GT Race Inspection Question

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
I have a chance to race the GT at a track in September with a German car club. I assume there will be a safety check. I would guess they would check for tire pressure and steering slop. Any thing else? I am concerned about how they should conduct the inspection and how the car is lifted for those inspections. Any advice from those that have done pre race inspections so not to damange the car?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
There's always some variation/inspector discretion. Request a checklist and inquire as to how the inspection is actually performed. Ask if you can assist (i.e lift the car, pull the wheel, etc.) with the inspection and be well prepared to do so. Most newer cars (like the GT) are not subject to the same level of scrutiny as older stuff, especially pure track cars. Have fun and apply the power judiciously.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
It all depends upon insurance regulations for the club and track being used.

Many events in the USA require the owner to sign a waiver that they have personally inspected various elements and changed the brake fluid within the past month. That way the responsibility is with the owner and not the sponsoring club.

Again in the USA typically tech inspection includes a check to see if brake lights are working, if wheels are loose (no check of torque levels), battery is tied down, no obvious leaks, all extraneous items have been removed from the vehicle (including trunk), steering seems okay with not sloppiness, no cracks in windshield, and side windows are operable.

Dave

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
car safety inspection

All the CA open tracks I have attended rely on self inspection & a signed waiver. I believe if they conduct the inspection they assume partial responsibility for your car's safety; whereas, if you do the inspection you assume the responsibilty.

What do you say Syco GT?

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
All the CA open tracks I have attended rely on self inspection & a signed waiver. I believe if they conduct the inspection they assume partial responsibility for your car's safety; whereas, if you do the inspection you assume the responsibilty.

What do you say Syco GT?

Ed

Ed, that sound correct. I haven't been to the track for some time. The last time I did you had to bring your car to a shop to have it inspected. If while on the track an inspected part failed, the shop and, or the event organizers can be held libel. But I am not trained in legal matters and this is just a guess and not a legal opinion.

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
I will check with the club and get a check list thanks, I know think there lift points for picking up the car with a jack. Do I need to get those round plastic pucks I have seen advertized to lift the caror will a block of wood work?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I will check with the club and get a check list thanks, I know think there lift points for picking up the car with a jack. Do I need to get those round plastic pucks I have seen advertized to lift the caror will a block of wood work?

I have used a block of wood on the lift points without a problem.

FWIW, I have never had to pull a wheel during a tech inspection.