GT Lowered with Wheels

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
Lowered 1in in the front and 1/2 in the back. Put 600 miles on since i got it lowered. Taking it back next week to get 1/4 in more in the front. I had them to a track set up so the handling is much much tighter.

dsc01716cc3.jpg

dsc01717vl6.jpg

dsc01718ab1.jpg

dsc01739xm7.jpg

dsc01738wn5.jpg

dsc01741fb0.jpg

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Nice Dave. I should have my Coilovers in a few days.
It looks good now, but I see you think like me. I will also go a little lower than that, but that is a whole lot better than stock! :thumbsup

SkyMan

GT Owner
Nov 18, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Nicest setup I've seen so far. :thumbsup

What wheels are you running?

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Very nice job! Dramatic improvement in looks over stock, and it's got to ride much more planted. Did you use MR2Race's lowering kit, or did you replace the entire set up with new adjustable coilovers and shocks?

prmoldoaks

GT Owner
Jul 31, 2006
Yea very nice.

Ditto about the wheels, where did you get thouse, did you need new tyres as well?

Also where you get thouse stickers on the break callipers?

Thanks

Patrick

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Nice

Nice aggressive look.

bigdan40

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2006
Dave and Rocman, How much would you guys say the ride has been compromised since lowering the car and changing the wheel size on your GT's I see Roc lives in Cali where I'm sure the road surfaces are a helluva lot smoother then here in the land of the pothole northeast. I would have to think the ride is substantially more rigid then stock although the look is really nice! I'm considering doing the same but I don't want to give up too much ride comfort. Thanks in advance...Dan

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
The main difference is that you can feel more contact with the road through the steering wheel. The ride is just a tad more bumpy and harsh, but well worth it. Do you remember when you first drove the car and said to yourself "wow, this car drives more smooth than I thought", well now it drives closer to what you thought it would drive, but still smooth.

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
ROCMAN said:
Do you remember when you first drove the car and said to yourself "wow, this car drives more smooth than I thought", well now it drives closer to what you thought it would drive, but still smooth.

:lol

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
Did you change the shocks or the spring rates?
If not, while the looks may be improved, your handling may have worsened with the mod. In effect you took 1" of travel out of the shocks, and depending on how Dynamic Suspension valved them, your car may be worse off. Normally, in order to properly lower the car and get the same or improved handling requires new spring rates and shock valving to compensate. If you don't believe me, why do you think many cars are tested after being lowered and end up handling worse than stock?
Just my $.02

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I have my coilover set on the way. It uses stock springs and shocks, so that should not be an issue. The springs are not cut or heated. Having the springs preloaded may have an adverse affect, but if that is the case, I will go to a complete coilover replacement.
It really should not have much of a difference since aftermarket coilover sets do that same thing with aftermarket springs. You can adjust that height as well, and have the same preloaded issues. Real world testing will be the key.
I think the car will drive too soft with the stock setup, so I may end up going with an aftermarket setup.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
ROCMAN said:
I think the car will drive too soft with the stock setup, so I may end up going with an aftermarket setup.

I agree and I also feel that with the heavier 20"/22" wheels you for sure need firmer suspension to keep the wheel "under control". I'm very happy with my stiff Öhlins ride...

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
SkyMan said:
Nicest setup I've seen so far. :thumbsup

What wheels are you running?

Sorry been out of town. They are from www.iforged.com. Custom made, takes about 8 weeks in all to get them.

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
Gulf GT said:
Very nice job! Dramatic improvement in looks over stock, and it's got to ride much more planted. Did you use MR2Race's lowering kit, or did you replace the entire set up with new adjustable coilovers and shocks?

I used MR2race lowering kit. Worked out very well.

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
prmoldoaks said:
Yea very nice.

Ditto about the wheels, where did you get thouse, did you need new tyres as well?

Also where you get thouse stickers on the break callipers?

Thanks

Patrick

Yes those are 20in in the front and 22in in the back. So new tires is a must. I had the stickers made to the same spec as the FORD GT logo and put them on myself.

davefordgt

GT Owner
Feb 10, 2006
bigdan40 said:
Dave and Rocman, How much would you guys say the ride has been compromised since lowering the car and changing the wheel size on your GT's I see Roc lives in Cali where I'm sure the road surfaces are a helluva lot smoother then here in the land of the pothole northeast. I would have to think the ride is substantially more rigid then stock although the look is really nice! I'm considering doing the same but I don't want to give up too much ride comfort. Thanks in advance...Dan

I think i like the rider better with the new wheels. Much more feed back of the road and the steering feels tighter. The bumps hit a little harder, but small price to pay for the look i wanted.

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
davefordgt said:
Lowered 1in in the front and 1/2 in the back. Put 600 miles on since i got it lowered. Taking it back next week to get 1/4 in more in the front. I had them to a track set up so the handling is much much tighter.

dsc01716cc3.jpg

dsc01717vl6.jpg

dsc01718ab1.jpg

dsc01739xm7.jpg

dsc01738wn5.jpg

dsc01741fb0.jpg
Mine is white/blue but I rally wanted Ford Blue with white---yours looks great. Where did you get the FORD GT brake caliper stickers. Thanks

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
You car looks Great !! What are the weight of the new wheels and tires compared to the stock BBS Light weight wheels ?

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
davefordgt said:
Yes those are 20in in the front and 22in in the back. So new tires is a must. I had the stickers made to the same spec as the FORD GT logo and put them on myself.
unfortunately the stickers will burn and melt off on the first trackday or 200to 50 braking.. :confused ..or are they from teflon -?

loook greeaat though :thumbsup

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Did you notice that on the front you mounted the caliper logo so it reads from the center of the wheel, but on the rear it's quite the opposite..

:skep
:wink
:biggrin

davefordgt said: