GT 1/4 mile times

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
What is the quickest 1/4 mile ET anyone has run with a (factory stock) GT to date... ET/MPH

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What is the quickest 1/4 mile ET anyone has run with a (factory stock) GT to date... ET/MPH

'Quickest I saw was 11.2 @ 132 in one of the car mags ...but, I didn't know then that I was gunna be asked this later & 'didn't write down which one!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That wasn't stock. And MT corrects their times. I think the Evan Smith ran something in the low 11's before they added the pulley to the car he went 10.8 in. I think the best you're gonna get in a stock GT is maybe 11.30. It's not setup to be a drag car. There have been more than a few 11.5-11.6s, but the sample size will be tiny because taking the GT to the dragstrip is a bit boring compared to what you could be doing with it...and there are so few of them.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That wasn't stock.

Which mag was I quoting? I'll go check it. And, anyway ... 11.2 ....11.3 ..."whoppie doo". Whatever. The average dude is going to fry the hides anyway & will be lucky to turn low 12's. ('Think that mag said 3.3 0-60 as well.)

You're sure right about the GT not being set up for drag racing! Low gear in these things is taller than most buildings. It's amazing they turn WHATEVER "11's" times they "officially" turn.

Last edited:
H

HHGT

I agree with DBk. My c5 Z06 was more of a drag car - a great car, the GT is a different animal. The best comparo I can give you is spirited open road driving, which I have done in both cars. SteveA can chime in here, I think he had similar experiences.

While somewhere on a military base, I used to and still do practice launches, 1/4 miles, 0 to 60, 0 to 100 etc. Where I believe this car is in a league of its own, is from 60 to 170 mph +. The Z06 used to front nose lift as speeds got up - I pegged mine at 172mph. The GT has incredible downforce.

At 150 mph, you can have a discussion in the GT and be very comfortable. In the Z06, it was different, very nervously different....

This weekend I spent some time at Ontario Speedway watching Swifts race. All I have been thinking about since, is taking the GT out there and doing a few laps at speeds above 170 mph.. Now I have goose bumps....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Which mag was I quoting? I'll go check it. And, anyway ... 11.2 ....11.3 ..."whoppie doo". Whatever. The average dude is going to fry the hides anyway & will be lucky to turn low 12's.

That was Motor Trend. GT, Enzo, CGT. Certainly looked at home, though those cars are in another stratosphere. If you got me a stock GT at a decent track, I could reliably turn you in 11.60s. Air is a big problem with this car. Every ten degrees hotter, holy shit does it get slow :lol

I agree with DBk. My c5 Z06 was more of a drag car - a great car, the GT is a different animal.

At 150 mph, you can have a discussion in the GT and be very comfortable. In the Z06, it was different, very nervously different....

Indeed. I too had a C5 Z06 that was basically used as a straight line toy. Much much much better for drag launches because you can modulate the clutch rather than the throttle. But boy did it feel like it was going to explode over 150. All my friends absolutely hated driving with me in that car :lol

If you think the GT downforce is big at 170, take it all the way. There's an eerie point somewhere in 5th :)wink) where you feel the car suck to the ground and it's as if it's operating in a vacuum. A truly magnificent thing to experience...

H

HHGT

That was Motor Trend. GT, Enzo, CGT. Certainly looked at home, though those cars are in another stratosphere. If you got me a stock GT at a decent track, I could reliably turn you in 11.60s. Air is a big problem with this car. Every ten degrees hotter, holy shit does it get slow :lol

Indeed. I too had a C5 Z06 that was basically used as a straight line toy. Much much much better for drag launches because you can modulate the clutch rather than the throttle. But boy did it feel like it was going to explode over 150. All my friends absolutely hated driving with me in that car :lol

If you think the GT downforce is big at 170, take it all the way. There's an eerie point somewhere in 5th :)wink) where you feel the car suck to the ground and it's as if it's operating in a vacuum. A truly magnificent thing to experience...

yes, I know what you mean.. I call it the "Orgasm before you kiss 200". I was merely comparing it to the Z06...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
That wasn't stock. And MT corrects their times. I think the Evan Smith ran something in the low 11's before they added the pulley to the car he went 10.8 in. I think the best you're gonna get in a stock GT is maybe 11.30. It's not setup to be a drag car. There have been more than a few 11.5-11.6s, but the sample size will be tiny because taking the GT to the dragstrip is a bit boring compared to what you could be doing with it...and there are so few of them.

