Grocery Getters

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Was wondering (actually looking for testimonials and recommendations) what you drive on a daily basis.

In the months ahead, I shall be looking for a daily driver, would like something exciting but also something that is not a major source of hassle ("ooops, time for a $2k oil change"). A Porsche 911 Coupe has always (have had them) appealed to me although the lease rates on them are quite unattractice. Other recommendations would be appreciated.

I was not so much interested in concessions you make to traffic and gas prices as what exciting/interesting cars you "drive to the office" on a daily basis.

Thank you in advance,

- doc

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I have two daily drivers, a BMW M5 (2002 6-speed, 34,000 miles) and a Ford Lightning PU (2003, 24,000 miles). Both are great.

I am still deciding about the new M5 and am not impressed by the paddle shifter. The new manual trans model will not let you take off the computer controlled stability. Looks more and more like I will be keeping my current car.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Barrett-Jackson had a very interesting discussion on the demographics of owning a car with paddle shifter vs. 6-speed transmission; made a great deal of sense.

Young adults are reared on video games; use of paddle shifters seems a logical extension, but, also, in some geographical areas they cited (Los Angeles, New York and Atlanta), it is not feasible to sit in traffic (sometimes) for hours working a clutch.

I personally found the Viper to be noxious in Atlanta traffic.

I am seriously looking at a Hyundai Accent for my daughter's first car; it is hard to walk away from the ease of these imports.

("....which is better than not getting old..." - how true, how true; I was in a parking lot today with the GT. A guy was next to the car (about 43 years old), and I recognized him from years ago. He is a business owner and has always been rather arrogant and hostile. He had a lot of questions about the GT. He had changed a great deal in attitude. Your quote comes to mind when I think about that incident...he is recently quadriplegic from an auto accident.)

- doc

Last edited:

Big Carrot

GT Owner
May 13, 2006
Dallas
I just bought a 2007 Denali for my daily driver, and I love it! It's nice, powerful, 4X4, plush, roomy, and if I want to tow something I can. Perfect for me!

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY
I have a 1997 Porsche C4S. It's the last of the air-cooled Porsches and to my eyes the best looking one since then -- it has a pinched waist like the our GTs. Good power, great gas mileage and with the engine directly over the rear wheels and on-demand all wheel drive it's great in sloppy weather. If it disappeared, I'd try to replace it with a duplicate rather than anything newer.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm going to get rid of my Navigator for one of those new Lincoln MKX things come November. Decent horsepower, need something for winter, bit of storage, matches my Pugs hair on the inside. Done deal.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Gee whiz, can't you guys buy Fords? I bought my kids a Focus in 2000 and it was fabulous. Ran great for 80K and traded it in (got 3K) for a new Fusion which is even better (beats out Camry every time, and close to Accord). I've also got 2 Escapes which have been exemplary (road noise is a little loud). My daily driver is a F150 Lariat that rides better than a Cadillac. I can't wait for the new Edge to debut.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Well, I guess it depends on how much I plan to buy that day at the store, but the main driver would be my 06 M5. The paddle shifting is fine. I did not like it on my M3, but the M5 is fine since it has more power. I would not recommend a Porsche do to the little cargo room in it.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I like the Edge. The MKX is the same vehicle, and I like the Lincoln brand. I've had 5 Fords, 2 Lincolns, and 2 Jaguars in the last 7 years and I've barely had a single issue. I toyed with the idea of buying an Escape Hybrid, but I'm going to wait and see what the Fusion Hybrid looks like...

If they made an AWD Focus RS for the U.S, or a 6-Speed Fusion V6 with 280hp , I'd buy either one immediately.

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Two great drivers, Lexus SC430 & Infinity FX45. FX for snow and go and SC for sun & fun.

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Hmmm, I rather thought we would hear tales of great, unusual and unique daily drivers. It sounds as though that is, for the most part, left for the weekends.

- doc

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
2nd vote for the S4, has one since they 1st hit the street with the B6 body style, (like centerpunch) got a set of snows, and it is even a great winter car (AWD)

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
I left the snow at age 24 and returned for a year of snow at 29 (was a grim reminder of sunrises after 8am and sunsets before 5pm) and now live where snow happens q3 years and then is about an inch and shuts down the City. So, that would not be a personal criteria.

