Grocery Getters

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Gordo:

We have decided to go with an `07 Focus. From no Fords to two Fords in four months.

The dealer also has a Shelby GT500 convertible (in white); that might be a nice daily driver.

We all like the Element but could not "get together" with Honda even though we currently lease two of them. Locally, their cars sell themselves; they do not have to be accomodating. So Ford is getting the sale. My daughter is, of course, thrilled.

This gives me some lead time to find my daily driver. I am thinking that I no longer need five passenger seating in my grocery getter with the other cars within the household.

Thinking of a mini-Cooper with a crate Hemi.

P.S. Gordo, I like your car.

- doc

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Doc, make sure you get side air bags and traction control on the Focus. Mine had the upgraded stereo with 6CD player, but not high wattage. I was very pleased to let my kids drive it for 5 years with no major mishaps, good gas mileage and not bad trade-in after all that time. Low insurance, too.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
fjpikul:

Yes, I did specify traction control, all air bags, and everything related to safety.

She's a cute kid; eschews bling. She wanted a stark white car and simply a radio. She wanted the 5 door hatchback so that her saddles would fit in the back.

The price was extremely good, but we knew that she would be tired of it in three years so are going to lease it.

Thank you for the input; good to know another dad was comfortable with the Focus.

- doc

Jan A. Byrd

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
Percy IL
Daily driver

eshrink said:
Was wondering (actually looking for testimonials and recommendations) what you drive on a daily basis.

In the months ahead, I shall be looking for a daily driver, would like something exciting but also something that is not a major source of hassle ("ooops, time for a $2k oil change"). A Porsche 911 Coupe has always (have had them) appealed to me although the lease rates on them are quite unattractice. Other recommendations would be appreciated.

I was not so much interested in concessions you make to traffic and gas prices as what exciting/interesting cars you "drive to the office" on a daily basis.

Thank you in advance,

- doc

I my opinion you just can't go wrong with a new four door F-150.

jimfro

GT Owner
Jun 20, 2006
Sebring, Florida
dailey driver

I have 4 fords two mustangs for the kids and expedition for everybody, and GMC hot truck with 4.6 Vortec for my daily driver, my wife has a convertible VW Turbo bug and a miatia. Oh I forgot the GT which only I drive!!! :cheers

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Was passed on a secondary road by a Superformance Cobra. Now that was a nice grocery getter. I also like the Shelby GT that is coming out this winter; I especially like the Hurst shifter.

If Daimler decides to proceed with a fourth generation Viper sharing platform with the "Firepower," and makes 5k of the next Viper, that would be a good grocery getter for me...unless it rains.

- doc

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
My grocery getter is a Porsche Cayenne Turbo with a nice bike rack on the back. I am sure that a Ford Expedition would work as nicely (for hauling my bicycle), but I am equally sure that it is not as fun to drive. On the expressway, at 75-85 mph, a Ford Explorer or Chevy Suburban just does not feel stable to me...maybe I am spoiled but most German cars simply drive better...better steering feedback, better brakes, better and tighter suspensions. My 2 cents.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The new SL550 are nice. If you get the AMG version its a beast (510HP). I haven't had any problems with mine. All the services are warranted, so maintenance is not an issue.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Doc, my daily driver is a Range Rover Vogue supercharged, unfortunately it is the size of public library and therefore a little thirsty - gas is rather expensive in the UK. My wife drives a Subaru Forrester which is superb - a four wheel drive estate that is hugely reliable. I am told that you can put about 200,000 miles on the engine. Given that she does about 8,000 miles a year, I calculate that her replacement car will be due in August 2031.

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Cyclenirvana said:
My grocery getter is a Porsche Cayenne Turbo with a nice bike rack on the back. I am sure that a Ford Expedition would work as nicely (for hauling my bicycle), but I am equally sure that it is not as fun to drive. On the expressway, at 75-85 mph, a Ford Explorer or Chevy Suburban just does not feel stable to me...maybe I am spoiled but most German cars simply drive better...better steering feedback, better brakes, better and tighter suspensions. My 2 cents.

My daily driver is a Porsche Cayenne Turbo also. Awesome combination of looks, power, handling, comfort and utility. AWD for the winters and easily tows the race trailer in a pinch. I do mostly highway driving to and from work and average 17 mpg. :thumbsup

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
The Grocery Getter concept will be unquestionably different dependent upon locale as well as needs.

We have no snow; so that is not a concern for us. We need a truck only for hauling saddles and tack which is not a regular activity. We have unfathominably bad traffic, and there have been times when 7 miles on suburban roads have been 45+ minute trips...this interferes with enjoying a performance grocery getter.

I tend to agree with Cyclenirvana that German cars, BMW and Porsche (and Mercedes in the past) give more than a measure of quality.

But I also agree that, where possible, we want to drive an American car (just ordered a Ford for one child) and feel a degree of duty to do so. My wife will strongly consider a Ford for her next vehicle. There is not currently in the pipeline a Ford that I personally want, but perhaps something will emerge.

- doc

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I think it all depends upon what you need or are looking for...I think most people would agree that the last decade has seen dramatic improvements in the quality of American cars. If you are looking for a pickup truck, the Ford F150 is still a good deal. For a sports car under 100K, the new Z06 cannot be beat. If I lived somewhere where I really needed serious offroad capabilities, I would opt for a Hummer. But for an SUV that both drives well and has some offroad capabilities, it is hard to beat the European car-based offerings (eg. BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne), at least compared to the more truck-based American SUVs. But you will pay for the priviledge. Wanting to be more "environmentally" conscious, I test drove a Lexus 400h...man, talk about body lean in corners and a sterile driving experience. Many US cars and, even some Japanese autos, have what I call "sensory deprivation". My dad loves it...I don't. The high end road bicycles have firm seats and carbon fiber frames...you feel the road dude! But is it ever responsive! Same with cars. I'll stop babbling now.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Here is my original daily driver. My 2001 BMW M5, with a lot of modifications (SS Headers, Met Racing Cats, Tubi Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, Stoptech BBK, BBS LM's, UUC SSK, etc.) Dyno'ed 395.5 rwhp. A lot of fun at Willow Springs at a BMW weekend driving event. I don't know if I should let it go. A lot of time and money has gone into this car, and it's never been a disappointment. It only gets better with age. I told my wife I would be selling the M5, if I got the GT. I will soon have my GT, as soon as the transporter arrives - but I never said exactly when I would be selling the M5...

IMG_1153.jpg

Recently, I added this grocery getter and work vehicle, after my wife got tired of me taking her Cayenne S out to Azusa, Gorman, Hollister, and the Mojave Desert and getting it all dirty and mud caked. It's a lot of fun with the 5.7L HEMI, and a gibson exhaust and K&N FIPK.

31f43c28.jpg

My wife's Cayenne S, say what you will, but this is one well designed and fun vehicle:

10462251-L.jpg

Last edited:

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
My wife's Cayenne S, say what you will, but this is one well designed and fun vehicle:

10462251-L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah. I have taken my Cayenne Turbo on a few offroad trails. The adjustable suspension height is fantastic...in addition, it can tow over 7000 lbs., as some in this forum are using it to pull car trailers.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Cyclenirvana:

There are two cars that I have considered:

Mustang...something like the forthcoming Shelby GT (not the 500) or Roush.

`07 Corvette Convertible in Atomic Orange...automatic (kids can drive)

- doc