC
Why does my 2004 vette conv. follow the grooves in the road causing me to constantly fight the steering wheel. The steering in a vette is heavy and fighting the wheel is very annoying. My GT does not do this and tracks perfectly. Goodyear dealer blames the design of the vette. Anyone know the real reason?

Leon
Hilton Head Island, SC::usa

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
One of them is a Ford.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Corvette follows the path - GT leads :thumbsup

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Could be the run flats.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Sounds like an alignment issue. Is it a Z06?

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
not enough toe-in, increase by .065" and try again...

mardyn

lamboman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 14, 2006
Atlanta area
Sounds like an alignment issue. Is it a Z06?

It's a vert.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
wider front wheels and tires on the vette is what causes this. i put 18X11's on the front of my viper with 315 wide tires and it tracks ruts on the street BIG time. the wider you go the more tracking you will get on any car.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
wider front wheels and tires on the vette is what causes this. i put 18X11's on the front of my viper with 315 wide tires and it tracks ruts on the street BIG time. the wider you go the more tracking you will get on any car.

So the GT's front tires arn't considered "wide?"

M

Mark O

Maybe the problem lies witht the nut that holds the wheel. :biggrin

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
The lower the profile tires, the more the tendency to pick up grooves in the road.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

+1

My experience as well.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Got an '02 ZO6...could be the traction control unit doing the balancing act. Try your act with everything off.

Dunno, I have no gripes, she kicks arse...reluctant to turn TC off to keep it straight. I notice some "posession" on slight arc with Freeway grooves with TC on. The Z has 3 settings dunno what yah got. :cheers

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
My 2 old vettes never tracked like that. My new Viper on the other hand tracks everything in the road and I have to always have 2 hands on the wheel. From my understanding, it has to do with the tires themselves. Certain tread patterns cause this. My old 996TT would track more often when I had S03's on the car. Other tires did not track.

leon

GT Owner
May 29, 2006
Hilton Head Island, SC
This is a 2004 corvette convertible, no ZO6. Changed original run flats (done to improve ride quality) to a same size set of Avons which are much quieter and more comfortable. Still, it loves to follow the grooves.

leon

GT Owner
May 29, 2006
Hilton Head Island, SC
My nuts are nice and tight!

LEON

spud

Jul 11, 2006
It's probably the tires. On my old M5, the Michelin MXX2 tires tramlined like crazy. Whe they got down to the wear bars, I replaced them with Michelin MXX3, and the tramlining disappeared. I think the MXX3 has a stiffer and more stable carcass than the MXX2, so maybe you are feeling the same sort of thing.