However, now traffic is a very big consideration except for my drive to the office which is 7 miles of surburban roads.

I wondered if people had some personally modified Mustang or some ultra-cool Porsche that they drove to the office, something that made the end of the work day (or its beginning) a bit more bearable.

I had considered a BMW 6-series, a Porsche 911 or a Mercedes CLS; all are nice cars albeit not exciting cars (well, the Porsche could be if the right model were chosen).

Had not considered any Ford vehicles (for the kids), but I think that the Fusion looks good. Any special pricing available at present with all their financial woes?

- doc

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
how about the Ford 500 that the college made with the GT powerplant in it, that we got to see @ WHQ a week ago Friday? :)

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I just got the new Audi A6 with the 4.2 engine. Makes a very nice daily driver.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
eshrink said:
A Porsche 911 Coupe has always (have had them) appealed to me although the lease rates on them are quite unattractice. Other recommendations would be appreciated.
- doc

Doc,

I know, I know you didn't want to hear about 911s but I'll be receiving delivery of my fourth 911 next week (C4S Cab) and I think they make great daily drivers. Easy to drive, fun and very reliable. If you don't like the lease rates you may want to purchase one. If you get the right model and spec it right the resale, in my experience, is excellent.

Rob

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
My daily driver switches between these two (although the Shelby would qualify as a grocery getter, the Viper most definitely is not) , both are a blast to drive and if you like the American made muscle of the Ford GT, you can not go wrong with either of these:

Shelby Mustang GT500
B_GT500_07-1.jpg

B_GT500_02.jpg

B_GT500_03.jpg

Viper SRT-10 Coupe
Viper_4.jpg

Viper_1.jpg

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Rob:

I would need input as to how one best acquires a 911. The lease rate, as stated, is quite poor due to rapid falling of resale value. That said, I have always liked (and many years ago owned) 911s. My kids are unimpressed by them, but, then again, do not know their history. I have always felt that their build quality is exemplary, and their design is classic.

MK2_GT:

We owned two Vipers (SRT-10) over a two year period. I really liked the car, but I never knew where I could drive it. It certainly was not a daily driver. So, I could find no role for it. Yet, even though I traded it toward the GT, I do miss it. With top down, it was a truly fun car. I have my doubts that Deiter wants to continue to make them; they are not financially wise for Daimler to continue.

I saw a Shelby GT500 that matched my Ford GT today. Now that would be a fun daily driver. Wish the convertible was made with stripes.

-doc

cudacharlie

Dec 21, 2005
SoCal
Okay, since I don't have a GT you'll probably delete my post, but here's my daily driver. 425hp but very very civilized. Big, yes. Heavy, yes. Drives like a brick on rails, yes. Hauls a 20-space flight-case rack full of computers and hard drives with room to put a surfboard in alongside. Got it to tide me over till the Challenger comes out, but I may have to keep it for the long haul. High-performance station wagons with Brembos and 20's aren't exactly thick on the ground these days, so it's an interesting (to me) brain-fart on the part of Detroit. Drives great, and sounds like Nascar when you punch it.

srt8hollywood3.jpg

For sunny days, I'll use the "other" driver...

CudaHollywoodSQUARE.jpg

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Groceries...

Daily driver is a Land Rover LR3. (Ford!) Very nice car, but a bit heavy and underpowered. Just needs more torque. Other daily driver is sometimes an 04, Ford F350. But a headache to park with the 8’ bed! Don’t drive any of the other cars as it does not look good to employees or customers! :frown

Doc, depending whose driving, especially for the kids, you might want to consider the Honda Element. Great value and a solid car with great resale. I used one for 18 months as a daily driver and it was terrific. Loads of room, not too slow if you rev the heck out of it and handled very well with Yokahama ER100’s. With 54k miles on it now – I think we’ve spent $400 total in services. No problems at all.

Gordo

PS: Weekend grocery getter...

Attachments

• Gordon's Morgan.jpg
    Gordon's Morgan.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited: