GT Getaway Weekend 2 - PHOTOS - page 5&6

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Arizona GT Getaway 2 - Day 2 ( Part 2)

We took a break at the Oatman Hotel for beers and snacks. The walls of the bar and dining room of the hotel are covered with dollar bills - they estimate there is mor than $90,000 on these walls -

Royce & Charlie at the bar -
Dining room -
Our bartender - hmmmm!
They also sell ice cream at the front of the hotel - here's a cutie licking one!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Arizona GT Getaway 2 - Day 2 ( Part 3)

Well, we made it about 20 miles south of Oatman - almost to I-40 when another valve stem on the Shelby failed. The 1st time it was the right rear - now it was the right front! We got it parked at a convenience store & called AAA. Of course, they sent one from Lake Havasu City, AZ (35 miles away) instead of Needles, CA (7 miles away). Probably have to stay in the same state? While we were waiting, Mary Jo decided to start heading home, as she needed to get home to Colorado that night. However, the ramp on the tow bed was too steep to load the Shelby without tearing the splitter completely off, so we sent him back and left the car at the convenience store. Charlie and Royce climbed in with Rich and Evie, and we continued on to Lake Havasu City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Havasu_City,_Arizona). There, we stopped at the London Bridge, walked down to the channel where Charlie jumped in - see Renea's photos above.
Charlie, surveying his jump -
We then went over to the other side of the bridge and wandered around London Bridge Beach, then went to dinner at Barley Brothers Restaurant and Brewery (Royce, Charlie, Evie, Rich, Renea, Chip) -
The sun was setting, as seen from our table, so we returned to the cars, driving back to Kingman for the night -

I just want to thank Rich for putting together a great Ford GT weekend. In spite of the minor disruptions to the program, he made it very enjoyable to all of us. I look forward to "Arizona GT Getaway 3" next year!

:thumbsup :thumbsup

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was going to ask about the picture in Chip's set about the flat on the Shelby GT, but it sounds like maybe two failed? I've never heard about any kind of failure like that. Valve stems on the SGT era cars aren't part of the TPMS - there is a band around the wheel.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
As Ralphie mentioned, I drove from Grand Junction down to the South Rim to get in a little rim to rim power hike in the morning before meeting up with Ralphie to finish the drive down to Kingman. This was Chip's fault as I had the bug ever since he posted of his trip to Phantom Ranch with Renea. :biggrin

The Grand Canyon hike was beautiful. If you haven't been to the bottom, I highly recommend it!! This is a picture of the South Rim just before sunset the night before the hike.

G1.jpg

I started the hike at 3 AM, thinking it would be really difficult and take all day. I also wanted to miss the triple digit temperatures down in the inner gorge of the canyon... The first 8 miles were done in the dark jogging down the South Kaibab trail toward Phantom Ranch. I couldn't see the dropoffs in the dark, or the river at the bottom, but I could hear the roar of the water beneath me as I crossed over the CO River.

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

There were curious mule deer walking right up to sniff at me and bats filling the night sky. It was beautiful even in the dark. By 5 AM I was relaxing by the creek at Phantom Ranch as the sun started to rise along with several sleepy hikers.

During the next 6 miles, the trail followed the gentle curve of a small creek with only mild elevation gains. The best parts were the tall black walls of rock close to the trail on both sides. I took a few dips in the creek to stay cool. Even though the sun had just poked its head over the canyon walls, it was still fairly hot down there. Until the end of this section ("the wall"), I was alone on the trail for the most part. It was very peaceful and oddly quiet compared to what I read about opening weekend.

g4.jpg

g5.jpg

-MJ

Last edited:

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Once I exited the wall, the canyon opened up and was surprisingly green! Due to the low rainfall, Ribbon Falls was little more than a dribble of water coming down over the moss covered rock, but was still one of the canyon's treasures.

h1.jpg

h2.jpg

h3.jpg

h4.jpg

h5.jpg

-MJ

Last edited:

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
After a few more miles, I hiked up to Cottonwood campground and met a few crazy (and nice looking) trail runners who were doing the rim-to-rim-to-rim!! For the rest of the hike, they would pass me and then I'd catch up when they were taking a break. So much fun to make friends at the bottom of the Grand Canyon!! :lol

h7.jpg

This is Roaring Springs. You could hike down 400' to get a closer look, but with a few thousand feet of elevation to still hike up, I opted to just enjoy the view from the trail.

r1.jpg

You can see how the trail was created by cutting into the rock on the side of the cliff. It looks scarier in the photo than it really was.

r3.jpg

About 2000' from the top I saw a helicopter carrying tourists. Thought it was "search and rescue" at first!

r4.jpg

Here is a nice view looking back from the trail on the hike up. The bridge I had "just" crossed looks tiny!

r5.jpg

-MJ

Last edited:

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
I finally made it to the last water stop by the Supai Tunnel, 1400' and 2 miles from the top. I wondered if Ralphie was up there somewhere...

