Gt 500

furlong

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 14, 2007
pennsylvania
One of my friends just bought a GT 500 convertible and he stopped by my house. We were reading the manual and it seems to have our GT motor in it.
He was nice enough to let me drive it, but I was underwhelmed. Why does the GT seem so much faster?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It's not the same motor. Different blower, different power output, different rods, etc different vehicle weight.

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
One of my friends just bought a GT 500 convertible and he stopped by my house. We were reading the manual and it seems to have our GT motor in it.
He was nice enough to let me drive it, but I was underwhelmed. Why does the GT seem so much faster?
Did you get into boost, or was it still on the factor limp tune?

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
What Dave said. I think the only common parts are the heads. They are fat pigs and barely move. Your butt dyno will feel different for every car, so don't judge it by the way it feels. It is going faster than you think, but I do agree that they are on the slow side. It took an additional 150HP to make my GT500 feel like my GT.

BTW, what bike is that in your avatar? That thing looks mean as hell! :)

furlong

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 14, 2007
pennsylvania
I was under the wrong impression, I thought they were the same motors. But that wouldn't make sense, because the car MSRP was 50K and I believe the motor for our GTs sells for over 30K. I was on boost, it ran well, but didn't have the "you better pay attention acceleration" that we have.

My bike is a Walz frame from Germany. The rest of it I designed as we built it. It was featured in 2006 Feb. Easy Rider Magazine. I ride it alot and get stopped alot for questions, it is so low. The seat height is 16".

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I own a GT500 and think it's a pretty tough call to compare it to my FGT. I like to compare it to other new Mustang models, GTOs, Corvettes and the new Camaro, Challenger, etc. when they come out.

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
Not conparing apples 2 oranges

Just bought a new motor and tranaxle,two have a spare,same as shadowman
I wish it was 30,000.But when you have two gals why take a chance.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Did you get into boost, or was it still on the factor limp tune?

exactly, its pretty lively when it gets into boost, I have no complaints with mine.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Don't forget it is an iron engine block tool. It weighs nearly a thousand pounds more than the FGT, is soft (suspension), and indeed is slower. I sold my GT500 to a guy in Australia to convert to right hand drive. My Saleen S281E with the aluminum block and 550 HP feels as fast as the GT (although it is not as fast.)

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
Nearly 1000# more? A GT500 without shaker 1000 weighs in at 3850. How much does a GT weigh? I thought they were in the neighborhood of 3400-3500? Of course it is slower. Best time I have seen for a stock car with drag radials is 11.90. With pulley/cai/tune and drag radials, 10.65. Not bad for a fat pig.........

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Fully optioned GT is 3900 lbs. Look at B pillar.

08GT500

Jul 21, 2007
Peoria,Arizona
I had no idea they were that heavy. I have always seen around 3400 lbs. given as gross weight. No wonder a C6 Z06 is so close. Huge weight advantage. Still the car to own, no question.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
last summer i raced a new shelby GT-500 that was bone stock with drag radials. i was racing my 2001 camaro SS and i beat him with a 12.25 @ 116 mph to his losing 13.77 @ 103 mph. his sixty foot time was close to mine too. this was at my local drag strip in Tucson which has a very high DA in the summer time. after our race we both weighed our cars without us in them and mine weighed 3460 and his weighed 3960. i think his blower was heat soaked......

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Fully optioned GT is 3900 lbs. Look at B pillar.

You mean Mustang .... right?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I had no idea they were that heavy. I have always seen around 3400 lbs. given as gross weight. No wonder a C6 Z06 is so close. Huge weight advantage. Still the car to own, no question.

A fully option Ford GT is about 3400lbs. If the car is missing the BBS wheel option add 32lbs.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
No, I mean our Gts. Look at the B pillar sticker on your cars. You can go to Shelby's site and look at the stickers on his cars (he has nice pictures).

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
No, I mean our Gts. Look at the B pillar sticker on your cars. You can go to Shelby's site and look at the stickers on his cars (he has nice pictures).

Frank, that is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating which is the max allowable weight including passengers, cargo, all liquids, etc. Curb weight is sans passengers and cargo.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Here were my weight results:\

Car has Mac, and optional wheels, and Lloyds mats....

http://fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3476&highlight=corner+weight

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Here were my weight results:\

Car has Mac, and optional wheels, and Lloyds mats....

http://fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3476&highlight=corner+weight

Specracer, I scaled my car last year after a few mods. (car has the BBS light option wheels).

Mods.
1 Bumper delete
2 No child seat bracket
3 car cover removed
4 No tire repair kit
5 MMP pipe (stock muffler removed)
6 Rubber mats removed and replaced with custom fit 38oz mats
7 Mac relocate
8 KB snout & pulley
9 trans cooler
10 Short shifter
11 car was nearly driven out of gas, scaled, then topped off and the fuel left in the tank was accounted for. (1 1/2 gals approx.)
My car weighs 3290lbs less fuel.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Interesting that you got that much out of it. I still have the stock mats under the lloyds, still have the stock bumper, did have the tire kit and tow hook in the car, but forgot that I do have a Borla on the car. Had not done the mac relocate yet (probably adds a pound or so). Not sure if I had the trans cooler installed yet or not....