GT at Road Atlanta

callchuck

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Took the old GT out for a spin today at Road Atlanta, I was very impressed! The car is super fast coming out of corners with all that torque. The HP lays down nicely very smooth....almost to smooth. At high speeds @150 plus the front end gets kinda lite, you fell like you need to lift off the gas...which I did everytime after my first high speed lift. Normally you would stay in the throttle until the braking zone....I probably would have easly gained another 15-20 miles an hour if I would have waited till the braking zone.

This car is fast enough to run with anybody, it just needs a better ground effects package to give it a better stable feeling at high speeds. The brakes are a monster. I probably stopped short a few times before I even got to the corner because they were so great. The shifting and power is so smooth and quite that you do not get a great feeling for the track. Steering is also real easy.

On my last lap of the day a new Z06 came from behind into turn 7 leading to the back straight, he was on my rear bumper. A Ferrari 348 Challange was in front of me the Vette went to pull around me to make a double pass....no way...I nailed the gas passed the 348 like he was standing still and felt my front start to get lite when I reached that magic speed @150, but I stayed on the gas to the braking zone, the Vette was dusted, but soon caught me at the start finish line at the end of the session. The Vette was awsome through the corners.

Next time out my new Z06 will arrive, and I will have both cars to compare from the cockpit.

Thanks Don for showing up with that beautiful Tungsten GT.

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
Sounds like you had fun.
Mine won't get to the track till late spring.

Interesting comment regarding the ground effects... the car has gone to 212 with same package. Regardless, it's not a good feeling when you experience it.

Did you find all the gears quickly? This shifter just seems a little odd to me... I probably have to drive it more and on a track to get used to it.

Ray

callchuck

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
I seem to miss second more than any other gear on the down shift. All gears going forward were like clock work. The front end lift or push @ 150 plus is the back straight at Road Atlanta, the straight starts to bend right going down hill to 10A. As soon as you reach that curve the front wants to get light and push left not as stable as a race car should feel. The test at high speeds were probably in a straight flat line. Anyway with a little ground effects package, adjustable shocks in the front, and brake bias this car would be ready to race.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Track Days

Chuck,
Thanks for including us at the track day. We had a great time living through you!

I think it would be very helpful to have someone that is knowledgeable about the ins and outs of track days to make a post for the rest of us. I was surprised at how simple it appears to be to get your GT on the track.

For us Atlanta types, it seems there is Barber, Road Atlanta and the place in South Georgia. Do you know who runs the events at the other tracks?

We are enrolled in the Porsche 2 day High Performance driving school at Barber in April. I will pull some info from them on track days as well.
Thanks again!
Don

callchuck

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Knowing what I know about the GT now, I would not recomend this car for Barber or Roebling. Road Atlanta, Seabring, VIR and larger open tracks are the one for the GT. All of these tracks have track days. Each track has a website with a calendar of the track days coming up.

Pipelion

Callchuck,

Thanks for the great post. Sounds like real real fun.

I asked One of 19 how his GT was at speed (215mph), I specifically asked how it handled. I even asked if the front got light or floated. His doesn't, he said it's very stable at speed. He drives it to 190mph twice a day (to and from work), must be very nice.

After watching the Joe's GT video, I noticed how soft the nose set up was. When the GT is accellerating it climbs. And falls fast(settles) when brakes are applied. I wonder if your not at speed long enough (and if only at 150mph((only my ass, I know that's real fast)), in other words the car may not have time to settle the front down and become stable.

A soft nose is great for fast starts by letting the weight get back on the rear wheels, this was taught to me by my drag racing cousin (back in the day they would beat Roush regularly). He explained early engineers thought the rear wheels couldn't accept more than 1 "G" of friction, since they have discovered the rear can take 2-3+, depending on the suspention. If the GT had great slicks it may be awesome out of the gate.

I would be courios how your GT would handle with a longer straight?

Stay safe, and keep us posted with more great ones like this.

Allan

I am so so green :biggrin :biggrin

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What kind of lap times did you turn at Road Atlanta?

callchuck

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Florida Chris said:
What kind of lap times did you turn at Road Atlanta?
I was turning laps in the 1:40's. I was not trying to run fast laps for the session but trying to get a feeling for the car. I had a passenger with me also who races, and we were feeling the car out. I was not running hard in the braking zones just kind of going through the motions. We were screaming and laughing like chicks because it was so much fun! Nothing like having a fellow racer sitting beside you and enjoying exactly what you are while feeling this beast out.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
What kind of helmets do you wear?

callchuck

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
LEMANSZ said:
What kind of helmets do you wear?
STAND 21

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I thought they just made suits

callchuck

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Go to www.stand21.fr/ tthey have everything.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
LEMANSZ said:
I thought they just made suits

On the suit front (should you want to go for the period look) A quote from Stirling Moss:

"A number of readers have enquired about my tailor in Bangkok who knocks up my classic Dunlop-style racing suits and blue blazers. I deal with a woman named Penny and you can email her at worldwwidegroupbkk@hotmail.com. Mention my name and I am sure they will do you a good deal."

http://www.octane-magazine.com/default.asp?ItemKey=5639&DisplayTitle=&NewsOpened=1

:biggrin :biggrin

callchuck

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
White Petunia said:
The USA franchise link isn't working.
You need to click the english version.

callchuck

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
White Petunia said:
I did originally, as my French isn't any good. Who is the USA distributor?
They are here in Atlanta. I will look up the phone number and post it for you.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Callchuck - I've just made a post in another thread about high speed handling. Pretty much a similar viewpoint.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
1:40's....you gotta be kidding? my neon makes it around RA 1:44's.....

callchuck

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
FrankBarba said:
1:40's....you gotta be kidding? my neon makes it around RA 1:44's.....
If you think you can push the GT around Road Atlanta as is in the 1:30's than you should be racing for big money! I would challange you on any track day that we have at Road Atlanta to run your GT under your 1:44 neon lap time.

I have had my Radical in the 1:20's around Road Atlanta so I know what it is like to do fast lap times.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
callchuck said:
If you think you can push the GT around Road Atlanta as is in the 1:30's than you should be racing for big money! I would challange you on any track day that we have at Road Atlanta to run your GT under your 1:44 neon lap time.

I have had my Radical in the 1:20's around Road Atlanta so I know what it is like to do fast lap times.

And if i do?

callchuck

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
FrankBarba said:
And if i do?
If you and your car are still in one piece I will gladly buy you dinner for 2.... your choice. If you don't touch the 1:30's than you owe me the same.