s1.jpg

This is a view from the Coconino Overlook. Only 400' left! (I had just dumped a liter of water over my head 10 minutes ago and it was already dry :lol)

s2.jpg

I met those trail runners at the top, and after talking with them for a bit, I realized I didn't have cell service and was 3 hours early. This is the last picture I took before continuing on along the road to the Visitor Center to find Ralphie.

s3.jpg

The hike was not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be, and I was done at 11 AM - just in time for lunch. I was tired, but also feeling great and couldn't wait to see my favorite red GT and surprise Ralphie as I was done 3 hours earlier than expected!! What a beautiful sight I came upon in the parking lot at the Visitor Center! :biggrin

s4.jpg

-MJ

Last edited:

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Ralphie and I stopped by Navajo Bridge on the way to dropping me off at the South Rim to pick up my car. He was having a lot of fun trying out his new camera. :biggrin

y1.jpg

One last picture at sunset of the south rim. Ralphie went on to Williams and I stayed behind for a few hours at the South Kaibab trailhead hoping to see Mark and the other guys come up from their rim to rim to rim run and congratulate them. I was either there too early or too late, but after 2 hours and very little sleep over the past 2 days, I left and headed to Ralphie's motel. :eek

y2.jpg

In the morning, I followed Ralphie and Barrie (Flagstaff GT) to Kingman, dropped off my car in the hotel's parking lot, and that was the last I saw of my keys... :frown

y3.jpg

The cars at the distillery made a nice photo.

y4.jpg

And here is Renea in action taking one of her many wonderful photos of our getaway cruise.

y5.jpg

-MJ

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Ralphie made a new friend!!

z1.jpg

Chip and Rich swap vehicles for part of the cruise...

z2.jpg

We had fun following Barry until he kicked up a stone that found Ralphie's windshield.

z3.jpg

But as usual, that didn't dampen Ralphie's spirits!

z4.jpg

At the Valle Vista Country Club for a nice lunch.

z5.jpg

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
That was Renae's friend!

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Ralphie is planning where he and his GT will go now that he has a passport.

a1.jpg

What a great day to have a birthday!

a2.jpg

Who's that in my rear view?

a3.jpg

Who knew you could rent a room a few hundred feet underground in a dark cave?

a4.jpg

I bet that cute couple in pink knew! (Hey Chip, I love how you color coordinated your shirt to match Renea's purse.)

a5.jpg

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
b1.jpg

At a car show off Route 66. The GTs were a hit!

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

What is it with guys and engines? :lol

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
At least the Shelby was in good company (and had Rich present w/his tools and spare) when the tire went.

c3.jpg

Ralphie and MJ at the car show on Route 66.

c1.jpg

My new GT40. :wink Thanks Rich!

c2.jpg

My car decided to join in on the fun the last day and was very excited to be surrounded by her 2 favorite GTs!

c4.jpg

c5.jpg

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Last ones...

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Well, another GT Getaway Weekend is in the books. I'm still decompressing. I hope everyone had a great time. It was great seeing old friends, and making new ones. That Renea is a real firecracker. Chip obviously has GREAT taste. (but I think Renea has better) It was an honor having Royce (birthday boy), and Charlie (crazy kid) spend Sunday night at my humble abode. What can I say about MJ and Ralphie. Where do these people get so much energy? Next year we will insist that Barry leave his cell phone at home.

As you can see from the pictures (WHAT is that cave sloth doing against the wall?) we had a very busy weekend. Despite a few mechanical hick-ups, things went pretty well. I had the chance to drive Chip's Yellow Monster. Definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing. (BIG boost is our friend) I didn't check the miles we drove, but it was a lot.

I'm already getting ideas for next years event. Maybe a southern tour this time. Visit copper mine , a shoot out at the OK corral, a movie studio town. We shall see. :thumbsup

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
It was great seeing Charlie and Chip again, and I enjoyed talking with Renea (great girl Chip!!). Thanks for inviting birthday boy Royce. Rich, maybe Chip won't agree, but the key incident and 2 flats just added to the adventure. It was a pleasure seeing you and Evelyn again. You guys did a fantastic job planning this trip and I'm looking forward to next year. Barry, I hope everything went okay with your son. I agree. Next year, we will have to steal your phone...but at least you made it through lunch. Ralphie, I'm sure we will have more adventures with #2 before next year. Thanks again for helping me get back to my car and letting me copilot.

-MJ

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Sorry I couldn't make it. I really, really want to do this. The reason I couldn't go this year was well worth it though, as wife wife pulled out a first place win at the Banjo contest. (She even won money which we didn't expect.)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
For crying out the window, 18 - WHERE'S THE VID????????????!!!!!!!!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
For crying out the window, 18 - WHERE'S THE VID????????????!!!!!!!!

+1

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.

Trying... I don't know how to get it yet.