dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Click for the Video

Jamie is that you?

Anybody know what that car had on it? Great E.T.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Same car running an 11.1@128 on it's own:

Watch the Video

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Actually that is me, we rented the track a couple of months earlier for that date thinking we would have cool temps and the weather was horrible, 101 degrees in the staging lanes on one of my pass's in my GT2 Porsche. I was actually disappointed because the GT has run 135mph plus last November, but the heat must of killed it? The car was running stock tires and has a tune and pulley from Jason, it was actually only the 2nd and 3rd run I had ever made on the car. Last year after I put on the pulley and downloaded the tune I took it to the track and on my first pass it ran an 11.4 at 135 mph plus, it was cold and the car wouldn't hook, my second pass I had a great leave but the car shut off halfway down the track, and I tried one more pass and same result. So I called Jason and he sent me a mafia because he said it was a MAF problem and it was, so this was my first time back to the track since then. After I ran the 11.1 I thought my mph was way off so I called Jason and told him I had something wrong with it, he told me to try a run without the MAF if it would make a pass without it and check the boost? It did make a clean pass and ran almost the exact same time , although I noticed the car was only making about 14.5 to 15 pounds of boost and with the new pulley usually makes about 17pds. Jason told me it was the heat and he had seen big falloffs on his dyno after multiple runs and he talked to some engineers at Ford and they confirmed what he told me. I had taken tires (drag radials) to the track that day but I was so disappointed in the runs I didn't even bother to bolt them on. I also took my GT2 Porsche to the track that day and the heat didn't seem to bother it as much, with just a computer tune and a muffler making 1.1 bar the car ran 11.06 at 126 and 11.07 at the same mph and if I had not of climbed in the GT I am sure I would of went 10's in the Porsche but the clutches are so much different in the 2 cars I got out of rythem in the Porsche after driving the GT and with the heat being so brutal I just loaded up and came home after a couple more runs in the Porsche. I guess the good news is even with the brutal heat the GT almost ran 10's with stock tires with just a tune and a pulley in 100 degree heat. This was an event put on by 6speedonline guys and we have rented the track again on the 12th of November and I am definately going 10's that day in both cars! I know we will have cool weather by then.

If you go to the website 6speedonline and then go to MIR track rental under searchs it has video's of a lot of the runs of the cars.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Heat kills the GT. No doubt about it. You start losing a bit of power above 80*, but once you get above 95, you're cooked.

Still, great E.T. for a stock tire car with that mph. How are you launching the car? If you feel like it, try powershifting. I watched a very high power GT be powershifted repeatedly and it picked up .4 tenths in the quarter from regular shifting...

I promised myself I was done drag racing, but this makes me want to make at least a pass or two :willy

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I don't drag race much anymore myself, but it is a place you can run your car without getting locked up. I definatly don't plan on drag racing the GT much 1 or 2 times a year but I don't know about speed shifting or as I like to call it flat shifting. The car doesn't really have enough traction to flat shift if you don't lift, and not to brag but I think Jason will vouch for me I am a pretty fast shifter one of the fastest and maybe I am giving up a tenth maybe? Definatly not 4, but I will try it on the 12th and see what happens? I am taking tires so traction might not be a problem. When I watched those video's it makes it sound like your shifting slow when in fact your not, it takes the sound a while to travel. Thats what made you suggest I speed shift right? I was thinking the same thing when I saw it, but in the cockpit believe me it was a lot different. But thanks for the tip who knows maybe I am not as fast as I think I am?
Man launching that thing is tricky, 2000 rpm quick clutch slip and go. I had a 1.87 60ft.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I promised myself I was done drag racing, but this makes me want to make at least a pass or two :willy

Prognosticating Pockets senses a Stillen 3.90 gear set in Dave's future! :lol :cheers

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
When I watched those video's it makes it sound like your shifting slow when in fact your not, it takes the sound a while to travel. Thats what made you suggest I speed shift right?

Oh no, that's not why I was suggesting it at all. I know your driving pedigree. Not many people can run a stock C6 Z 11.30s and a stock GT 11.50s! I just suggested it because I watched a similarly high performance driver people use (a guy who I've seen hop into someone else's car who has only ever run mid 9's and on the first pass crack off an 8.63) pick up a lot of e.t and mph by powershifting a GT. Probably has to do more with keeping the boost on for that extra split second because it still has a minute bit of lag when you get back on it, even with the blower.

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I am going to speed shift that GT next time and see what happens because it makes sense what your saying about the boost, so I will see what happens on Nov 12. On another note I ran the Z06 last friday night bone stone stock 11.2 at 127.6 with a 1.93 short time my best ever.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Atmospheric conditions can have a large net effect on end power output. Forced induction motors tend to take a bigger hit then NA applications. So
I am sure that was the issue.

Nice runs though !

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I will definitely be curious to see what you run shifting with both methods. Some of the SVT guys were telling me that they had to give driving tutorials to some of the magazines because they couldn't replicate their own performance numbers, and that powershifting the car made a pretty big difference stock. You should snag a stock GT from someone and see how big a difference it makes. I think the momentary lag on a stock car is even worse than it is with the p/t. I know never lifting in my C5 Z06 allowed me to get some pretty big mph (120) for a car with intake, headers and exhaust.

Phenomenal time for the stock Z!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I am going to speed shift that GT next time and see what happens ...

Okay ...I'm sure you undoubtedly know this ...but, being paranoid I have to say it anyway:

For the sake of "parts" during the 1-2 shift - be sure the tranny is darn good and WARM first? :ack:ack:ack:willy:willy:willy

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
What about traction control? Oh, forgot, it's only for sissys.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
What about traction control? Oh, forgot, it's only for sissys.

:lol:lol:lol