I laminated this magazine's GT specs & stuck it in the webbing behind the driver's seat of my GT in case sumbuddy didn't believe me & I needed to "show 'em". 'Just went out and got it & brought it in here. 'Lamination duzzunt show the mag's name ...but 'article compared the '05 GT, the '03 Ferrari Enzo & the'04 CGT. The times for the GT are as follows: Qtr mile 11.2 @ 131.2 (call me a liar for .8 mph, will you!:lol ).

Sooooooooo, a hearty "PPPPPPPHT!" to you! :rofl 'Pockets "shines" again!

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
No I'm not calling you a liar :lol That car was cooked. It had some er, "tweaks", just for the competition of the day. Stock GT's don't pull anywhere near 131mph. Maybe on a nice cold day powershifting you might cross 128...just gauging off my G-Tech, which is about 4mph off reality from the many passes I've done in previous cars track vs. tech, screwing around it usually read around 131 stock...

Personally, once I drove this car, drag racing became a complete bore to me. This is where it's at :biggrin

1.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
No I'm not calling you a liar :lol

YES YOU WERE! YES YOU WERE!
AND SOMEBODY FROM THE FIRM OF SCHIESTER, FINAGLE, RIPOFF, GOUGE ... & CROOKSHANK WILL BE CONTACTING YOU SHORTLY!!!!!!!

But ...if as you say the GT was "cooked" - what was done?????
If a guy can "cook" the car w/o a pulley - still have it look stock on the outside - THAT bag of tricks I wanna KNOW about!!!!! Seriously, Dave. What was done? The "sneeky" side of Pockets want's this info!!!!! (The article, of coarse, said NUTHUN about the GT being modded.)

Last edited:

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
my car ran 10.4 at 144.9 at orlando speedway about a year ago with 732 rwhp

we are preparing to break into the 9's since it seems we resolved the traction problems at 1450 RWHP..

i will keep you posted but i dont think it is going to be long since the car is ready..

joe

dgussin1

Jul 6, 2006
Chicago, Il
my car ran 10.4 at 144.9 at orlando speedway about a year ago with 732 rwhp

we are preparing to break into the 9's since it seems we resolved the traction problems at 1450 RWHP..

i will keep you posted but i dont think it is going to be long since the car is ready..

joe

you mean you can't hook up 1450rwhp on PS2's? :rofl

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
you mean you can't hook up 1450rwhp on PS2's? :rofl

The M&H 17's we have out back now hook about 900whp in first gear and full boost and hose 2nd on up.

The acceleration rate is rediculous now.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
What are M&H 17's?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
What are M&H 17's?

'Basically -slicks!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
'Basically -slicks!

Yes

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
holy cow... I need to upgrade...:rofl

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
they are not really slick they do have tread and are DOT but they are 17 INCH they have a lot more treading than hoosiers..

californiacuda are you close to getting you car done ?? 1500 or so rwhp??

keep me posted..

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
The engine is ready to be assembled.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Piko, the engine mods are similar to yours I believe. Stronger rods and pistons, head work, different cams, spec clutch, bigger injectors.. I had some custom 18" rims made and purchased some Bfg 345/30/18 drag radials. But I don't think I did my homework properly. The BFG have a diameter of only 26.15, not much sidewall for added flex and traction on launch. I did some research after the M&H post last night.

The Nittos that you were running 305/45/18 have a side wall height of approx 5.4". the M&H 325/45/17 have a side wall height of approx 5.75". The BFG's that I purchased have a sidewall height of only 4". Do the M&H hook considerably better than the Nittos? And, was the 17" rim fitment issue very difficult?

Additionally, I'm putting a cage in my car so that when its ready to run, I won't have tech issues. At 5' 8" I'm a midget compared to you, so, maybe I'll be able to fit in the car when its done.

Keep up the good, crazy work. Its exciting to see and hear about the exploits of you and your car. Where is that Busa now?

Be safe.