GT Door Latch Alignment

tbc

GT Owner
Jan 29, 2012
I have a 2005 GT which is build # 588. The doors, especially the drivers door, operates "hard" when using the inside door release levers. I also have a 2006 GT and the doors operate very smoothly. I am hesitant to try to start adjusting the latching mechanisms on the '05 on my own to try to correct the issue and potentially make matters worse. Does anyone either know someone that knows how to do that (I'm in CA), or do any of yuz guyz have some experience with having done it yourself? Thanks in advance....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have the same question except mine is on the closing. My drivers door definitely requires a hefty push (or pull from the inside) to get up over something else it sticks on the first "partially closed" point. The passenger door doesn't require it. I was looking for some kind of latching alignment but haven't found it yet. I ordered the service manual in hopes of discovering this adjustment point (among other things :) )

TACHY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2006
Fort Myers, Florida
I believe there is a thread on this, probably can search forum. I was able to get my doors to close easier by loosening the torx bolts holding the striker in the door jam slightly, then closing the door and getting the striker to find its sweet spot. Retightening of course afterwards.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Check the top of the door where it connects to the body. The black plastic piece likes to crack and make closing the door a bit harder.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I will tell you that 2006 Doors are smoother than 2005. I would not suggest adjusting the doors because the handle on the inside is harder to squeeze then your 06. If the doors shut OK, then it is likely not an alignment issue

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Also, Kendall and Shadowman are both in CA and both experienced with GTs

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is a TSB on the door latch handles. Several were replaced at Saleen during Rally I. 2005 cars only. The TSB is posted here someplace.

tbc

GT Owner
Jan 29, 2012
There is a TSB on the door latch handles. Several were replaced at Saleen during Rally I. 2005 cars only. The TSB is posted here someplace.
Thanks everybody for the good ideas. I found a number of older threads that talked about this problem. What I gathered is that the latch assemby design was changed in 2005 to correct this problem, and the later '05s and '06s benefited from the change. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the TSB, so if anyone happens to have it or know where it is, please let me know. Seems like a guy could order the 2006 parts and change out the original '05 assemblies that are problematic....